The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

After 5-6 years of passing, second rate, insignificant, forgettable players like Holman, El Ahmadi and Tonev pulling on the Villa shirt, it's been quite exciting seeing a Villa supporting, local academy product with the potential to become a club legend coming through.

But whatevs, sell him -_-

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Replying to you without posting it all again just to keep the board clean.

So we agree that mental health is not the same as a players "mentality."   Clearly professionals can help with the former.  But I still think we are using different definitions of mentality.  I would not define it as intelligent play (seeing and picking the right pass, or making the right run). I would not define it as awareness or mental quickness (anticipating the passing sequence, knowing where teammates and opposition are and are likely to go, knowing what you will do with the ball before it is played to you).  All of those can be be coached.  

What I don't think can be coached is the drive to dominate.  The heart to defy physics if that's what's required to win.  Jack, to me, seems content to look and play silky smooth.  I think he is happy looking talented and showing his skill.  He doesn't have the aggressive "kill the opponent" passion that I see in those that become great.  THAT, I don't think, can be coached.   In fact, I think treating him like a golden child that cannot be sacrificed would make it even less likely for him to develop that mentality.

The greats don't care if they look good.  They only care if they win.

FWIW, I don't think we need to sell Jack because he's crap.  He's not, and his potential is clear.  I just think we should be OPEN to selling Jack if the right offer came.

Potential has a value.

And, to be fair to those who disagree with me, I am much more doubtful than some that he will ever reach his potential. 

In fact, I think that if the club treat him like a golden child that could not possibly be sacrificed, it will make it less likely for him to reach his potential.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

What I don't think can be coached is the drive to dominate.  The heart to defy physics if that's what's required to win.  Jack, to me, seems content to look and play silky smooth.  I think he is happy looking talented and showing his skill.  He doesn't have the aggressive "kill the opponent" passion that I see in those that become great.  THAT, I don't think, can be coached.   In fact, I think treating him like a golden child that cannot be sacrificed would make it even less likely for him to develop that mentality.

I disagree

Through personal experience I though I was never capable of being my own boss. I always had partners to confer or rely on.

One day when the shit hit the fan I said F**** this

This needed a wake up/mew mentality.

I'd seen it many times by colleagues and indeed employees

Sometimes "it" just has to click.

JG is still a kid

one day he will click and be a man. His talent deserves a chance for that day to come

or tell me that you've had the same mentality throughout your whole life?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

FWIW, I don't think we need to sell Jack because he's crap.  He's not, and his potential is clear.  I just think we should be OPEN to selling Jack if the right offer came.

Potential has a value.

And, to be fair to those who disagree with me, I am much more doubtful than some that he will ever reach his potential. 

In fact, I think that if the club treat him like a golden child that could not possibly be sacrificed, it will make it less likely for him to reach his potential.

I think the club are open to selling anyone if the right offer came in, as are all clubs.  Whatever that offer may be is up for debate.  It's a cliché that every player has their price, but it's true.

Now I absolutely do not want Jack sold and have said so further up the thread.  For me the right offer for him would be north of £15m because he's easily capable of performing in the Premier League.  I get the impression others would get rid of him for significantly less than that, and I think that would be a terrible mistake.  We don't need the money and we would have sold huge potential.

• Like 2

North of £15m is a must if we were to sell. I'd also want a % of a sell on fee in the future just in case in 5 years the market continues to go crazy and someone from China buys him for £100m. 

However, I'd prefer Jack to stay and become an incredible player for us. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

These rumours are starting to piss me off.

Look at how badly we've been stung by selling our best young talent in the past.
- Gary Cahill. I mean, I could have told you he was destined to be one of England's best centre backs based on his few appearances for Villa. How the hell can't people who are paid to be 'football men' not have seen this at the time?
- Marc Albrighton. OK, not on the same level as Gary Cahill but he's got a Premier League winner's medal on his mantelpiece.
- Steven Davis - Has gone on to have a fantastic career. Oh, and I think he was our POTS when we sold him.

Grealish is very much in the same category as the above. He isn't always great and can certainly go missing but for f*** sake, give the lad time. We've finally managed to get ourselves into a position where we actually have two good central midfielders and there's talk of selling a player who would thrive on movement and quality around him? Madness.

Listen, Jack Grealish may never be a world beater and may be finished at 25, but selling him now, when he has that much natural ability, is absolute madness.
He's a Villa fan. Give him a run of games as a no.10 and let's see what he can do.

UTV

I know

Madness, utter madness.

Utter Madness

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Not seen anyone say that "us being shit is a Grealish issue". His average form is just one factor. There are plenty of others

I don't think his form is average. His form is ridiculously inconsistent and he can be the best player on the park, nay division, one week and a complete waste of a shirt the next. However, what he will do consistently is keep looking for an opportunity to impress himself on the game. I have never seen Jack down tools as has been suggested in this thread, even last season when his form on and off the pitch was in the toilet, he still wanted the ball. 

Jack has only this season turned 21. So at the start of it, he was still 20 years old. He has had a lot of pressure placed on his shoulders for such a young lad in a team that is in a constant state of flux, without a midfield to support him when things aren't going so well. No movement around him to take advantage of the ability which defines him. His decision making is poor at times, but then outside of Kodjia, occasionally Adomah and fleeting glimpses from others he has at no point had much of a decision to make. So he holds onto the ball, dithers with it. Get's fouled.

3 goals, 1 assist (though it should be 2 in fairness) and 3 penalties won isn't a bad return for a 21 year old under the circumstances. It's not great, but it's worth keeping hold of for sure.

When the team is playing well Jack is a much better player for it. Yes he's a bit of a luxury player, but he also has the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Or not, as can also be the case. Though my main point is yeah, Grealish doesn't do 'average' form. He's an all or nothing player and hopefully as he matures we can see more of the 'all'. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

Lee Hendri produced a lot more than Jack has to date. 

It wasn't until age 21 that Lee Hendrie really started to show consistent form, even though he too made his debut at 18. He wasn't a regular until 98/99.

Worth remembering that. 

Not sure why but I got the impressions Xia wanted to keep the few "local lad's" we have left.

It's the only reason I can see for giving Gardner a new contract.

So I'd be really surprised (and disappointed) if we sold Grealish in this window.

Obviously everyone has a price, but for me it would take a lot more than a swap for Rhodes to sell Grealish.

Jack annoys me a times because of his inconsistency but selling him would be one of the worst decisions this club has made and would completely ruin a very good window.

That being said, I don't think there's a chance at all he's going anywhere, especially to bloody Middlesbrough.

Â