The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Last season was always going to be tough on Jack. It turned out to be a nightmare injuries, changing allegiance and loss of form combined with the state the club was in all affected him. He needs to be 1st choice now and I hope it's for us. He's a Villan so you'd hope he wants to get us back up and he is still unproven and young so a year in the Championship wouldn't harm him. RDM needs to be string with Jack and the others he wants to keep. Give us the year them we'll sell if we haven't come back up. 

If he goes, he goes.

So far in his Villa career he has shown glimpses of natural ability but also a lack of professionalism and desire to compete.

If he chooses to go, I don't expect we'll see much of him in the future - I have a feeling he'll be a promising player that fails to live up to expectation. He'll be in the lower leagues by his mid-twenties, turning it on once every 6-8 matches. 

I'd like to see him knuckle down and learn his craft, show some respect for the club and fans and grab the team by the scruff of the neck and be the player to lead us back to the premier league.

He has all the physical attributes required but not the mentality. I fear he already believes he's made it and can't be bothered to try anymore.

• Like 2

You see with Grealish, he has always been head and shoulders above his age group, it has always come easy for him, he has got by on natural talent. Now that it isn't the case, now he has to show a bit of work if he is going to stand out, progress. Does he really want it? it is up to him whether he wants to sink or swim.

Nothing I have seen so far tells me Grealish has anything close to a backbone.

• Like 1

As a Villa fan I want him to stay, If i was his advisor and things at the Villa stay the same over the next 3-4 weeks then I would definitely look for a move. A football career is very short and If you have talent, and he has, then he needs to maximize his chances of making Premier league money.

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

As a Villa fan I want him to stay, If i was his advisor and things at the Villa stay the same over the next 3-4 weeks then I would definitely look for a move. A football career is very short and If you have talent, and he has, then he needs to maximize his chances of making Premier league money.

Don't you worry about that, his Dad will be telling him what to do already.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Don't you worry about that, his Dad will be telling him what to do already.

If he was my son he wouldn't be stopping at the villa, as things stand.

On 31/05/2016 at 16:42, tinker said:

A football career is very short and If you have talent, and he has, then he needs to maximize his chances of making Premier league money.

I don't disagree or have any problem with players being mercenary and making as much money as they can. They are professionals doing a job for money and like 95% of all workers want to earn as much as they can but the length of a footballers career is now a total irrelevance.  

In years gone bye they had to scrimp and take whatever they could and hopefully get a pub somewhere if they were lucky to see them through to retirement. Now however even a player in the second or third tier of English football will earn enough in just a few years to exceed what most people will dream of earning in a lifetime and of course in the will do this in the PL inside just 3 or 4 months in some cases. 

• Like 1

Selling him for £5m would be utterly ridiculous. We don't need the money, there's loads of room for him to develop. You'd hope we would have learnt our lesson after Albrighton, Cahill, Davis.... 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Although he has just had a nightmare season, I would not sell Grealish at this moment in time unless we received a silly offer. He is young, has made mistakes, he won't be the first or the last to do so. I hope that he learns from these mistakes and knuckles down and becomes the player we all hoped he would become. I always had it in my mind that he would have a tough second season, as that has often been the case with young players and I thought that we were wrong to expect Jack to carry the attacking threat for the team last season. He did not help himself with his antics during the summer, and I knew at the time when they were reported they would taint him in the eyes of the fans and press. That kind of behaviour gives you a reputation, and puts you firmly under the microscope which only added to the pressure on his young shoulders last season. Hopefully a quieter summer  for Jack with plenty of training can get him back on the straight and narrow.

I would rather give Jack another chance to come good, than cast him out on the cheap and let another team benefit from one of our promising young players again. If he has another terrible season then I would review the situation again next summer. For now though it is too soon to wash our hands of him. This summer I would be looking to clear out the more senior pros who let us down last year, and replace with better influences in the dressing room, which in turn will hopefully turn out to be better role models for the youngsters coming through into the first team.

• Like 1

I would love to keep Grealish here. His attitude needs to change though and he needs to put football first.

He could play a big role in getting us promoted if we manage to keep him, as he certainly has the talent. Di Matteo just needs to knock some sense into him.

If it comes to the worst and we end up selling him then we would be silly to take less than £10 million. He has the potential to be a quality player. Whether or not he will ever reach his full potential is pretty much down to him.

I don't think he has much in the way of bargaining power. He signed a contract when it looked like he was going to be a big deal, so he's probably on pretty big wages, but also has a pretty big minimum release fee clause. Unless we get an offer above that fee - my guess £15 million - then he's staying. No benefit to us him going now for £5 million when we can be fairly confident he'll be quite decent next season in the Championship, which will drive up his value past his minimum release fee I'm guessing. Spurs can come in then, and we may be back in the PL at that point. 

Â