The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, deck said:

Some would've been saying "just one more season" to him over and over until he'd aged himself out of likely getting a chance to play in the Champions or Europa Leagues.  Footballers have to secure their reputations while they're still working, because unlike visual artists (whose work always exists in the present), once they've retired, the chance the chance of them getting upgraded to 'historically significant player' on the back of people poring over old footage is pretty slim.  (Playing for a narrowly defeated team in a Champions League final or a World Cup or Euros final/semi-final trumps, profile-wise, playing for the winning team in a Championship play-off final - the 'Gazza's tears' WC semi-final effectively shows this.)

What's your point?

6 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

What?

Giving Jack the run of the place, the captains armband, Carte Blanche to do what he wants, forgiving him constantly for acting up in public…

Jack owes Smith a fucktonne… I’d argue he owed him at least one more season but he just couldn’t do that being the nations darling could he - he needed to go right now, this season post-haste at the last minute regardless of how much it blew all of Smiths plans and work to smithereens…

'so you were going to go to Tottenham, you have to work your numbers' someone said to a rough diamond that he was about to polish. He owes Smith more that his self cantered little mind could ever contemplate

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

What's your point?

That it was understandable and not unreasonable for him to leave when he did, and that those who will never have the sheer talent that causes them to have to make difficult choices like that (which would be most of us) shouldn't judge him too harshly.

Just now, deck said:

That it was understandable and not unreasonable for him to leave when he did, and that those who will never have the sheer talent that causes them to have to make difficult choices like that (which would be most of us) shouldn't judge him too harshly.

I disagree...
I think it was highly unreasonable, not at all understandable and he should be judged until the end of time...

Oh... and I am fantastic, so therefore I am allowed to judge him as harshly as I wish :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Smith doesn't identify or target the signings. It isn't 2003. You don't entrust your coach to spend £100m of your money.

On the Grealish thing. Smith made his name and career off Jack. Jack owes him nothing . He's given Smith everything with his talent. He has actually elevated his career and Smith without a world class player doesn't seem all that useful.

I like how Smith doesn't get any credit for getting that world class form out of him in the first place. Something nobody before or after him, nor the England manager has been able to replicate.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I like how Smith doesn't get any credit for getting that world class form out of him in the first place. Something nobody before or after him, nor the England manager has been able to replicate.

He deserves a lot of credit. He got Grealish to be a lot more effective in the attacking third and his numbers went up. Pep seems to have regressed him.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He just didn’t need to go. 

Yep. He could have stayed with his family club, stayed the main man, free to be the artist while pushing Villa up the table, attracting other big players, all while playing for England and making a fortune and becoming an all time folk hero. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yep. He could have stayed with his family club, stayed the main man, free to be the artist while pushing Villa up the table, attracting other big players, all while playing for England and making a fortune and becoming an all time folk hero. 

Which, as alien as it is to us fans, doesn't really mean much to professionals if they aren't winning anything.

With my Villa hat on though, thinking about it, he would have been spoken of in reverence 100 years from now if he played out his career here. That type of legendary status lives on even after the trophies.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

Pep dropped a hint about the reason he didn't pick him today in the way he wanted his team to play today against a team that have had some results against them lately. 

And an admission that his side is unbalanced. Must wound his ego not to play against United. 

16 hours ago, PaulC said:

Pep dropped a hint about the reason he didn't pick him today in the way he wanted his team to play today against a team that have had some results against them lately. 

Yeh the fact that Phil Foden was superb in that LFW position last season and it was really his break through season there. And then they go and spunk 100 Mill on our Jack to play there instead and it doesn't work out.

Super guru Pep 200 iq play. 

Some fair critiques here:

"the sense has been of Grealish slowing attacks, of his determination to cast off his previous individuality and submit to the system leading him to take the safer option; balancing the individual and the system is never straightforward.

Grealish’s pass accuracy notably is up on last season, but key passes, shots and dribbles are all down. Which may, ultimately, all be to the good; it’s just that at this stage it feels as though what made Grealish special, his impishness, his capacity for the brilliant or unexpected, has rather been lost. And he doesn’t have the directness of Sané, the player he in effect replaced in the squad.

Remarkably, Cancelo (who has admittedly played 149 more minutes) has had more touches in the final third than Grealish this season. If Grealish seems less involved creatively than he might be, it may be for the very good reason that he is holding his position, offering a defence against the counter, to allow the attack to develop from different angles."

Yeah nothing wrong with that.

Although (putting on my old man cap) while the sentiment is nice, I wish people would take the trouble to type out “No one” rather than “No1” or saying he’s the greatest rather than calling him the “real goat”. 

You have a few characters spare Jack, don’t be afraid to use them.

• Like 1

Â