The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Assists shmassists I say ....

Assist stats right up there with possession stats for being amongst the most worthless bits of information in football

Also not overly into quoting career stats for a guy that's spent it in one of the worst sides to grace the Premier League.

Three goals you say ? Isn't that still  25% of those scored when he's played lol. What were we getting, about a goal every 20 games !

Seen Sir Brian's name mentioned - played in a far far better side and yet was ALSO often criticised for lack of end product. Very few suggested not playing him though.

IMO whilst there have been / may still be doubts over his temperament I struggle to see how anyone can doubt his talent. Criticising his contribution has more merit but as I've said, look at the shower of shite he's been stuck with.

I think he has already looked very good at times this season and will get better and better the more he plays.

• Like 3

Plenty of excuses for minimal contribution - I bet if he had lots of goals and assists the stats wouldn't be so "meaningless"

Less than a goal every 20 games and less than one assist every 10 games is not good enough

He might turn into a decent player, he might not, lets hope he does

• Like 2

The lad is starting to do the right things. He seems more serious about his football and I like some of the things he is doing off the field too. 

Lets not go throwing the baby out with the bath water. He is 21 not 31. 

He irritates the absolute crap out of me sometimes but he still has not had a prolonged run of games. IMO I wouldn't even called him experienced yet. 

Wouldn't be surprised if when, and I mean when, we go back up that Grealish is an integral part of the new Premier League 'Villa'

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

He might turn into a decent player, he might not, lets hope he does

I for one would be hugely disappointed if he became only a 'decent' player. Given the hype, the tug of war between england/Ireland and the billy big bollocks swagger he displays, I've always expected big things from jack. 

He's delivered in the smallest of moments.

About time we produced some quality players who delivered. No, not everyone can turn put to be top players but if we're as big as a club as we make out to be then we must deliver more.

At 21/22, there's no longer any more time to be sat on the fence balancing the chances of him maybe turning into a decent player. Start delivering. Simple as. Especially in thus utter shower of shit league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

About time we produced some quality players who delivered. No, not everyone can turn put to be top players but if we're as big as a club as we make out to be then we must deliver more.

I'd say it's actually easier for a smaller club to produce players as they can get more exposure within the first team. Who have city, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton etc. Produced the last few years who are top quality?

33 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'd say it's actually easier for a smaller club to produce players as they can get more exposure within the first team. Who have city, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton etc. Produced the last few years who are top quality?

Not sure what your point is? you're highlighting the failing of other clubs in a defence of ours.

With the greatest respect, I couldn't give a monkey's toss who those teams have produced.

What matters is that we have a fantastic infrastructure, top quality facilities, one of the most respected academies in the country and yet the transition to the first team is appalling.

Nathan ake playing at Watford / Bournemouth on loan will probably skew the stat but if you just look at games for villa or Chelsea I'm pretty sure Jack has more prem appearances than the other 21 next gen final players combined 

theres definitely an issue, wouldn't agree that it's a villa issue alone though, it's everyone and you'd do well to convince me it's not money

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nathan ake playing at Watford / Bournemouth on loan will probably skew the stat but if you just look at games for villa or Chelsea I'm pretty sure Jack has more prem appearances than the other 21 next gen final players combined 

theres definitely an issue, wouldn't agree that it's a villa issue alone though, it's everyone and you'd do well to convince me it's not money

I think Ake is awesome, potential to be a real class player there, he's well on the way in my opinion

On 08/12/2016 at 13:42, bannedfromHandV said:

We are not in a "very poor" league.

In fact, I'd suggest that the Championship is stronger than many top level divisions across Europe.

Outside of Germany, Italy, Spain and France, there's probably not much that is clearly way above it in terms of quality. The top eredivisie sides are a cut above but not the whole league. Notice I did say "clearly", the championship itself is a mixed bag, the top and the bottom are streets apart but taken as a whol it's a very tough league. 46 games is stupid if you ask me! 

• Like 1

In terms of attendances isn't he championship 4th most watched league in Europe?

There are a lot of internationals in it now but having seen a fair bit of it now I would have to agree with WoodyTom....there is very little quality and generally the teams that do the basics well are at the top.

We've only started doing the basics from mid October.

On 12/8/2016 at 17:06, blandy said:

Brilliant observation. And on top of that, when a team has a "danger player"  for whom the opposition tends to make special plans it almost always means that other players are effectively given more freedom/less attention. Just by playing these types of players it can bring benefit to the team, even if they don't appear to do that much in a particular game.

Pete,You have a valid point....but in a world like ours full of measurement, it is difficult to quantify.

The problem with it though is that you could make a case for every player on that basis.....unless you can define "danger player" in that context.

A danger player to one fan is not a danger player to another unless he does something direct....like score, win a penalty or create an assist.

Edited by TRO

The top teams in Russia, Portugal, Turkey, Holland, Belgium, (Denmark), Greece, Ukraine... are usually a step or 5 above the top championship teams any given season.

As for the grey mass of teams making up the rest of the league, who knows?

There is certainly more money in the Championship than in any other second tier league (and most first divisions too.)

The thing that stands out for me watching the Championship is the general bad quality of basic technique and tactics compared to players in other countries. The tempo is a bit higher, but the simple mistakes are plentiful. 

From what I've seen (not much from either league to be honest) the Championship and zweite Bundesliga are about the same level, although very different kind of football. 

Edit: As for Grealish it is about time he finds a consistent level of performing now. I expect more from him.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Pete,You have a valid point....but in a world like ours full of measurement, it is difficult to quantify.

The problem with it though is that you could make a case for every player on that basis.....unless you can define "danger player" in that context.

A danger player to one fan is not a danger player to another unless he does something direct....like score, win a penalty or create an assist.

I'm not talking about players that fans think are "dangerous - if I was, I'd agree TRO, but what I said was those "the opposition tends to make special plans [for]". 

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I'm not talking about players that fans think are "dangerous - if I was, I'd agree TRO, but what I said was those "the opposition tends to make special plans [for]". 

Sorry Pete, misread your piece.

• Like 1

If there is one area of Jack's game that does my nut in, its his unwillingness to shoot. 

Hopefully today's goal gives him a bit more confidence in that regard. 

Â