The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

For sure, but do you not see why that would piss some people off?

Not really, that's what modern football is, it's shite and my enjoyment of it has eroded to an extent where not only does it not bother me but im starting to wonder why others are still so heavily invested

Players coming and going, Man City, the obscene money and wages, the world cup being in Qatar, being a CL sub being better than a star player at a mid table team all that stuff... I don't single out grealish or chuk, I won't single out Emi or Ramsey or any of the others that if they stick their head above the mid table parapet will be bought by one of sky's favourites 

My emotional attachment to football has largely gone... Gerrard still managed to make me angry though so it's obviously not completely gone yet 😜

I love villa, I hate football

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We could have said no. He could have said no. He said he was here to stay. He'd just signed a 5 year contract. 

Purslow made his announcement on August 5th, leaving us 18 working days to replace out top player, who we'd built a team around. The window had been open from June 9th. 

How could we say no if City have activated his release clause? 

Your second point, I'm not sure what relevance that has. City decided to bid when they did, we couldn't refuse it as it activated a release clause and it's what Jack wanted so he went. Again, he didn't decide when City bid for him. I understand being pissed off at the situation, but aiming it at Jack when it was out of his control, seems counter-productive.

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

How could we say no if City have activated his release clause? 

Your second point, I'm not sure what relevance that has. City decided to bid when they did, we couldn't refuse it as it activated a release clause and it's what Jack wanted so he went. Again, he didn't decide when City bid for him. I understand being pissed off at the situation, but aiming it at Jack when it was out of his control, seems counter-productive.

It's never out of a player's control. They can always say no. Or at least not pretend to do all the badge kissing, Villa til I die stuff. 

Yes I appreciate it's their career, yes it's just a job for them, but if it's me, If and when I have left jobs in the past, I make sure I don't leave my company in the shit when I do. 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

It's never out of a player's control. They can always say no. Or at least not pretend to do all the badge kissing, Villa til I die stuff. 

Yes I appreciate it's their career, yes it's just a job for them, but if it's me, If and when I have left jobs in the past, I make sure I don't leave my company in the shit when I do. 

The timing of City's bid was entirely out of Jack's control. 

His desire to go there is obvious, correct and makes complete sense from a career perspective. 

I think we're going round in circles here. My only point was despising Jack, being pissed off at Jack, to me seems unhealthy and emotions directed to the wrong place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

His desire to go there is obvious, correct and makes complete sense from a career perspective. 

I think we're going round in circles here. My only point was despising Jack, being pissed off at Jack, to me seems unhealthy and emotions directed to the wrong place. 

I don't despise anyone in this world (maybe Trump and Putin), but I don't really wan't Jack back, and I don't feel particularly enamoured of how he handled his departure. If he was in a Villa shirt would I cheer for him? Sure, it's Villa. I would support anyone who plays for us, barring if they did or said anything horrific. Right now, though, I don't want him back. I would know that every time he did the whole 'I'm Villa through and through' thing that he's lying through his teeth. Which they all do I guess, but with him I'd know it. 

Ach, this discussion seems to have run it's course. Take it easy.  

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don't despise anyone in this world (maybe Trump and Putin), but I don't really wan't Jack back, and I don't feel particularly enamoured of how he handled his departure. If he was in a Villa shirt would I cheer for him? Sure, it's Villa. I would support anyone who plays for us, barring if they did or said anything horrific. Right now, though, I don't want him back. I would know that every time he did the whole 'I'm Villa through and through' thing that he's lying through his teeth. Which they all do I guess, but with him I'd know it. 

Ach, this discussion seems to have run it's course. Take it easy.  

"Despise" was a previous poster, the one that started all of this!

UTV

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We could have said no. He could have said no. He said he was here to stay. He'd just signed a 5 year contract. 

Purslow made his announcement on August 5th, leaving us 18 working days to replace out top player, who we'd built a team around. The window had been open from June 9th. 

Ah I thought it was sooner as he played for Man. City in the community shield for his debut and that's always start of August nowadays.

I think everyone knew from the minute he was pottering around that health resort in London and doing light training away from the main group he was leaving.

We also signed Buendia in mid June that summer and think Bailey and Ings came while Grealish was still at the club so we did sign decent attackers but ultimately it was always going to be a huge gap in the final third so don't think a few more months notice would've helped.

29 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

He could have if he really wanted them to bid earlier and give a deadline. He didnt have to but if he really had Villa best interests he could have

As for them delaying it to damage us I doubt they care about us

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ah I thought it was sooner as he played for Man. City in the community shield for his debut and that's always start of August nowadays.

I think everyone knew from the minute he was pottering around that health resort in London and doing light training away from the main group he was leaving.

We also signed Buendia in mid June that summer and think Bailey and Ings came while Grealish was still at the club so we did sign decent attackers but ultimately it was always going to be a huge gap in the final third so don't think a few more months notice would've helped.

Can't remember when Bailey arrived but Ings was famously announced on more or less the same day (I think it was actually the same day?) that Jack left. 

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

For me it was the timing. His leaving a week before the window ended completely ruined our entire season. A season in which we were looking to kick on. That season could have ended disastrously for us, and that was 100% on Jack. Had he left earlier in the window, we could have adjusted, and not just panic bought Ings. He left us horribly prepared for the rest of the season, a week after doing all the badge kissing shit. That's why I'm pissed at Jack, not because he left. 

It was a week before the window ended that it was announced. There were rumours all over the closed season he was going . I am sure Villa knew well before it was announced maybe they spent some time trying to persuade him to stay. Certainly they would have known far more and earlier than we the fans did.

I am not sure  that Ings was a panic buy either I am sure I can remember him saying he had known for a long time and had to keep secret. Maybe all the rumours about us buying J Ward-Prowse was a cover or possibly people knowing some dealings were going on between Villa and Southampton and getting it wrong.

Probably Buendia was the direct replacement for Grealish and he was brought much earlier.

If you have purchased a house (which for most of us cost a lot less) you will understand how long it takes for parties to get together to arrange an exchange date.

The busiest date of the transfer window is the last date and the busiest week is the week before. The deals are surely sorted out well in advance its sorting out the details that takes the time.

9 minutes ago, captain said:

It was a week before the window ended that it was announced. There were rumours all over the closed season he was going . I am sure Villa knew well before it was announced maybe they spent some time trying to persuade him to stay. Certainly they would have known far more and earlier than we the fans did.

I am not sure  that Ings was a panic buy either I am sure I can remember him saying he had known for a long time and had to keep secret. Maybe all the rumours about us buying J Ward-Prowse was a cover or possibly people knowing some dealings were going on between Villa and Southampton and getting it wrong.

Probably Buendia was the direct replacement for Grealish and he was brought much earlier.

If you have purchased a house (which for most of us cost a lot less) you will understand how long it takes for parties to get together to arrange an exchange date.

The busiest date of the transfer window is the last date and the busiest week is the week before. The deals are surely sorted out well in advance its sorting out the details that takes the time.

All well and good but he is still a rat 

Jack was 48 hours from joining United the previous year, insisted that a clause be inserted to sign a new deal, and the pre-season nonsense was a total farce that should have never happened. For obvious PR reasons he was never going to hand a transfer request in and City waited for as long as they could before triggering the clause - which we didn’t know existed until it was leaked to the media (probably Jack’s camp) to speed up the process. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

We've got many players like Jack Grealish in the academy. We don't need him to come back 

Have we? I’ve been watching Villa for over 50 years and he's in the same category as God and Sid for me in terms of ability. I hope we have another Jack on the conveyor belt but I very much doubt we have unfortunately.

• Like 2

Yikes, I didn’t expect to start all of this.

I should probably clear it up. I don’t despise Jack as a person, nor as a footballer. It was the wrong word. I wish him no ill will.

I do despise the decision he made, stringing the fanbase along. But as others have pointed out, it’s probably more the fault of modern football than Jack himself.

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I've signed a new deal! My club, my city!

You have put the release clause in though yeah?

That's surely why people are pissed off?

I think a player can still love a club while still having ambitions to play at a higher level.  I assume a majority of players love the team they come through the youth ranks but depending on the size of that club, either outgrow them or get disposed of at an early stage of their career.  Jack was in that goldilocks place where he was a great talent at a big but underachieving club and his progress as a player coincided with our fortune turning around, playing a massive part in it himself.  The release clause was right at the top of his value and could only be activated by a team in the CL, assuming we weren't in the CL ourselves (unlikely I know).  I think he just put his ambition as a footballer first and is understandable but I know I'm not as diehard a fan as lots who have season tickets etc and invest a lot in the club and the players, so can understand some ill-feeling.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think a player can still love a club while still having ambitions to play at a higher level.  I assume a majority of players love the team they come through the youth ranks but depending on the size of that club, either outgrow them or get disposed of at an early stage of their career.  Jack was in that goldilocks place where he was a great talent at a big but underachieving club and his progress as a player coincided with our fortune turning around, playing a massive part in it himself.  The release clause was right at the top of his value and could only be activated by a team in the CL, assuming we weren't in the CL ourselves (unlikely I know).  I think he just put his ambition as a footballer first and is understandable but I know I'm not as diehard a fan as lots who have season tickets etc and invest a lot in the club and the players, so can understand some ill-feeling.

How is an underachieving club supposed to become an achieving club if Jack, as it's best player, leaves. As I said we were looking to kick on that year, we had spent, we have ambitious owners who were obviously going to spend even more, there was talk of European places. But no, he couldn't wait, and he set us back by how many years by leaving? No quality player is going to come to a selling club, and it's taken us until now to reestablish the credibility of our ambitions.

Nah, f**k him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

My only regret of his time here is that Smith didn’t strip him of being captain for his driving offences. He didn’t deserve it after that. 

As much as I love Deano, I do get the vibe he'd let players get away with murder.

• Like 1

Â