Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I'm nearly 32 and my partner is nearly 30. We don't have kids but both have previously said we intend do. I'm increasingly of the feeling however that bringing a person unwillingly into this world, to face this future, is not something I want to have on my hands.

Sorry if that offends people - and I'm sure it will - but it's how I feel sometimes. I'm already scared enough for our own future let alone that of my potential children.

Anyway happy Sunday!

Fully understand where you’re coming from but you are missing out on one of the greatest experiences life can give you

• Like 1

On 15/06/2022 at 11:14, The Fun Factory said:

I read somewhere just how bad bitcoin mining is to the environment with the amount of energy required. Another reason why it should be banned.

Been saying this for years. All to support a speculative fictional economy of currencies with little to none real world application. It's disgusting and a major reason why I don't invest in any cryptos.

On 15/06/2022 at 10:04, HKP90 said:

And despite this, nearly a third of people polled on this forum alone, people whose kids are going to be killed by the effects of climate change, despite reams of evidence to the contrary don't even think it's an anthropogenic effect. 

That poll was 12 years ago when the evidence wasn’t 100% conclusive (or not believed to be conclusive).  

A lot has changed in those 12 years with regards to climate change.

15 hours ago, MNVillan said:

It’s going to be 100 degrees Fahrenheit in Minnesota tomorrow. 
It’s hardly ever 100 degrees Fahrenheit in Minnesota.

It's 37c today in Minnesota!

Isn't Minnesota snowy - it's Fargo country isn't it, Vikings, American-Scandinavia?

That's 10c above the average there - is it a bit of shock locally?

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's 37c today in Minnesota!

Isn't Minnesota snowy - it's Fargo country isn't it, Vikings, American-Scandinavia?

That's 10c above the average there - is it a bit of shock locally?

Yeah, we have snow 6 months of the year. It hardly ever gets this hot

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ender4 said:

That poll was 12 years ago when the evidence wasn’t 100% conclusive (or not believed to be conclusive).  

A lot has changed in those 12 years with regards to climate change.

Be curious what the results would be if it was rerun. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We should probably pin this thread..

I've been thinking about air travel and how much carbon it vomits into the atmosphere. 

It's really bad.

Can we afford to keep getting on airplanes and flying somewhere for a 5 night holiday?

Should sports teams be flying around the world for exhibition matches?

Should sports teams fly at all?

Should air travel be severely limited?

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

We should probably pin this thread..

I've been thinking about air travel and how much carbon it vomits into the atmosphere. 

It's really bad.

Can we afford to keep getting on airplanes and flying somewhere for a 5 night holiday?

Should sports teams be flying around the world for exhibition matches?

Should sports teams fly at all?

Should air travel be severely limited?

It's not just air travel, as you know? What else we gonna limit, food production maybe, alsorts of manufacturing.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

It's not just air travel, as you know? What else we gonna limit, food production maybe, alsorts of manufacturing.

Clearly food production is the highest priority.

But certain types of food are not sustainable and use too much water.

Cattle and hog feed require so much water and then there's grazing areas and waste removal and transport. It's all avoidable as we don't absolutely have to eat meat to survive. 

Almonds require an exorbitant amount of water. They are delicious but is it worth it in drought conditions?

Should we continue to fill plastic bottles full of diabetes causing soda? I say no.

Edited by maqroll

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Clearly food production is the highest priority.

But certain types of food are not sustainable and use too much water.

Cattle and hog feed require so much water and then there's grazing areas and waste removal and transport. It's all avoidable as we don't absolutely have to eat meat to survive. 

Almonds require an exorbitant amount of water. They are delicious but is it worth it in drought conditions?

Should we continue to fill plastic bottles full of diabetes causing soda? I say no.

Who will transport your vegetables and fruits if you can't emit carbon

We can try change, but I doubt its possible to limit. Its all a bit idealistic.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Oh, if we can't completely eliminate emissions, let's all just sit back and enjoy the slow descent into oblivion then.

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe it isn't feasible to import vegetables and fruits from half way across the planet and people should change diets to more locally grown foods.

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Maybe it isn't feasible to import vegetables and fruits from half way across the planet and people should change diets to more locally grown foods.

Let me know when this happens.

There's lots we can do admitted. But I just find most of the time we are fighting a losing battle. They need to make it easier to change. I.e cheaper. Electric cars at a premium, heat pumps too expensive, home grown food expensive, eco homes at a premium, an on an on.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Let me know when this happens.

There's lots we can do admitted. But I just find most of the time we are fighting a losing battle. They need to make it easier to change. I.e cheaper. Electric cars at a premium, heat pumps too expensive, home grown food expensive, eco homes at a premium, an on an on.

You're right it's too expensive. The reality is that if market forces don't make the responsible product more attractive, regulation needs to do it.

We are well past the point of making small, convenient changes. Paper straws and recycling jam jars isn't going to avoid catastrophe. We have too many damn people on this planet, and globalised capitalism/consumerism is killing us.

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, if we can't completely eliminate emissions, let's all just sit back and enjoy the slow descent into oblivion then.

As someone who studied climate, sad to say that descent started at least two decades ago. We've not seen the effect of the last decade or more of emissions yet. And they are still. Still. After all this talk of net zero, going up globally. We haven't even started to start to reduce emissions. The time where we could act to prevent the worst is, unfortunately over. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You're right it's too expensive. The reality is that if market forces don't make the responsible product more attractive, regulation needs to do it.

We are well past the point of making small, convenient changes. Paper straws and recycling jam jars isn't going to avoid catastrophe. We have too many damn people on this planet, and globalised capitalism/consumerism is killing us.

Don't necessarily agree with you on the resources argument. It's a long old debate in Geography circles, but I've never prescribed to that argument myself.

At the end of the day we as a species possessed the technology to solve this in the 1990s. Collectively (although as I've been screaming about this since my days at uni in the early 2000s I am loathed to put myself in this group) we have only lacked the will. That's why it's so tragic, and why I and many of my former colleagues (I don't work in that field now), are so utterly heartbroken on an almost daily basis. 

Edited by HKP90

Â