The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

36 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

In all fairness he is right. It is too early to say whether Jack stays or goes, because as it stands he hasn’t signed a new contract nor have City submitted a bid. But they’ve made it clear they will submit a formal bid after the Euros. 

I get it that Gregg Evans isn’t popular on here because he doesn’t say everything is sunshine and rainbows but he is literally doing his job, the idea that he’s hoping for players to leave is utter BS. He’s not a Villa fan as far as I’m aware so he probably just sees things from a more neutral perspective. 

He doesn't need to sign a new contract as he has still 4 years to run on the current one. We may have offered him another contract or not but him not accepting should have no bearing on him staying if the club do not want to sell. 

Greg Evan's is a bellend, he's a baggies fan and shit at his job. He always has been and the idea he is neutral is laughable to say the least. 

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

He doesn't need to sign a new contract as he has still 4 years to run on the current one. We may have offered him another contract or not but him not accepting should have no bearing on him staying if the club do not want to sell. 

Greg Evan's is a bellend, he's a baggies fan and shit at his job. He always has been and the idea he is neutral is laughable to say the least. 

I think the contract signing is more a statement!

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this is incorrect. if he were still at the brum mail, he'd be doing his job, regurgitating tittle tattle for clicks. but he's at a subscription based company now, that prides itself on reporting facts, not speculation/rumours. this is what people have an issue with. every other journo at the athletic sticks to facts, except him.

I hardly think he's reporting clickbait by saying City are interested and are weighing up a bid. That's the worst kept secret in football this summer.

The real problem is the likes of Jim White who claimed a deal was done last week when the clubs hadn't even spoken to one another. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The whole reason Villa will offer a new deal is to ward off interest from other clubs and make sure he can't double his money somewhere else and turn his head. So I think it's a bit simplistic to say the contract doesn't matter, though I do agree that the contract is irrelevant if there isn't a possibility of him leaving.

You're entitled to your opinion on Gregg Evans and I'm not here to defend him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What did he say? No, let me guess: 

"Who is this John Grealish chap? A soccer player, you say? How perfectly ghastly. A beastly lower class pleb, I expect. Not the sort of role model one wants for one's children. What's wrong with the Duke of Marlborough or Sir Edward Elgar, I say?" 

No it was just the usual football-related analogies at MP questions as is the norm anytime England win a game at a tournament to try and relate to the general public. The attempt to do so using football usually results in them just strengthening the point of view that they are further removed from Joe Bloggs than Joe thought in the first place.

I think this time it was a reference to Savid Javid being the super-sub for Matt Hancock akin to Grealish versus Germany. Grealish replaced Saka though and I don't remember Saka being taken off for boning one of his aides so I falied to understand the reference.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Sorry, but Romano doesn't know any more than the rest of us.  I honestly believe he has some sources at a few top clubs, but when it comes to most clubs, like Villa, he has no clue.  Most of what he does is regurgitate the more realistic transfer rumors while keeping it open ended and then tries to beat others to announcing done deals, right before someone else breaks the story.

Examples that come to mind: 

• Rashica - He said it was practically a done deal last summer, which is why the story wouldn't die.
  • Everton & Spuds manager search - Go back and read his coverage of the managerial interviews of these clubs.  It's laughable.

Sometimes things don't go as expected, journalists may be reporting on genuine stories with good sources that for whatever reason doesn't happen. The Rashica story, as hilarious as it was, did represent genuine interest from Villa and while he jumped the gun and said it was going to happen it would be harsh to say he was totally wrong with the benefit of retrospect - it may have been closer than we know.

When Dan James nearly joined Leeds a couple of years ago were those journalists wrong to report he was on his way, given that he was at Elland Road holding the shirt? 

That's quite an exaggerated example but you get the idea

38 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I do like MOMS, it’s my second favourite behind our very own @omariqy’s Villa Talks pod. That is by far the best Villa podcast out there in my opinion. 

I'll give it a listen!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadridVilla said:

Sometimes things don't go as expected, journalists may be reporting on genuine stories with good sources that for whatever reason doesn't happen. The Rashica story, as hilarious as it was, did represent genuine interest from Villa and while he jumped the gun and said it was going to happen it would be harsh to say he was totally wrong with the benefit of retrospect - it may have been closer than we know.

When Dan James nearly joined Leeds a couple of years ago were those journalists wrong to report he was on his way, given that he was at Elland Road holding the shirt? 

That's quite an exaggerated example but you get the idea

I understand that we'll never get the full story, but some people hold Romano in the same regard as Percy, and maybe he is a tier 1 source for some clubs, but his track record when it comes to Villa is very poor.  

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I understand that we'll never get the full story, but some people hold Romano in the same regard as Percy, and maybe he is a tier 1 source for some clubs, but his track record when it comes to Villa is very poor.  

That's a fair point.

Like a lot I will only trust Percy's word as gospel when it comes to Villa. While he's not often the first to a story you know that it's likely to happen once he reports on it. So far nothing on Grealish which makes it clear a deal isn't close either way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

That's a fair point.

Like a lot I will only trust Percy's word as gospel when it comes to Villa. While he's not often the first to a story you know that it's likely to happen once he reports on it. So far nothing on Grealish which makes it clear a deal isn't close either way.

Percy has said basically the same as Romano 

Both are tier 1 imo

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Ramano has never really spoken about Villa from what I've seen, other than saying we were in talks with Bremen over Rashica, was not like he said the deal was done. 

thumbnail_Screenshot_20201005_110836_com

He did send this on deadline day. Funnily the only one he got wrong was Rashica to Villa 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

thumbnail_Screenshot_20201005_110836_com

He did send this on deadline day. Funnily the only one he got wrong was Rashica to Villa 🤣

To be fair I genuinely think it was close. @AvfcRigo82was consistent with his info all summer. 

Romano is absolutely to be trusted. His hit rate is much better than most. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

To be fair I genuinely think it was close. @AvfcRigo82was consistent with his info all summer. 

Romano is absolutely to be trusted. His hit rate is much better than most. 

It was definitely close. They messed us about at the last second.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I know that Dan Bardell is trying to forge a career in sports journalism and media, so this would never happen. However, wouldn’t it be amazing if he tore Gregg apart on the next 1874 podcast for being an absolute fraud of a Villa reporter. 

He won’t, he’s too far up his ass.

Gregg is a Bagges fan anyway, no love for the Villa.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He won’t, he’s too far up his ass.

Gregg is a Bagges fan anyway, no love for the Villa.

Bang on. Gregg Evans had posters of Lee Hughes and Gary Megson on his bedroom wall. He has suffered enough. 🤣

My biggest gripe with Evans is he never chooses the  potential narratives of supporting the club. He always echos the national/international media sentiments. For example: "Grealish will/should  leave for a bigger club" - I get the impression he is a follower, probably afraid of going against the grain of common opinion. Fair enough. But if I am joining a subscription based product dedicated to my team,  I want more from the local based reporter. Gregg needs to remember he is representing Aston Villa at The Athletic, he needs to be more supportive and protective of the club IMO.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

Â