The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

Analogies are fun.  But they all have weaknesses.  This one assumes the value will increase with a bit of care and attention and time.   IMO the more we treat Jack as a golden child, the less likely he is to come good and increase value.   If you assume or guarantee he will rise to all his obvious  potential with some time, care and tending.  I would agree we should keep him at all costs.  I'm just more inclined to assume the opposite.  I think it's more likely he will not mature to his potential.  

To say Grealish is a golden child is a bit far from the mark. He really isn't, but he could be good for us. So many times we have sold players prematurely, because we got blindsided by sacks of gold. Remember Cahill?

Grealish's last game, he was awful. He had one good moment with the involvement with the goal, but the rest of the game he was dishing out schoolboy stuff. The difference between him and a lot of other players we have when they put in a poor game is that they wish that they could do better, but Grealish knows he can do better, as he has done before.

He is not the golden child. He is not the Messiah. He is a naughty boy though, but age and maturity will not only change his behaviour, but also the way he plays. He will be a much better player at 25 than he is at 21, and it would be more satisfying to see him be that player at Villa than some other club. How much better, we will have to wait and find out.

• Like 3

It would be utter madness to sell Grealish at this moment in time! UTTER MADNESS!!!

When I read comments by Villa fans such as...massive liability, gets fouled to much, (how dare he!) surplus to requirements, bit part player, championship will remain his level...well, I just despair! I feel, rightly or wrongly, that he's being judged for more than his footballing ability. 

The stand out moment for me, surely ALL Villa fans, in this last half a decade off relentless shite, was the Liverpool semi. The day when our best two players of that half a decade and a raw, homegrown 19 year old dragged us from a goal down against the hot favourites. 

The pride and joy of that day was magnified by the performance of Grealish. One of our own!

Nearly two years on, I'd have expected to have seen a lot, lot more from him by now. Let's look at the whole picture though. 

His detractors keep banging on about "no end product". No end product in a team that was one of the worst in the history of PL football, under managers with no clue, surrounded by players with very little ability, and even less desire.

On to this season, similar problems, playing in a team that has weekly failed to match the desire of their always "up for it" opponents. Couple this with their frightening inability to do schoolboy soccer basics like move into space, keep the ball moving. 

Someone posted about his end product for the U21s. Compared to his statistics at Villa, it's like they're for a different player. 6 appearances, 2 goals, 4 assists, 2 motm, I think.

Is this end product acceptable???      

This is why selling the, probably, most naturally talented player we have developed since the days of Yorke and Barry at this moment in time would be utter madness and, for me, unforgivable.

I'm not going to say he's definitely going to be the Messiah, there are no guarantees, and he's got a lot of hard work ahead of him but, ffs, if you can't see his massive potential...well, I can't help you there.

Let's judge him in a team that has Lansbury and Hourihane at it's heart, not Westwood and Gardner.

Edit. Just noticed similarities with markavfc40's post. I wasn't plagiarising mate.We're just great minds, I think! ;)

Edited by SidSidSidSid
To make a comment about a previous post
  • Like 3

Guys no club is going to offer silly money for Grealish.  He is nothing special and isn't going anywhere for the time being. 

Edit: maybe that was worded wrongly as he obviously has talent. I just don't think he has shown enough to warrant a big offer and at the same time we're not about to sell him on the cheap.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Jesus what the hell is happening?

Why would you ruin such a good window with such a dumb move?

I thought Dr T was different. 

I doubt it would come from Dr T, it;s more likely to be a Bruce thing surely?

Just now, PieFacE said:

I doubt it would come from Dr T, it;s more likely to be a Bruce thing surely?

Then the Dr is a fool. Managers are short term appointments. You support them while they're here but at the same time you don't ruin some long term prospects. 

Grealish will hit his prime in about 5 years. Bruce will not be villa manager in 5 years time. 

The only way it would make sense is if it was on loan till the end of the season as a makeweight for Rhodes.

Also, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, Bruce is a disciplinarian no?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, brommy said:

I don't see what there is to think that Grealish is leaving.

Probably that bit about his brother saying 'let's wait and see'! And Xia responding to people earlier complaining about selling Grealish with patronising crap about this being a business. That's basically what he said. I'm not trying to stir things up, but there's a few things that point to Grealish potentially going. 

• Like 1

His brother used to be on VT but realised it was better to keep quiet about his brother. I don't see any change in what he has recently said. I also don't take Tony's tweet as 'patronising crap'. I'm not saying Grealish won't leave, the same as I wouldn't say for certain that any of our players won't leave, but at the moment it all seems something of nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we'd be stupid to sell him unless for silly money and we'd be absolutely barmy to consider swapping him for Jordan Rhodes even with a couple of mill on top coming our way.

He is 21 years old and has shown that in terms of natural ability he has more than anyone else at the club. At 21. That tells you that there is more to come from him.

I get that some will say that he hasn't really kicked on since getting into the side under Sherwood two years ago. Lets look at the reasons why that might be though. Over those two years he has played under 5 managers. Has been part of a squad that had the worst season in our history. Part of a squad with senior players in Gabby, Richards, Lescott setting a diabolical example. Hardly an environment for a young player still developing trying to flourish in is it.

I haven't forgotten he has been a pratt by the way but under a strong manager with good senior influences I don't believe that would have happened. Regardless though it happens.

This season despite playing much of it under a manager without a clue and being pushed from wide midfield to the centre and with in an unbalanced team I think overall he has done ok and been involved with many of our few positive moments. At times he has looked unplayable and has been kicked from pillar to post because of it. I think his work rate has improved as well and he tracks back much more and is happy to put a tackle in. He has also at times been anonymous.

I want to see him in a team that is winning games. In a team that is balanced. In a side with players around him that can help get the best out of him. In his short career he hasn't ever had that yet as still at times stood out like a sore thumb in terms of how natural he looks on the ball and how much natural ability he has.

Just as we have gotten a manager who knows what he is doing which hopefully means some stability in the managerial and coaching staff, just as we look like we have finally gotten a balanced squad do some seriously think this is a time to let a player like Grealish go? I think we now have the perfect environment for a player like Grealish to gain confidence and really flourish. At the very least we have to allow ourselves the time find out.

Absolutely spot on and again you are the voice of reason.

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

IMO those that say he cannot, must not be sold are.   Any player can and should be sold if the price is right.

It depends if you need the money though right? 

I mean sure, he's not that good that he doesn't have a price. But do we really need £12m say? Even if we need to raise a few pennies, aren't there other players who could go first? I like Ayew, but I'd flog him over Jack without a moment's thought. 

It's all relative though. I don't think anyone anywhere is saying we shouldn't sell him at ANY price, are they? Just that nobody would pay what he's worth to us. 

• Like 1

Â