Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

While Queensland were having these floods we were experiancing our hottest summer ever,so gigantic floods and the hottest summer ever both in the same country and both at the same time ?!

• 2 weeks later...

I read a line on this from someone that said "While nations are spending on arms like there's no tomorrow, very quietly it's becoming clear that there will be no tomorrow."

The way things are going, I don't think it's possible that you can guarantee that a child born into the world today will have the opportunity to reach a full natural life - and that's a massive tragedy and a chilling condemnation of how badly our society got its priorities wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Following those polar heatwaves, the Conger ice shelf has collapsed.

It was about one and a third times the size of the West Midlands.

I was reading about another one the size of Florida that is a potential danger. If it does collapse, it's large enough to raise sea levels by half a meter. They've nicknamed it the Doomsday Glacier.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I was reading about another one the size of Florida that is a potential danger. If it does collapse, it's large enough to raise sea levels by half a meter. They've nicknamed it the Doomsday Glacier.

What was worrying about this one (which is relatively small) was that it was in East Antartica, which was the part considered most sound up until the recent heatwave.

Northern New South Wales is flooding again, just a month after the last floods. 

Flood waters have breached the levee in Lismore for the second time in a month, while Byron Bay has suffered “unprecedented” flash flooding as the New South Wales northern rivers region continues to be battered by heavy rain.

Rainfall totals in excess of 400mm in 24 hours in the region caused widespread flooding, with 16 evacuation orders current at 2pm Wednesday for areas including Lismore, Kyogle, Bellingen, Broadwater and Coraki.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/mar/30/lismore-residents-ordered-to-evacuate-homes-again-as-flood-waters-threaten-town

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, sne said:

And yet India is buying and burning as much Russian gas as they can get their hands on. The place should be coated in solar panels, they should be generating enough to export. 

They could have fields of Solar Panels generating power to create green Hydrogen. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

And yet India is buying and burning as much Russian gas as they can get their hands on. The place should be coated in solar panels, they should be generating enough to export. 

They could have fields of Solar Panels generating power to create green Hydrogen. 

And if they're quick they can do it before big chunks of the country become uninhabitable.

Heat waves are one of those things that worry me - I'm not good with heat, when it hits 30c there's not much I'm good for - the high 40's are terrifying - I can see myself spending my last summers sitting in a cold bath waiting for it to go away.

I guess for us in the UK, heatwaves will be a thing, but not to that extent, and our main direct threat will be storms, flooding and rising sea levels - with the indirect threat of tens of millions of displaced people heading to the UK being the most pressing symptom of the coming apocalypse.

• 3 weeks later...

Geneva, 18 May 2022 (WMO) - Four key climate change indicators – greenhouse gas concentrations, sea level rise, ocean heat and ocean acidification – set new records in 2021. This is yet another clear sign that human activities are causing planetary scale changes on land, in the ocean, and in the atmosphere, with harmful and long-lasting ramifications for sustainable development and ecosystems, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

Extreme weather – the day-to-day “face” of climate change – led to hundreds of billions of dollars in economic losses and wreaked a heavy toll on human lives and well-being and triggered shocks for food and water security and displacement that have accentuated in 2022.

The WMO State of the Global Climate in 2021 report confirmed that the past seven years have been the warmest seven years on record. 2021 was “only” one of the seven warmest because of a La Niña event at the start and end of the year. This had a temporary cooling effect but did not reverse the overall trend of rising temperatures. The average global temperature in 2021 was about 1.11 (± 0.13) °C above the pre-industrial level.

Criticizing “the dismal litany of humanity’s failure to tackle climate disruption,” United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres used the publication of the WMO flagship report to call for urgent action to grab the “low-hanging fruit” of transforming energy systems away from the “dead end” of fossil fuels to renewable energy.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/four-key-climate-change-indicators-break-records-2021

The money god needs to go for something less destructive.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/03/2022 at 12:42, OutByEaster? said:

I read a line on this from someone that said "While nations are spending on arms like there's no tomorrow, very quietly it's becoming clear that there will be no tomorrow."

The way things are going, I don't think it's possible that you can guarantee that a child born into the world today will have the opportunity to reach a full natural life - and that's a massive tragedy and a chilling condemnation of how badly our society got its priorities wrong.

And despite this, nearly a third of people polled on this forum alone, people whose kids are going to be killed by the effects of climate change, despite reams of evidence to the contrary don't even think it's an anthropogenic effect. The world is absolutely f**ked. 

I feel like screaming at people engaged in any other political subject 'What's the f**king point if we're all destroyed by Climate Change'. It should be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority of everyone on earth. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I read somewhere just how bad bitcoin mining is to the environment with the amount of energy required. Another reason why it should be banned.

Without checking what it is now, 6-12 months ago bitcoin mining (in 1 year) used up more energy than Argentina does on an annual basis.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/15/sea-level-rise-in-england-will-force-200000-to-abandon-homes-data-shows

Due to the climate crisis, within 30 years these coastal properties will be potentially unsalvageable, researchers say.

Sea level rise will put about 200,000 coastal properties in England at risk within 30 years, new data suggests, as the climate crisis takes hold.

I imagine they're going to find themselves shit out of luck and insurers refuse to cover them as we get closer to that inevitability, and they'll be gouged a bit more each and every year until they refuse cover entirely.

I ruled out any property that was close to the Trent because flooding risks are clearly going to increase, I have lots of sympathy for people who bought the property decades ago (though they may well be gone before this problem hits), anyone buying property in the affected areas in recent years needs their head looking at.

On 25/03/2022 at 12:42, OutByEaster? said:

The way things are going, I don't think it's possible that you can guarantee that a child born into the world today will have the opportunity to reach a full natural life

I'm nearly 32 and my partner is nearly 30. We don't have kids but both have previously said we intend do. I'm increasingly of the feeling however that bringing a person unwillingly into this world, to face this future, is not something I want to have on my hands.

Sorry if that offends people - and I'm sure it will - but it's how I feel sometimes. I'm already scared enough for our own future let alone that of my potential children.

Anyway happy Sunday!

• Like 2

Â