The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

On 19/09/2017 at 10:23, rodders0223 said:

I would say the fact Hogg is now a PL midfielder and performing in the PL just show the standards of the PL are ever decreasing.

Hogg and Barry Bannan ran the show v Man Utd one year yet once Houlier left both plummeted. Having a manager that sets teams up correctly helps all young players unfortunately we've not had one for a while so bringing it back to Jack he'll struggle unless the team knows what it's doing. 

Hope he gets his act together, he clearly has talent, it just needs coaching. A team with Grealish, Green, Davis and O’Hare would be a real credit to the club.

It seemed right at the time but its thought provoking that we let Cahill, Bannan, Albrighton, Davis and Clark all leave but are all now or have featured in PL teams while we our high turnover of turgid or transitional signings have come and gone. I think next season we may well rue letting Clark and Baker leave so cheaply, or even at all.

• Like 3

On 19/09/2017 at 00:05, Adam2003 said:

Another young player being written off by fans way too early. Here I am seeing Jonathan Hogg holding together a Huddersfield midfield in the Prem, Mark Albrighton winning the league, the list gets ever longer and we never learn...

(*Some* fans I should say)

Can’t disagree with feck all of this post! Sums football fans in general up! Well said Adam

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't see Bruce dropping Snograss, so if Grealish is going to be wide it will be as back up. Potentially off Kodjia though, perhaps that way we will get to see Bruce's pre-season masterplan.

Even after only playing in the 10 position once during pre season,  Bruce made a rod for his own back with that particular comment. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Haven't missed him at all, really. 

Time's starting to tick a bit for him I think. 

Depending on how long his injury keeps him out, i wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season at the club. Its make or break. 

Will literally never understand anybody who thinks we should sell Grealish. Tell me: what benefit would this bring us? If he is out-of-form and we sell him, we get, what, £5m max. For a player who only somebody either very short-sighted or extremely negative in how they wish their team to be set-up would view as not having the potential to be one of our very best players. £5m in this day and age would get us a bang-average CB who would be gone in two years.

I think there is a pretty reasonable chance, not a great chance, that Grealish will be Premier League quality one day. He is a Villa fan, he is young, he is not milking us dry with his wages. He is, by all accounts, a bit immature but certainly not a "disruptive influence" on the team. Why on earth anybody would want to sell him is beyond me.

Very good upside, very limited downside. What's the hurry, seriously. On the note of "what's the hurry", if people would take a more long-term, patient approach, somebody like Jack would flourish and build confidence. Instead, some are all too keen to knock him down and knock his confidence. We'd all benefit from taking our time with him. The style of football he is forced to play in doesn't exactly help either. A very English thing to get into a young player before they are fully developed, doesn't really happen in Germany. See: respective success of national teams.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Will literally never understand anybody who thinks we should sell Grealish. Tell me: what benefit would this bring us? If he is out-of-form and we sell him, we get, what, £5m max. For a player who only somebody either very short-sighted or extremely negative in how they wish their team to be set-up would view as not having the potential to be one of our very best players. £5m in this day and age would get us a bang-average CB who would be gone in two years.

I think there is a pretty reasonable chance, not a great chance, that Grealish will be Premier League quality one day. He is a Villa fan, he is young, he is not milking us dry with his wages. He is, by all accounts, a bit immature but certainly not a "disruptive influence" on the team. Why on earth anybody would want to sell him is beyond me.

Very good upside, very limited downside. What's the hurry, seriously. On the note of "what's the hurry", if people would take a more long-term, patient approach, somebody like Jack would flourish and build confidence. Instead, some are all too keen to knock him down and knock his confidence. We'd all benefit from taking our time with him. The style of football he is forced to play in doesn't exactly help either. A very English thing to get into a young player before they are fully developed, doesn't really happen in Germany. See: respective success of national teams.

I haven't seen much from Jack that suggests to me he is worth keeping though. He has been around the 1st team for a good few years now and hasnt kicked on at all. There's the odd game where he looks useful in parts but that's far outweighed by the times he looks at best average.

I'd live too see him come good but I just don't think we should keep him on the books forever, waiting to see if he ever does actually develop into a good player.

I think we should see out this season and see where we are with him then. He needs to really break through once back from this injury. Otherwise, I will be ready to let him leave.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Its much where I am with him......I would like to see him in a more settled side and I think we are......not right yet, but more settled in a 4-4-2

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

As a fan there are certain players that you want to see with the ball at their feet, that make you take notice and sit up in your seat a bit. And for me Jack is one of them. Most players you know exactly what they are thinking and what they are going to with the ball before they get it, but not with  Jack.

Lets be honest, 80% of football is boring and predictable so we should enjoy and celebrate when we have a player willing to do something a bit different and bring some creativity into the game. I don't care if players lose the ball trying something great  but unfortunately the game has developed where players are scared to make a mistake and mess up their opta stats or whatever.

I could write many things about his flaws......but conversely he is a threat.

We don't have too many players who are a threat, but slowly its increasing with form.

Edited by TRO

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear he is back.

I hope people show a bit of patience with him though and allow him to get up to speed. He is the most naturally talented player in the squad and for me the most naturally gifted player we have produced since Mark Walters came through the ranks in the early 80's.

What he has lacked is applying himself in the right way and also he has lacked confidence. It also hasn't helped his development that he broke through at a time the club was in the middle of a dire spell, that he has had no continuity and worked under 6 managers and had had some very poor role models influencing.

I hope and I actually think the penny may have dropped for him and that we will hopefully now see the best of him once fully fit. Potentially he is head and shoulders above any player in this division.

• Like 1

dont see where he fits in if we carry of playing 4-4-2 if im honest, he's never a winger, if we went to a diamond with him behind the 2 then i think thats his best role but that would mean adomah wouldnt fit

think we're more likely to see davis up top with jack and kodjia off him and im not sure that works

It'll be interesting this time around.  Putting his problems aside for a minute because we know what they are and we've done them to death.  I think it's fair to say that to date in his career Jack has been part of largely terrible and dysfunctional Villa sides.  His career has co-incided with some of the absolute worst management of Villa ever.  But since his injury this Villa side has started to function.  And no, before anyone says it, it's not because of his absence.  It's just happened that way.

So when he comes back and gets into the side, he'll be part of the first functional and stable Villa side he's almost ever been in.  And with everyone knowing their job, it could be a damn good side if we can get him clicking with the front men. 

It'll also be interesting to see how he interacts with Hogan, as I suspect their styles will complement each other.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

dont see where he fits in if we carry of playing 4-4-2 if im honest, he's never a winger, if we went to a diamond with him behind the 2 then i think thats his best role but that would mean adomah wouldnt fit

think we're more likely to see davis up top with jack and kodjia off him and im not sure that works

Agree he's no winger.  I think he needs to focus on perfecting that number 10 role just behind the striker.

Whilst I think Davis and Kodjia are our best starting option upfront in a 4-4-2, Jack is a great option to come on for either of them and add something a little different.

• Like 1

Â