The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Southgate has him as plan B

Won't start and will struggle to get on the pitch if we're winning

Played some decent stuff tonight, some good link up play and looked to attack, the clamour has died down compared to the euros but I still think a good attack minded manager has him starting

That said out of all the attacking options England have grealish is still the worst one if Harry Kane insists on playing DMC and Southgate wants us to play how he does, rashford second goal with the ball over the top or even his missed chance 1st half where he ran past kane when he went deep, even the foden goal, grealish doesn't play like that

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Southgate has him as plan B

Won't start and will struggle to get on the pitch if we're winning

Played some decent stuff tonight, some good link up play and looked to attack, the clamour has died down compared to the euros but I still think a good attack minded manager has him starting

That said out of all the attacking options England have grealish is still the worst one if Harry Kane insists on playing DMC and Southgate wants us to play how he does, rashford second goal with the ball over the top or even his missed chance 1st half where he ran past kane when he went deep, even the foden goal, grealish doesn't play like that

Agree with your last point. You need a balance in the front 3 of players who want to come towards the ball and players who want to run in behind. Too many of the former and it’s all intricacy but no penetration; too many of the latter and there’s no creativity or poise. Kane is the former alongside grealish, Maddison and foden while rashford, and Sterling are the latter (I think Saka and mount are a bit of a fusion). When Kane is playing you basically have to play at least one of either rashford, Saka or Sterling leaving only one slot at most for a foden or a grealish.

The alternative is to drop kane for Wilson who likes to run in behind and stretch the play leaving space for both foden and grealish to support creatively (like they do for City with Haaland playing) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Disagree.

Yeah me too I think

He's a better player than rashford or sterling but as I said and then @jpjcb said there's tactical and other personnel reasons as to why he doesn't suit Southgate's team

For the same reason I actually don't like sterling playing for England, he plays too deep imo and wants too much of the ball, for as poor as he was in the first half yesterday and his general passing Rashford probably is the best option we have for the left

Blame Southgate and Kane

Maybe he really likes sliced vegatables, so when he says something is the best thing since sliced vegatables he means it as a huge compliment, playfully improvising on the famouns best thing since sliced bread saying, he's being creative with his words, sounds like the kind of thing I would do.

The more I watch Grealiish these days the more I see the Jack Grelaish of about 6 or 7 years ago.  We'd just got relegated, he'd just established himself in the team, and he was already regarded as our star player.  But I was among quite a few who put him in the "plenty of fart, not much shit" category.  He'd do something flash, maybe beat one man, but then lay it off sideways or backwards, or draw a fouls, but almost always the safe option.  It was as if he didn't have the confidence to take on the further dribble, or the shot or the cross. He seems to have reverted to playing like that now, well within himself,  for both City and England.  Possibly under instruction. Frustrating to see him get in positions where he might try to curl one in from 20 yards or take his man on in the box and just lay it off instead.  

For us, gradually, eventually, he overcame that and became the virtuoso we now remember, making loads of chances and scaring defenders to death. If he can rediscover that he'll be well worth £100m.     

On 29/11/2022 at 09:42, Pinebro said:

He actually is saying sliced veg 😂

It's very funny, but it's obviously "sliced bread"

The g sound comes from it rolling into "you know"

Sliced breadyouknow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's very funny, but it's obviously "sliced bread"

The g sound comes from it rolling into "you know"

Sliced breadyouknow

Strangely enough I think the "youknow" is what makes it sound more like the end of "bread" - "...egyouknow" = "...eadyouknow". It defintely sounds like it starts with a "v" to me.

Either way, it's funny because it being Jack means there is even this discussion that he might well have said "veg".

Â