The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

I don't think Grealish should be playing for Gareth Southgate's England. Southgate has one way of playing, pass the ball needlessly around the back before kicking it long down the wings for a runner to try and get on the end of. That is not Jack's game. It would frustrate Jack. 

Until we have a manager that actually knows how to set up an attack minded team and has more than a very limited 'plan A' I would rather Jack was not involved. 

• Like 1

I kind of like that Southgate is making it hard for Grealish, I like that he is challenging him and annoying him. There is no question that he has further stepped up his game since. Every player needs to be challenged, there is a chance that the player will start disliking that figure, rather it be the manager of England than the manager of Villa.

As much as I dislike Southgate, there is no question that Grealish has really upped his game, it can be discussed if its because of Southgate or not, but it certainly hasn't hurt Villa. Every player needs that motivation and kick, this motivation can be money related, transfer related or proving people wrong, etc. I feel like it was getting a bit to easy for Grealish at Villa, he could do no wrong here. This saga certainly hasn't harmed his overall game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Right now Jack may or may not be better than Stirling, but he's 100% better than Rashford AND Sancho, there is no doubt about that. 

Sterling and Sancho has been poor this season

But of course Gareth won't bring that up because Jack is measured by a higher standard.

If Jack isn't getting an assist or goal in every game he plays he isn't in contention to start

It's hilarious when getting questions about Jack all Gareth brings up are goals and assists. It's incredibly narrow minded that being your only focus. It's so much more to his game than just goalpoints.

Edited by villalad21

He has lost it.

Obviously trying to let people know he's aware of the Mount thing. What the press officer who's briefed him should have warned him is it absolutely isn't just Villa fans.

He really can't afford to start Grealish in amongst the strongest team because he won't be able to drop him again. Far too much of his time is devoted to worrying about Jack.

• Like 1

I'm paraphrasing from The Telegraph  article here but Southgate continues... 

"we're not blind to a good player" in Grealish and for this friendly he has found a solution. They will both play with Mount asked to fulfil "a slightly different role" in the centre of midfield where England remain short of options. 

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He has lost it.

Obviously trying to let people know he's aware of the Mount thing. What the press officer who's briefed him should have warned him is it absolutely isn't just Villa fans.

He really can't afford to start Grealish in amongst the strongest team because he won't be able to drop him again. Far too much of his time is devoted to worrying about Jack.

100 %

Clear agenda and he is desperate for Jack to have a bad game and being "proved right"

He's painted himself into a corner tbf. It takes a big man accept he got it wrong, and it might be Southgate isn't that big man.

He comes across as someone pointed out earlier with a serious chip on his shoulder. 

I know Jack will disagree with me for obvious reasons, but I'd prefer he didn't play international footy. I really couldn't give a shit about any national side, and especially the English one. Stay fit for AVFC and play your football here. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Yeah, it's now become a monster of a "thing" and he's clearly got his nose out of joint over it, which with Southgate is a pretty serious problem. 

The national team and Grealish can do without the circus that's now developing. But I still say Southgate created the circus, if he just answered the questions put to him this whole Mason Mount situation would not even exist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Right now Jack may or may not be better than Stirling, but he's 100% better than Rashford AND Sancho, there is no doubt about that. 

The way I answer that question is who would you have in your team out of the two of them, it then answers itself as to who is the better 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

As much as I dislike Southgate, there is no question that Grealish has really upped his game, it can be discussed if its because of Southgate or not, but it certainly hasn't hurt Villa. Every player needs that motivation and kick, this motivation can be money related, transfer related or proving people wrong, etc. I feel like it was getting a bit to easy for Grealish at Villa, he could do no wrong here. This saga certainly hasn't harmed his overall game. 

Jack hasn't really stepped his game up, players around him have and we have brought in other players who compliment him. This has brought more media attention, most Villa fans who have watched Jack over the last 3 seasons knew he was a very special player and once we had a team around him he would be world class. 

Southgate is hopeless, he lost us the best chance to get to a world cup final we have had in the last 50 years. Even in that game he had no way to change the game when we went behind, no answers. The sooner he has gone the better. He is destined to fail, he always was .

Suit me if Jack wasn't played tonight, but he will be and then dropped for the important games only to be brought on if we're losing . 

I really find it hard to believe that a grown man in his position would say the things that Southgate has said. It’s an insult to school kids to compare that to the kind of thing you’d hear in the playground. 

If in a normal job, if you spoke publicly about a fellow employee in that immature way, serious questions would be asked about your character and suitability to be in control of anything more valuable than a brush. 

Gareth Southgate has become unhinged and should be removed for his own good. Then again when you see the people who run the FA, it’s hardly a surprise that they appointed such an unsuitable candidate in the first case. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

I have a maybe unpopular take on this, which is that fundamentally it is the manager's job to pick the team, not the media or the FA or the fans, and I'm starting to cringe at what is in danger of becoming a circus. I mean, my reaction to sentences like 'Perhaps someone higher up has had a word that he's out of a job if Jack isn't in the squad' (from the previous page) is that that had better not be **** true.

I'm not an idiot, and I want Grealish to play for England as well. But I want him to play *because the manager wants him to play*, not because the manager has caved in because an FA suit has told him to, or because he's embarrassed about memes on social media.

• Like 1

he'll probably start in the meaningless/pointless Ireland friendly and play well again and then get dropped for the other games and not even get a sniff.

Gareth might give him a five minute cameo in one of the competitive matches, but the goofy twonk will do anything he can to avoid starting Grealish in a competitive match.

Hope i'm wrong.

Â