The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Thought he was going to turn the game for us again today. 

Went on some brilliant runs where he looked like he was going to lose out but still came away with the ball and made one brilliant crunching tackle and came away with the ball to attack. 

Shame really but Jack did well again tonight. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Went on some brilliant runs where he looked like he was going to lose out but still came away with the ball and made one brilliant crunching tackle and came away with the ball to attack. 

Agree, the most annoying thing was, that when he went on the runs and beat all the players, he never had a single player available to pass the ball to, the other players seemed to want him to do it all on his own. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think he is our most important player at present and had he have been fit enough to start yesterday I think he could have been the difference between winning and losing.

It was unfortunate that with in minutes of him coming on Leeds took the lead as they then sat back and didn't allow him the space higher up the pitch he would otherwise have been afforded had the scores stayed level.

It is becoming clear now that he needs to play as an attacking midfielder and not as a wide forward and I think it is also now clear that he can do the dirty side of the game and can put a foot in and track back.

For now I would go with Jedi and Westwood as the deeper lying midfielders with Grealish in front of them and then a front three. Grealish can provide the creativity, get beyond the forwards into the box and link the midfield and attack. I'd also like the see McCormack come back into the side as I think him and Grealish could link up well.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

If anyone has ever read the 'Moneyball' book, Grealish is the exact opposite of what teams would be looking for.

He looks for all the world like he is influencing the game but the overwhelming majority of his contributions come in non-threatening areas of the pitch.

I know Jack appears to be having a renaissance at the moment and opinion of him is high but 3 goals and 6 assists in 61 games is very poor return.

He needs to make much more impact and contribution - the odd feint or mazy run looks good but ultimately delivers nothing

On the plus side, he at least looks like he's trying at the moment

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaCas said:

If anyone has ever read the 'Moneyball' book, Grealish is the exact opposite of what teams would be looking for.

He looks for all the world like he is influencing the game but the overwhelming majority of his contributions come in non-threatening areas of the pitch.

I know Jack appears to be having a renaissance at the moment and opinion of him is high but 3 goals and 6 assists in 61 games is very poor return.

He needs to make much more impact and contribution - the odd feint or mazy run looks good but ultimately delivers nothing

On the plus side, he at least looks like he's trying at the moment

In the last game he started he won a penalty. Against Brighton when he came on he caused endless problems. And using his overall appearances as a criticism is daft, how many of those were short sub appearances. 

Seems a strange time to start criticising him just as he's starting to do the things you're criticising him for. 

It makes you wonder why a player with supposedly so much talent, can't force his way into the starting 11 of a mid table Championship team who lack creativity.

If he was even half as good as some have made out, then he would be the first name on the team sheet every week. If it's not ability then it's attitude. Either way, he needs to improve for us to have a shot at the play offs as.

I would like to see this setup for a few games when McCormack is fit to try and get the best out of both him and Jack.

Jedinak

Westwood Grealish

Adomah                Kodjia

McCormack

or

Jedinak

Westwood Grealish

Adomah               McCormack

Kodjia

• Like 1

I think at the moment, if Kodjia and Adomah are definites (and I hope they are) then you're looking at one of Grealish or Ayew in away games with three proper midfielders behind them and in home games a choice of two of Ayew, Grealish and McCormack with two proper midfielders behind them.

At the moment I think Bruce has it right, Grealish starting all the home ones and coming on in the away ones. 

• Like 2

I'm reasonably happy with Jack's progress so far this season. He's that bit tougher, a bit more direct and has been able to influence games. Not as much as we all want him to, but he has contributed. Lets hope Bruce can keep him developing and he might just become his potential. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

At the moment I think Bruce has it right, Grealish starting all the home ones and coming on in the away ones. 

Not for me. He should be starting every game. I don't subscribe to playing one way at home and another away from home. Play your best eleven, the location of the grass they are playing on shouldn't affect them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not for me. He should be starting every game. I don't subscribe to playing one way at home and another away from home. Play your best eleven, the location of the grass they are playing on shouldn't affect them. 

That's interesting and I think in principal I agree with you - for me our best eleven is the 4-3-3 not the 4-2-3-1 - the "away" formation if you like. I'm not sure whether I'd pick Grealish or Ayew in that one.

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Agreed, we shouldn't be adapting to the Leeds United's of this world, we should be playing our best side and beating them.

He really should be scoring and assisting more at this level. He has looked better of late.. but we need more of him. Will struggle at premier league level if he cant perform at this level. I think the goals will come for him if he keeps working hard.. he just doesnt get into good scoring positions often... and when he does he doesnt shoot. 

He needs to have 15 games in a row and I think we will see what he is about.

He has a rare talent and I really noticed it against Leeds, it is the ability to receive the ball with your back to goal and be marked and to be able to turn and get motoring towards goal.  This is not an easy thing to do, and once in this position it creates space for everyone else and leads to defenders retreating, deciding whether to asssist the tackler or track the runners, it is this half yard that will give kodjia and Adomah and McCormack if he plays the space to get in on goal.

I Think David Silva ( not saying he is as good) is the type of player Grealish can become.

Compare him to Westwood (who I thought was ok) he receives the ball back to goal and 90% is forced to play the way he is facing.  

• Like 2

Â