The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was only a circus due to his high profile nature. He signed a contract the year before with a release clause. A year later a club paid the release clause and he left. That's it.

Not just that. It was a circus because he was and is a dumbo that unfortunately finds ways of looking a clown. 

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Was he in reality as good as we portrayed him to be or was it simply a case of him looking better because of the dross he was surrounded with?

How average he looks when surrounded by great players says a lot.

Well you just have to look at our results with and without him from around 2018-2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

“There is more we could say but can’t about the move”

Like how Jack built a circus environment around that pre season after committing his future to us just after he wanted to move to Spurs two years before, and Man United the season before, and then finally the circus of the will he won’t he City move. 

That’s one of the reasons why we will be better off without him and his off the field antics in the long term 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

At this point I don't really give a shit about Grealish or his reasons for leaving, his family's intriguing(not) excuses for him leaving(because he was trying to get out previously). Or indeed how he gets on at Shitty. He's gone. My guess is that by the time his finished his medal collection and on the way down Villa will be in a different place and won't have need for a decaying ex player looking for paychecks and a pat on the back for f****** off in the first place. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Well you just have to look at our results with and without him from around 2018-2021.

Not saying he isn't a good player but you have to factor in the poor quality he was surrounded by.

Any good player would stand out.

Good player but never the world class sensation we made him out to be.

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not saying he isn't a good player but you have to factor in the poor quality he was surrounded by.

Any good player would stand out.

Good player but never the world class sensation we made him out to be.

I think it’s sad that sections of our fan base relegate the contributions of players like Trez that kept us in the league. Yes, we were too reliant on Jack for too long, but also we were a team. There’s been a lot of revisionism until Deano got the best out of him. It took many years to see the best of Jack. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was only a circus due to his high profile nature. He signed a contract the year before with a release clause. A year later a club paid the release clause and he left. That's it.

For a man who loved the club he flirted regularly behind the scenes and fed stories to the press (NOT directly).

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Was he in reality as good as we portrayed him to be or was it simply a case of him looking better because of the dross he was surrounded with?

How average he looks when surrounded by great players says a lot.

Jack was the best player I have ever seen play for us but for some reason City signed him and he can't use any of his attributes that made him worth 100m to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Jack was the best player I have ever seen play for us but for some reason City signed him and he can't use any of his attributes that made him worth 100m to us. 

Again, the clause was that high because we didn’t think anyone would actually pay it. It was to protect the club and ensuring he signed a new deal. He would have easily gone to United the year before for £60m or so. 

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Not for me.

Ashley Young at the peak of his powers comfortably better than Grealish imo.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Yep easily the best player I’ve ever seen for Villa… but TBH that’s not hard to be as I can’t even remember another amazing Villa player I’ve actually seen play!

13 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

At this point I don't really give a shit about Grealish or his reasons for leaving, his family's intriguing(not) excuses for him leaving(because he was trying to get out previously). Or indeed how he gets on at Shitty. He's gone. My guess is that by the time his finished his medal collection and on the way down Villa will be in a different place and won't have need for a decaying ex player looking for paychecks and a pat on the back for f****** off in the first place. 

Yep.

I'll always love the player, but he can do one thinking he'll be welcomed back because he's a villa lad.

Did great things for the club, but he means as much for us now as Julian Joachim or Didier Agathe.

**** you and your mom and your sister and your job
And your broke-ass car and that shit you call art
**** you and your friends that I'll never see again
Everybody but your dog, you can all **** off
I swear I meant to mean the best when it ended
Even tried to bite my tongue when you start shit
Now you're textin' all my friends asking questions
They never even liked you in the first place
Dated a girl that I hate for the attention
She only made it two days, what a connection
It's like you'd do anything for my affection
You're goin' all about it in the worst ways
I was into you, but I'm over it now
And I was tryin' to be nice
But nothing's getting through, so let me spell it out
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
And your mom and your sister and your job
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
You said you just needed space and so I gave it
When I had nothin' to say you couldn't take it
Told everyone I'm a bitch, so I became it
Always had to put yourself above me
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
And your craigslist couch and the way your voice sounds
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
A-B-C-D-E, F-U

43 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:
**** you and your mom and your sister and your job
I swear I meant to mean the best when it ended
Even tried to bite my tongue when you start shit
Now you're textin' all my friends asking questions
They never even liked you in the first place
Dated a girl that I hate for the attention
She only made it two days, what a connection
It's like you'd do anything for my affection
You're goin' all about it in the worst ways
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
You said you just needed space and so I gave it
When I had nothin' to say you couldn't take it
Told everyone I'm a bitch, so I became it
Always had to put yourself above me
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
And your craigslist couch and the way your voice sounds
A-B-C-D-E, F-U
A-B-C-D-E, F-U

Beatles? 

spacer.png

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Jack was class and gave us some great memories but you must have seen Benteke look a world beater for us in a far worse team and give us as many great memories?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/12/01/jack-grealish-miguel-almiron-fantasy-football-why-assists-overrated/

Jack Grealish is often told what he should and should not speak about, but, fortunately, he rarely listens and the England footballer gave one of his most remarkably open interviews yet in the middle of his first-ever World Cup campaign.

Over the course of 30 illuminating minutes at England’s Al Wakrah base, Grealish barely left any subject uncovered, even getting to his feet in his Gucci sliders and white socks to impersonate Bernardo Silva.

Flanked by “my fellow Brummie” from the Football Association communications team, Grealish was given free rein to captivate and entertain his crowd of print journalists.

Grealish, for the first time, spoke of his regret at mocking Newcastle United forward Miguel Almiron after saying Riyad Mahrez should have been substituted in Manchester City’s final game of last season for “playing like Almiron.”

He also revealed that his sister Hollie, who has cerebral palsy, is unable to see him play at the World Cup, despite being in the stands with his family in Qatar.

There were lighter moments too, as Grealish ripped into his dad Kevin’s World Cup waistcoat and bow tie, and said that he “can’t be arsed” playing Fantasy Football but receives “100 messages every week saying ‘is Haaland starting?’”

Here is Grealish in his own words.

Grealish on Almiron

“Do you know what, I haven’t actually been asked about that and let me just address it. Obviously, I’d had a few drinks. We were out celebrating and I wasn’t on my phone on social media. And then I remember I was in Ibiza and it had come out. That was one thing I regret. When I said earlier that sometimes I do stupid stuff, that was one. 

"I regret that. I swear, I’m actually buzzing the way he’s reacted. He said something about me in an interview the other day, he wished me the best. I thought ‘what a guy, man’ because if that was me and somebody had said that about me, I’d have probably been the other way and been like ‘f--- it’.

“I messaged Matt Targett because I’m close with him from Villa and I said to him ‘can you message him for me and say to him that I apologise, I obviously didn’t mean it’. When I look back on that, that was just one thing that was stupid of me to say. I shouldn’t have said it. 

Miguel Almiron and Jack Grealish sign - Jack Grealish on Miguel Almiron, Fantasy Football... and why assists are overrated
Newcastle fans have delighted in mocking Grealish for his comments about Miguel Almiron - the Newcastle forward has scored eight goals in 15 league appearances this season Credit: Robbie Jay Barrat/Getty Images

"I didn’t realise it was a video to go out, I thought it was just private. But even in private I shouldn’t have said it because he’s a fellow professional. I’m actually buzzing for him, I’ve had a lot of stick off the Newcastle fans and rightly so. At the end of the day, they are backing their player which I fully understand. He seems like the most harmless, nice guy, so fair play.

“When I play against him, I’ll show him the most respect because that’s what he’s done in a situation where he probably didn’t have to. Fair play to him and I genuinely hope he does keep scoring, as long as those Newcastle fans stop messaging me.”

Grealish on registering one Premier League assist this year

“It’s mad innit really? I dunno, man. It is crazy when you say that because when you look back to when I was at Villa a couple of years ago – I got three in a game versus Liverpool. When I went to (Manchester) City, I remember thinking I would get so many goals and assists because I didn’t think about the other side of it and when you do get there, it is so much more difficult.

“I do think nowadays – goals and assists – it’s all that people go on about. Look, I want to get goals and assists. I was winding Bernardo [Silva] up not too long ago because he got two assists in a row by passing the ball to Joao Cancelo on the edge of the box, Joao cut in and put it top bin. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be an assist, it should be an assist but people just go on so much.

“One of the best players I’ve played with – and he’s changed the way I see football – is Bernardo. Out of everyone I’ve played with he is probably the best. He doesn’t get a proper lot of goals and assists – he has got a few this season from passing it to someone and he is putting it in the top bin. The way his brain works is crazy, he will go and get the ball off the keeper and dribble with it from the six-yard box.

Bernardo Silva - Jack Grealish on Miguel Almiron, Fantasy Football... and why assists are overrated
Grealish on Manchester City team-mate Bernardo Silva: "One of the best players I’ve played with – and he’s changed the way I see football" Credit: Adrian Dennis/Getty Images

“I remember one game last season, the manager told Bernardo to come get the ball off Ederson (Grealish gets up to demonstrate). So Ederson puts the ball down and gives it to Bernardo, who goes off on his little dribble around. I was like ‘what does this guy think he is doing, he thinks it’s school football'. It was unbelievable. 

"But he is unbelievable – he doesn’t get loads of goals and assists. But the way he takes the ball under pressure…Pep says he wants us to show balls, wanting the ball under pressure when the opposition crowd are against you at Anfield, when everyone is whistling and you’re saying ‘give me the ball’. That is Bernardo in a nutshell. That’s what I think I do a little bit. Talking of assists, actually, I think I’ve got quite a few now for England – so put that in your article. I think I’ve got about six or seven [Grealish has six].”

Grealish on seeing his sister Hollie, who has cerebral palsy, after England games in Qatar

“With my little sister, she’s been to the games, but she can only see from here to the sofas over there (about 50 yards). She’d never be able to see me (on the pitch) or anything, because she’s visually impaired. But, obviously, it’s just nice to go and spend time with her after because she gets it. But she can’t watch the game, so she sits on her iPad. She’s addicted to Coronation Street, so she watches Coronation Street from about 1998. Kirk is about 10 years old in it, he’s about 40 now, isn’t he?”

Grealish on his dad’s ‘lucky’ Union Flag World Cup waistcoat

“What’s he doing with that? I said ‘what are you wearing there?’ He had a little bow tie as well, but my mum told him to take it off. I don’t know where he got it from, it looks like something from the market, doesn’t it? I don’t know where he’s got it from and he keeps wearing it as well. What’s he doing wearing that, man? I think he thinks it’s his lucky charm.”

Jack Grealish's dad wearing his 'lucky' Union Flag World Cup waistcoat
Grealish's dad wearing his 'lucky' Union Flag World Cup waistcoat

Grealish on being a super sub for England

“I’d love to start games. I’m not sitting here saying I don’t want to start. I’d love to come on as a sub and I’d love to play. I do appreciate the other talents that we have in the squad and, obviously, I’ve had to get my head around it. I’ve done that at the Euros a fair bit and I’ve done it here, but whenever I’m called upon by the manager, whether that be starting or on the bench, I’m ready to come on and try and change a game.

Jack Grealish goal - Jack Grealish on Miguel Almiron, Fantasy Football... and why assists are overrated
Grealish scored England's final goal in their 6-2 drubbing of Iran on the second day of the World Cup in Qatar Credit: Nick Potts/PA

“I think sometimes the subs have as much of a part to play as the starters, you know, because they can come on and change games. I’ve done it in the Euros in that game against Germany and come on and got an assist. I’ve played in all three games so far…if we’re drawing at half-time, the lads say to me ‘make sure you’re ready’ and it makes you feel like that they want you, it makes me feel good.”

i really hate not being able to hate him 😢

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/01/jack-grealish-what-a-guy-i-will-show-almiron-the-most-respect-next-time

Feel like there's an unnecessary dig at his villa teammates at the end of this article. 

“Luke Shaw said to me: ‘When I come away with England, you can tell who the City lads are,’” Grealish says. “He said: ‘You always have a ball, you always want a ball.’ We get that from being at City. At Villa, you’d be sitting there, [players] on their phones … then at City, you’re sitting there and balls are flying across the changing room, people playing two-touch.”

Â