The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

11 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He won't be here if the right offer comes in.

Under Lerner yes.

I just can't see how it's going to be a fire sale under Dr Tony. Yes it's inevitable we'll lose a couple like Ayew and Gana most likely and hopefully the wasters but we need to keep likes of Adama, Grealish and Amavi as players to build a new team around.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

in fairness work ethic and drive is a club thing. If your starting a new job and you have people similar to Gabby, Richards and Lescott slacking you are going to do the same thing to fit in. If we had serious club captain a Barry or a Petrov then I think Jack and others would cop on

That's absolute bollocks. Drive and professionalism comes from the individual. A captain can obviously give decent advice, but Grealish wanting to work hard and achieve things doesn't come down to whatever Lescott is doing for **** sake. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's absolute bollocks. Drive and professionalism comes from the individual. A captain can obviously give decent advice, but Grealish wanting to work hard and achieve things doesn't come down to whatever Lescott is doing for **** sake. 

Yes it really comes down to the individual.

If I was giving a talk to a young player like Grealish I'd use the Hendrie-Barry comparison.

Both came through here at around the same time and it's fair to say both liked a drink in the early days. I remember Barry got done for drink driving at 19 and he got the message. Lee Hendrie cheated death crashing his car on Aston Expressway....and didn't.

Not saying he didn't have good periods of form in the premier league.but at the age of 29 we were loaning Hendrie out to Stoke City and he never played another premier league game.

At 29 Barry was playing in 2010 world cup and 6 years on is still a week in week out prem starter and only one fit season off breaking the appearance record.

It's something for Jack to consider isn't it...short term success v longevity. Of course the Elephant in the room is the money he's already earnt means he's made for life unless he squanders it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree with this with the older guys, but Grealish was in a different situation, a young lad with potential, an lots to prove, I would have ignored whats going on, stop going out getting pissed with knobber mates. an crack on with my football, proving to the fans i'm something special. In this team of lazy asses. it was a huge chance to shine, an maybe get his Senior England call up.

Needs to grow up a bit, an understand what he is here for.

I think to a certain degree he has been given a rough ride by supporters for a lack of performance a season in which absolutely nothing went right for him. The going out an getting pissed with knobber mates was probably the least of his issues. He had injuries, 4 different managers and no consistent leadership at any level, which is vitally important for a 20 year old lad. He played for a club in Aston Villa that unraveled spectacularly, both on the pitch and behind the scenes. 

To suggest this was a "huge chance for him to shine" is utterly bizzare IMO. There was virtually zero opportunity there for him to shine, particularly as one who is a final piece of the jigsaw type of player, rather than a foundation upon which to build a team. 

I think he will mature as an individual both on and off the pitch under, we hope, strong leadership in the dressing room (which MUST be our priority) and I believe he will be our player of the season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Every individual is different. Not all people are either born 'winners', like Gareth Barry, and not all born 'losers' like Lee Hendrie. Though even he performed well under strong leadership. 

A good example of somebody in the middle might be Gabby. When the likes of Laursen, Mellberg, Petrov, Barry and Milner vacated that dressing room his form took a nose dive. He is not a strongly self motivated individual, but with the right foundations under him he was a solid performer for a very good Aston Villa side. 

I think it's too early to tell where Grealish falls mentally. He's still very young, he's had his '**** up' season so let's see how he reacts to that before we attempt to label him one thing or another. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I remember Barry got done for drink driving at 19 and he got the message.

Indeed. That's Gareth Barry, with his league titles and 53 England caps who we would all have back now at age 35. 

To write Grealish off at this stage based on his personality would be foolish. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Indeed. That's Gareth Barry, with his league titles and 53 England caps who we would all have back now at age 35. 

To write Grealish off at this stage based on his personality would be foolish. 

Good posts, Dave. Barry was 17 when he got done for DD, mind. He also had his falling out with John Gregory at one point when he was young. But players have to learn young. Once they get to about 21, 22 it's too late. Everyone should be allowed a few mistakes when they're young, and Grealish no different, but they must learn from them if they are to do as well as their potential allows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

'Drive and professionalism' very, very obviously comes both from the individual him/herself AND the culture in which they work. 

• Like 2

Totally agree @blandy, he can't afford another season like the last if he is to make it at this football club. 

Underneath it all I personally think he is a remarkably talented footballer. He glides across the pitch, he has exquisite close control and a keen eye. He needs a good coach, a good manager who has faith in him but not so much that he drowns in his own (necessary) ego, a strong leadership presence in the dressing room and the support of the fan base. With that we can begin to judge him on his ability alone. 

• Like 3

My main concern with Grealish is he's like the kid hanging around with the bad kids at school. He's good friends with Gabby and likely whoever Gabby also hangs out with at the club who are also likely words removed. I have a feeling he will go one of two ways when the likes of Gabby are given the boot, he will sulk like he did when Sherwood got the boot or he'll turn over a new leaf with less distractions on the training ground. His prior form though states he'll likely go off the rails even further when his friends are all kicked from the club. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Drive and professionalism' very, very obviously comes both from the individual him/herself AND the culture in which they work. 

Il give you an example.  The culture when I joined my job was and still is quite a lazy culture. 

I choose not to be like that and work my absolute bollocks off. That can be frustrating - many may say 'why should I'? But it's my choice. 

The culture at villa may be a reason. It's certainly no excuse.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Il give you an example.  The culture when I joined my job was and still is quite a lazy culture. 

I choose not to be like that and work my absolute bollocks off. That can be frustrating - many may say 'why should I'? But it's my choice.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh3hu0yGLD1qfvlmho1_500.gif

;)

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh3hu0yGLD1qfvlmho1_500.gif

;)

I wasn't saying it to receive credit (neither serious nor tongue in cheek).

Simply pointing out that the belief a culture of a team has to have an effect on an individual is imo, wrong.

• Like 1

I know - couldn't resist though (and it was most definitely tongue in cheek!)

It is difficult in certain work cultures to swim against the tide though (bit like school too - no one liked the swot!)

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes it really comes down to the individual.

If I was giving a talk to a young player like Grealish I'd use the Hendrie-Barry comparison.

Both came through here at around the same time and it's fair to say both liked a drink in the early days. I remember Barry got done for drink driving at 19 and he got the message. Lee Hendrie cheated death crashing his car on Aston Expressway....and didn't.

Not saying he didn't have good periods of form in the premier league.but at the age of 29 we were loaning Hendrie out to Stoke City and he never played another premier league game.

At 29 Barry was playing in 2010 world cup and 6 years on is still a week in week out prem starter and only one fit season off breaking the appearance record.

It's something for Jack to consider isn't it...short term success v longevity. Of course the Elephant in the room is the money he's already earnt means he's made for life unless he squanders it.

Agreed 100%.

This is why culture is really important. It's no surprise that Barry really improved when Hendrie was shipped out. Hendrie was a terrible influence on Barry, utterly corrosive.They used to routinely go to one of the golf club's (either Lickey Hills or Kings North - I forget which now) and getting absolutely smashed, in fact one time they crashed a **** golf cart driving it around pissed. 

Barry improved significantly once the toxic influence was removed and more dedicated professionals were signed. I believe Grealish could similarly benefit from having much better influences around him. Of course he needs to make better personal decision - have more low key holidays in pre-season, ditch his moronic set of mates etc but don't underestimate the effect of working with dedicated people who want to succeed.

• Like 3

Â