The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, BOF said:

FTFY :P 

Cheers BOF! 

Players develop at different rates as well of course, Hendrie had a MUCH better team around him too. 

I wouldn't sell a player like Lee Hendrie at this age for £15m in the market as it is now. He didn't necessarily kick on as he could have, but he was a good player for us for almost a decade in a good Villa side. People seem to think those kind of players grow on trees. 

The comparison in style is valid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Does he start for us with these new signings?  I'm not so sure...  certainly hope he has a large part to play for the rest of the season, though.

No, he probably doesn't. And maybe that's a good thing. 

Maybe he can go from the saviour of Aston Villa to a young player with potential playing on occasions and coming off the bench in others.

I really do think it would be madness to get rid. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Cheers BOF! 

Players develop at different rates as well of course, Hendrie had a MUCH better team around him too. 

I wouldn't sell a player like Lee Hendrie at this age for £15m in the market as it is now. He didn't necessarily kick on as he could have, but he was a good player for us for almost a decade in a good Villa side. People seem to think those kind of players grow on trees. 

The comparison in style is valid. 

Hendrie's boyish looks made him a 'promising youngster' until he was about 27 years of age as well :D  When you look back, he had a pretty fine Villa career.  It's only when you compare it to what we expected from the 21 year old, that we say he never quite fulfilled his potential.  By any reasonable benchmark he did well.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Hendrie's boyish looks made him a 'promising youngster' until he was about 27 years of age as well :D  When you look back, he had a pretty fine Villa career.  It's only when you compare it to what we expected from the 21 year old, that we say he never quite fulfilled his potential.  By any reasonable benchmark he did well.

Indeed. Scored some memorable goals, put his stamp on The Premier League. The other thing to remember about Lee as well is that he never got a hold of his off the field issues, until very recently. He suffered with depression and alcoholism, something we hope doesn't happen to Jack obviously. Other than that, the similarities are startling in every way. Jack is a better dribbler, Hendrie has more vision, but similar ability, height, build, career trajectory, hype...

To sum up, to sell Lee Hendrie at 21 would have been **** bonkers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I disagree

Through personal experience I though I was never capable of being my own boss. I always had partners to confer or rely on.

One day when the shit hit the fan I said F**** this

This needed a wake up/mew mentality.

I'd seen it many times by colleagues and indeed employees

Sometimes "it" just has to click.

JG is still a kid

one day he will click and be a man. His talent deserves a chance for that day to come

or tell me that you've had the same mentality throughout your whole life?

fair enough.  My mentality has changed - but it was up to me to change it.  The drive to do it right and dominate, I still contend, is not something that can be coached.  Paul McGrath, Gary Cahill, and even Albrighton had it.   Lee Hendrie did not. 

Also, for what it's worth.  My mentality (at least in the way I'm using the word) did not change until I was far to old to be useful as a player.

Far too soon to consider selling him yet.For his age, he is a very good footballer who at the moment, does'nt quite know when to release the ball, and probably does'nt score enough, but he is , what 20?.........if in 2 years time he is still making the same mistakes, then i would consider whether he is going to learn or not.Put it this way we have another player here, Ayew , who is far worse for that than Jack.

Keep him, he could turn out to be a very very good player.

• Like 2

I know this probably sounds like a bit of a cop out, but i think I'll trust the judgment of Bruce and his team on this one. He has talent yes, but his attitude has been questionable, if Bruce and his team thing x amount is to good to turn down I'd be happy to sell. 

31 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

fair enough.  My mentality has changed - but it was up to me to change it.  The drive to do it right and dominate, I still contend, is not something that can be coached.  Paul McGrath.... had it.  

Debatable. God played football as his escape, but it's a real odd choice of somebody to hold up as an example for Jack. 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Wait? What? Been off the internet all day.... Don't sell Jack 

People are panicking over nothing - no suggestion that we would sell grealish to boro whatsoever and why would he be interested in going there - not happening .

boro may want him but they have no chance of getting him - if villa did sell there would be a queue of far better clubs after him than boro .

I think now,  is not the right time to sell grealish, imo. He is, without doubt, the most naturally talented player at the club, his close control is fantastic. He's just not effective though, is he? He gets the ball and runs with it. He hasn't got the speed to take it past players so generally, he stops, looks up, and sees there is no one to pass to because the defence has regrouped. He does this all the time. He looks great on the ball but what is the end product?....very little a lot of the time. 

He needs to develop his game before he is worthy of a regular premier league start, and I think we should try and make sure he does that at villa. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Rhetorical question really but do you actually think he is that good?

I wouldn't say I'm his biggest fan.  In many ways he reminds me of lee hendrie too much.  However of all the players who's come through our youth system he is the one who i think stands a chance of having all the attributes required to be a complete player in a relevant modern position on the pitch.  I could list out all our other successes and give you one fundemental flaw.

Eg Barry had a great career but if only he had a bit more pace and agility then world class. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Debatable. God played football as his escape, but it's a real odd choice of somebody to hold up as an example for Jack. 

I bow to your knowledge of McGrath.  He was before my time.  I just remember seeing highlights of him when his commitment to his role was unbelievable.  Almost deying the laws of physics as he threw himself into one block or one challenge after another.  There was, it seemed, only one thing on his mind.  It seemed to me that he played like  "Those clearing's in the woods will get past me over my dead body!" That mentality is what I don't see in Jack.  (modified to fit the role on the team of course.)  I've said multiple times and ways that Jack seems to me to be content to look good as he shows his admittedly impressive abilities.

Don't sell Grealish,

Jack Grealish,

I just don't think you understand,

He'll always win a foul,

With Kodjia's on the prowl,

We're going up with a bang.    

(needs work).

Edited by guyavfc

5 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Yeah he's clearly saying Jack's potentially going. I agree with the mirror take in it (I know I know) but it seems to connect the dots. We want Rhodes and money for jack. 

Personally I 100% think it'd be a shame to sell him. I've lost faith recently but you've got to wonder how he'd do with hopefully better players around him. He has potential. Don't sell jack to fund Rhodes pleeeease tony. Just sell the actual dead weight if possible.

Would be shame as that would be a very shortsighted piece of business. The Rhodes deal is only "good business" if we continue to be poor and don't gain promotion. Jack's ceiling is obviously as a Premier League player, Rhodes' isn't.

• Like 1

Â