The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

43 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I think Grealish has actually been one of our better players this season, and whenever he is dropped it is fairly obvious we need him on the pitch. He's doing well in the championship which is a very physical, tough league. I think after his experience in this league. he will be brilliant in the prem and I'll be gutted if he leaves. He's one of our own.

One assist and one tackle in 21 games. After starting well, one goal in last 17 games. Overall he scores less than once every 20 games - how is he 'doing well'? He's very average in the Championship, so I'm not sure how that indicates that he will be 'brilliant' in the Premiership. 

He couldn't command a regular starting spot in a struggling mid-table team, so not sure how that would improve as three new first choice midfielders turn up. 

If Middleborough make a reasonable offer I'd take it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Also, because he's creative, you need runners around you, as I'll keep on saying, we're so static when we have the ball what exactly is he meant to do? 

Exactly. Creative players rely on that. Pirlo would've be pretty poor without it.

Another thing is most players aren't intelligent enough to find him when he's the one making the run. McCormack's made a few 1-2s which've got him in to the box, but that's it. And once he's in the box he's a nightmare, won us a few points winning penalties already.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Don't know where this nonsense about him having only made 1 tackle in 21 games is coming from. But against Preston he made 2. So unless he made -1 tackles in the previous 20 games, I'm going to go ahead and call it nonsense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rjenkins said:

Jack Grealish is one of the players in this current Villa squad that I would not want us to sell under any circumstances. I feel he has improved this season and he's the player that opposition teams worry about most when they play us in my opinion.

A midfield of Hourihane and Lansbury behind him will do wonders for his game as we won't be so static in midfield and he'll have more options when on the ball. I see he is attracting criticism for winning so many free kicks but surely set pieces are an opportunity?

Not when our players take them they ain't. 

• Like 1

For me he's one of our own and he should remain our own player. There is not enough money in the whole of Middlesbrough for them to buy Jack!

I accept that there would be less distractions up there than there are in the Las Vegas of the Midlands but I think the signs are that Jack is starting to address his "party boy" image with us.

He does need to make more of an impact on games and to remember to chase back more often but he has been a marked man in this league and has had little to no protection from referees. Following our new signings we will have more than one midfield player for opponents to worry about so I expect him to begin to shine in the second half of the season with the extra space he will get.

Jack has it in him to become a great Villa player and I would not be in any rush to listen to what is nothing but a cheeky enquiry from Boro made in case they can't tempt their other targets to sign for them.    

Edited by John
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Think this is the key argument for keeping Jack.

I must admit, there is a nagging with me that he might improve with the right players around him.....but for us to move on we must be sure that we can rely on EVERY player to produce.....there is no room when you are going for promotion to carry players, in the hope that.......

when I look at our line up in the past and I focus on each individual player on paper, I ask myself the question...."what can I expect from you"....."an attacking performance, a defensive performance or both"

with Jack I am unsure, what I am going to get......that for me, that spells, weakness in the team.

ps moving forward,I think we have to become less precious with promises, in relation to players potential.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I agree, we shouldn't sell Jack to Boro, that move would destroy him.

I hear the party scene is terrible and its full of Geordies.

I said the same thing about Ayew but he is like the opposite of Gabby in his prime. Gabby always looked clunky and awkward, never really looked like a footballer, but he had a great end product and the whole team seemed to improve when he played, he had a real positive impact on our games. Grealish looks classy, looks a proper footballer but offers next to no end product when he plays and often it seems that he is holding the team back (by slowing the play etc), his impact on our games is at best negligible, and at worst a hindrance

If he was 25/26 or over I'd sell him without a second thought but he's 21 years old, it doesn't click into place for everyone at the same time and he has several years yet to adapt his game and improve. You can see he has potential, and at the moment that's all it is, potential, but in a few years he could turn into a very good player. He might never improve and leave on a free to a league 2 team in a few years or he could become an asset for a team at the top end of the PL, for the sake of whatever (no doubt meagre) sum Boro are offering I think it's worth the risk to see how he turns out here  

look at it this way. somewhere in the hinterlands of North east England/ south east Scotland there are fans hoping to see a youtube highlights video of their latest rumoured transfer target. I would say that if one were to be made of this season it would be pretty damn short and made up mainly of our Jack taking a nice touch, creating space, then getting fouled for holding the ball too long or taking a touch too many. This is not all his fault.

In previous seasons, when he had mobile midfielders such as Cleverley and the snake who wont be named, he thrived. Westwood (who i rate incidently) is not mobile and doesnt make forward runs. Gardner (who I dont rate) doesnt make clever runs. And Jedinak (who isnt a footballer) cant run. 

Jack would improve the rest of the season with the midfield coming in. Guaranteed. So I truly hope we dont sell him. Though the docs message seemed to suggest he will be sold 

1 minute ago, AJ said:

I agree, we shouldn't sell Jack to Boro, that move would destroy him.

I hear the party scene is terrible and its full of Geordies.

That's going to upset a few barcodes, well done.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I must admit, there is a nagging with me that he might improve with the right players around him.....but for us to move on we must be sure that we can rely on EVERY player to produce.....there is no room when you are going for promotion to carry players, in the hope that.......

when I look at our line up in the past and I focus on each individual player on paper, I ask myself the question...."what can I expect from you"....."an attacking performance, a defensive performance or both"

with Jack I am unsure, what I am going to get......that for me, that spells, weakness in the team.

ps moving forward,I think we have to become less precious with promises, in relation to players potential.

Apart from maybe 8-10m, what do we gain from selling him? Much better than to hold on and get the best out of him. In 3/4 years if he is still not improving I am sure we can still get 4/5m. 

Â