The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

20 appearances and three goals in the league for Citeh in 23/4. That's the least appearances he's made in a senior team since the season we were relegated and he fell out with Garde. 16 games in other competitions in 23/4 for Citeh, no goals. 

He can jump about on that bus, be the party starter and collect all of those medals, but deep down Jack wants to play football and entertain on the pitch. 

The world has already lost three seasons of the most scintillating English player of his generation. As others have said, he needs to get the chance to express himself on the pitch again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

20 appearances and three goals in the league for Citeh in 23/4. That's the least appearances he's made in a senior team since the season we were relegated and he fell out with Garde. 16 games in other competitions in 23/4 for Citeh, no goals. 

He can jump about on that bus, be the party starter and collect all of those medals, but deep down Jack wants to play football and entertain on the pitch. 

The world has already lost three seasons of the most scintillating English player of his generation. As others have said, he needs to get the chance to express himself on the pitch again.

Maybe in Spain or Germany or maybe he's not bothered. He's getting paid a fortune for doing little, winning medals. He can see out his contract then go play his twilight years for whoever. 

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

if we were to take an ex-villa player from Man City next year my vote would be for Kyle Walker personally 

Good player but an absolute scumbag. No thanks

• Like 4

On 28/05/2024 at 07:16, TheMelvillan said:

but if all his kids, wives and exes buy a villa shirt it gets us close to the magic 300,000 number

This is a man with his eyes on the bigger prize. Well done.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2024 at 22:08, Spoony said:

I can’t believe people would have him back. His final days at the top have arrived. 

Do you ever comment when he takes the time to look after disabled children at games? Check out the video where he stops and chats to the blind girl when he picks up a medal. 

A 28yr old footballer enjoying himself at the end of the season has no reflection on his ability as a player. 

Out of interest, has anyone changed their mind over the past year? 

You might have wanted him to return but now you don’t, or you were still unhappy about his departure and have since mellowed and a return wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world…anyone at all changed their mind or are each of us still of the view that they pretty much have been?

I ask the question but I’m a bit of a hypocrite because I haven’t. I’m not 100% for or against the idea and haven’t ever felt so either way. I never thought I’d like to see Ashley Young in a Villa shirt again, but that changed. I’m mostly of the view that the timing and the cost of a theoretical deal doesn’t/will not align with where he is in his career and where we are/aiming to be.

I basically think that £50m and 250/300k worth of weekly wages probably could be better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You might have wanted him to return but now you don’t, or you were still unhappy about his departure and have since mellowed and a return wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world…anyone at all changed their mind or are each of us still of the view that they pretty much have been?

I ask the question but I’m a bit of a hypocrite because I haven’t. I’m not 100% for or against the idea and haven’t ever felt so either way. I never thought I’d like to see Ashley Young in a Villa shirt again, but that changed. I’m mostly of the view that the timing and the cost of a theoretical deal doesn’t/will not align with where he is in his career and where we are/aiming to be.

I basically think that £50m and 250/300k worth of weekly wages probably could be better spent elsewhere.

Cut him, harsh but fair 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have a little. Im not entirely in one camp or another. I battle myself over it, sometimes I would want him back and other times not.

A year ago I certainly wouldve leant to "bring him home" if we could. Now, I don't think a return is right. His fee and wages would still be extremely high but as a club we've moved on and I don't think he'd be good value.

If we were anguishing in mid or lower table, a sentimental return would be great for the fans..but we have a chance to do something special with Unai and can't be led by emotion.

Younger, fitter, rising players are out there for cheaper and that's where we should focus. If he's available on a free one day, sure. But he is only halfway through his contract and I imagine in 3 more years he'll be close to finished

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 27/05/2024 at 20:01, Keyblade said:

Just for the sake of football I'd like to see him leave and recapture his Villa form and spirit. Also, I'd hate for that to happen at another club (likely a rival). Just bring the bastard home.

I honestly wouldn't want him to came back.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

My issue isn't one of morals or pride, or even finances

I actually question whether he is still as good a player as he was when he was last with us? 

He just seems so pedestrian and average when I watch him now. 

Don't know if maybe we hyped him up too much when he was here, or if Pep has sucked the footballing soul and excitement out of him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I actually question whether he is still as good a player as he was when he was last with us? 

Don't know if maybe we hyped him up too much when he was here, or if Pep has sucked the footballing soul and excitement out of him

I'd bet my house Unai getting the best out of him, given the chance.

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Putting aside the question of whether he is still as good a player as when he was here, he wouldn't be the same player he was to us now as he was then. 

At the time, he was Villa, he was basically our entire tactic and everything went through him.

That wouldn't be the case now.

Unai is a better tactician and wouldn't allow us to be that predictable and we also have better attacking options to support.

He wouldn't get as much of the ball but might have more freedom from being less marked.

Whether this would make Jack a better or worse player for us, I'm not sure.

I'd have him back but I don't think Unai would stand for the party side. I do think if he is motivated to come (a pay cut would go some way to proving that) then he would regain his best form.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I'd have him back but I don't think Unai would stand for the party side. I do think if he is motivated to come (a pay cut would go some way to proving that) then he would regain his best form.

You don’t think Emery would let him celebrate winning the league?

The same Emery who happily sat in a room with villa Players spraying champagne all over the place with a game in 5 days?

I think he’d probably let him off

• Like 1

I wouldn't want him back. Surely transfer fee and wages would be restrictive to FFP. Plus would Unai want him??

• Like 1

Â