The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

Maybe the £15m is to balance the books. Sometimes in business you have to make hard decisions - we're stuck with some deadwood so maybe we need to shift someone who might generate some funds

good post.  Would we rather sell others.  of course.   But most of those would have extremely little value.  Especially those I would like to give away. ;)

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I remember the soul searching, when Andy Gray, John Deehan and John Gidman all left together.....Imagine that lot going.

We brought in Kenny Swain and Peter Withe and can't quite remember

we went on to win the league and Euro Cup.

Provided and this is the crucial bit.......That the people who are doing it know what they are doing......let them get on with it.

Kenny Swain was already with us. Along with Peter Withe we also brought in Des Bremner, Tony Morley, Dave Geddis, Pat Heard, Mike Pejic, Terry Bullivant and Terry Donovan during that same season that we sold Gray, Deehan and Gidman along with John Gregory at an overall profit. As I recall I was more than worried about those outgoing transfers back then which goes to prove we can usually trust the best of managers (which Ron was without doubt) to know what they are doing. ;)  

1 hour ago, avfc1982 said:

It'd be such short term and small time decision to sell Grealish. He's the best prospect we've had in years and it would send out a terrible message out about the club. We'd rather keep no-marks like Gardner and Westwood and co yet sell one of the country's hottest prospects to a 2 bob club like Boro. It'd also cast a dark shadow over Xia in my opinion. is he really ambitious? This doesn't sound like the actions of an ambitious chairman. 

FFS the bloke has already put tens or hundreds of millions into the club. He's bankrolled every purchase that RDM and SB have asked for and shown himself already to be wildly ambitious. If he thinks selling Grealish is in the best interests of the club I'm 100% behind him. It's incredible that we feel so entitled that we might go against the saviour of our club because he is considering a deal for a bit part player 

Edited by VillaCas

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Wow, I don't find ridicule of someone who disagrees particularly persuasive.  

It wasnt riducule

I am serious

But to respond to what I think is the substance of your argument..... I think you are saying that mentality can be coached.  Is that correct? 

Yes, and I have changed my "mentality" through life as I have learned and taken on responsibilities.

Someone in a field where instant "support" can be even more effective than my humble surroundings

If so, I would think we mean different things when we use the word "mentality."  Mental health is not the same as the mentality of a successful athlete.  

Mentality has nothing to do with mental health

We agree that value is circumstantial.  Which is why I said that if he fails to realize the potential we see in him, his value will drop (and I expect both will happen).  A lot of his current value is in his potential.  Read the arguments that support him here and I think you'll see it is a common view.    

Boro need goals

However they just splashed 6mill pn a player who has regrest since he was noticable at B'burn.

How much was McC?

it seems we didnt do our homework

point being - Market value = 100% unpredictable

ffs we got shot of Lescott so did the greeks now he's back at S'land

WTF???

If I'm right and he does not advance toward his potential, the circumstances will have changed and his value will drop.  

see above - not true

Finally on who I know.... we can compare if you want, but I don't think that's really the point.  It seems as if you are under the impression that undermining my credibility is the way to make your point.  I don't intend to play tit for tat.   Cheers

Bob Bradley by any chance?

Sorry, could resist that bit of sarcasm

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's the new Lee Hendrie. 

I had a look at their 1st team involvement by age to see how close they actually are to each other, and even statistically it's remarkably close.  "Age" below refers to the age that they were for the majority of that season.  Suffice it to say both were very young when they made their debuts, but also worth pointing out that Lee was in a much better Villa side.

Lee Hendrie   Jack Grealish
Age Season Lge Apps   Age Season Lge Apps
17 1994/95 0   17 2012/13 0
18 1995/96 3   18 2013/14 1
19 1996/97 4   19 2014/15 17
20 1997/98 17   20 2015/16 16
21 1998/99 32   21 2016/17 21*
22 1999/00 28        
23 2000/01 32        
24 2001/02 29        
25 2002/03 27        
26 2003/04 32        
27 2004/05 29        
28 2005/06 16        
29 2006/07 1        
  • Like 1

If we sold Jack it would undo all of the fantastic work we have done in this window in my opinion. 

Its not just about his ability, its about what he represents to us as Villa fans. He is our embodiment on the pitch. A Holte Ender who realised his dream and made it on to the park. Obviously at a certain point if he doesn't develop and make any progress we could sell him, but we are so far away from that point and he has so much time to grow and develop it would be absurd to cash in now. 

That being said, I think the tweet is being misinterpreted so there is nothing to worry about! 

• Like 1

I'd be a little disappointed in Jack if he wanted to go to Boro actually.

He must see all the money and work the Dr is putting in to change this football club, Jack could be a huge part of that with the club he's been at his whole life.

If it was Spurs interested then yeah I'd understand, but he still needs to develop, so why not do that here? 

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I had a look at their 1st team involvement by age to see how close they actually are to each other, and even statistically it's remarkably close.  "Age" below refers to the age that they were for the majority of that season.  Suffice it to say both were very young when they made their debuts, but also worth pointing out that Lee was in a much better Villa side.

Lee Hendrie   Jack Grealish
Age Season Lge Apps   Age Season Lge Apps
17 1994/95 0   17 2012/13 0
18 1995/96 3   18 2013/14 1
19 1996/97 4   19 2014/15 17
20 1997/98 17   20 2015/16 16
21 1998/99 32   21 2016/17 21*
22 1999/00 28        
23 2000/01 32        
24 2001/02 29        
25 2002/03 27        
26 2003/04 32        
27 2004/05 29        
28 2005/06 16        
29 2006/07 1        

Why dont we compare the teams they were playing.  Massive difference in them ability wise.

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Why dont we compare the teams they were playing.  Massive difference in them ability wise.

Feel free.  I was just curious about their first team involvement.

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd be a little disappointed in Jack if he wanted to go to Boro actually.

He must see all the money and work the Dr is putting in to change this football club, Jack could be a huge part of that with the club he's been at his whole life.

If it was Spurs interested then yeah I'd understand, but he still needs to develop, so why not do that here? 

If he's told he's not in the clubs plans and they want rid then you couldn't really blame him.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Feel free.  I was just curious about their first team involvement.

Yes i know that, wasnt getting at you, just think its a mute point as we cant really compare them because of the teams they were in.

35 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

good post.  Would we rather sell others.  of course.   But most of those would have extremely little value.  Especially those I would like to give away. ;)

I agree, and there needs to be buyers,

But although others might have little sell on value, but getting shot of Hutton, Westwood, Gabby, Richards, and Bacuna would save a fortune in salaries.

However you cut it, the upshot is that we should not and do not NEED to sell Jack.    

Â