Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Don't necessarily agree with you on the resources argument. It's a long old debate in Geography circles, but I've never prescribed to that argument myself.

At the end of the day we as a species possessed the technology to solve this in the 1990s. Collectively (although as I've been screaming about this since my days at uni in the early 2000s I am loathed to put myself in this group) we have only lacked the will. That's why it's so tragic, and why I and many of my former colleagues (I don't work in that field now), are so utterly heartbroken on an almost daily basis. 

Depends how they want to live though, doesn't it?

There are many political complications, most critically no government is going to want to tell its people that some of their luxuries are no longer viable, but there's also the difficulty of the developed world Vs everyone else. We can cut back on flights, animal agriculture, improve our fuel efficiencies and meet net zero. But there's China, India, Brazil, Pakistan, pumping out huge amounts of carbon, and trying to get them and other poorer to willingly sacrifice their industrialisation after we've caused the problem and reaped the benefits seems... Challenging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Depends how they want to live though, doesn't it?

There are many political complications, most critically no government is going to want to tell its people that some of their luxuries are no longer viable, but there's also the difficulty of the developed world Vs everyone else. We can cut back on flights, animal agriculture, improve our fuel efficiencies and meet net zero. But there's China, India, Brazil, Pakistan, pumping out huge amounts of carbon, and trying to get them and other poorer to willingly sacrifice their industrialisation after we've caused the problem and reaped the benefits seems... Challenging.

We used to call that 'The Environmental Management Paradox', and it is a knotty problem because the developing world has a point. Who are we to tell them they have to decarbonise after the economic fruit of industry has resulted in us becoming 'developed' at the expense of the developing world. Problem is, that now needs to happen. But it won't. Which is why we're f**ked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Serious question. Why do you seem to take pride in just dismissing any worry or concern?

People's homes are burning down. 

I'm of a different mindset than some, it's not so shocking. It's harrowing seeing people's homes on fire, but people die in car accidents everyday, what we gonna do about that, stop driving. Shit happens all over the world, should we worry about that, do you worry about them Africians dying of pneumonia. Do footballers worry everytime they wake up in the morning. 

I've learnt alot on this forum lately, one being people take things far too seriously, you need to enjoy life, an stop worrying about things that haven't happened, or how you can do your bit for diversity. Our future kids will manage, they are smarter than us and they may even have a better life.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm of a different mindset than some, it's not so shocking. It's harrowing seeing people's homes on fire, but people die in car accidents everyday, what we gonna do about that, stop driving. Shit happens all over the world, should we worry about that, do you worry about them Africians dying of pneumonia. Do footballers worry everytime they wake up in the morning. 

I've learnt alot on this forum lately, one being people take things far too seriously, you need to enjoy life, an stop worrying about things that haven't happened, or how you can do your bit for diversity. Our future kids will manage, they are smarter than us and they may even have a better life.

I can understand how some might not worry or be concerned. But you go out of your way to show how much you just don't care or almost mock people that might like the front page of a daily mail issue. That I don't get. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I can understand how some might not worry or be concerned. But you go out of your way to show how much you just don't care or almost mock people that might like the front page of a daily mail issue. That I don't get. 

I don't mock people or take pride in it at all, its just chatter on a forum, so no need to turn twitter user on me, trying to make me out to be righteous, cause im far ftom that. It maybe that my own social circle dont worry about stuff that we personally have little control over, unlike a few on this forum, worrying how that gay footballer is going to live his life now hes come out, or how we are unsure to have kids because of the future of global warming. We may moan about work, maybe that poor driver on the motorway, talk about a movie, but rarely politics and no one would mention this heatwave is cause we are in the shit with global warming, they would probably just say how nice the weather has been, for a change, especially the girls. Is this ignoring the negatives in life, maybe, is a bad thing, no way, it's just a different opinion to yours, which for some on here seems to be a huge problem.

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Is it still one vote each yeh?

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't mock people or take pride in it at all, its just chatter on a forum, so no need to turn twitter user on me, trying to make me out to be righteous, cause im far ftom that. It maybe that my own social circle dont worry about stuff that we personally have little control over, unlike a few on this forum, worrying how that gay footballer is going to live his life now hes come out, or how we are unsure to have kids because of the future of global warming. We may moan about work, maybe that poor driver on the motorway, talk about a movie, but rarely politics and no one would mention this heatwave is cause we are in the shit with global warming, they would probably just say how nice the weather has been, for a change, especially the girls. Is this ignoring the negatives in life, maybe, is a bad thing, no way, it's just a different opinion to yours, which for some on here seems to be a huge problem.

but you do have control over it. we all do. climate change is real but your posts sound like "well it's too late now" or "our kids are smart and they'll sort it out"

there are small changes you can make on a daily basis that contribute. walk to the corner shop or use some dairy free products where the alternative tastes identical

so if you aren't a climate change denier, then you simply don't care...which is arguably worse

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Thank god there are people on the world who don’t think like this 

What I'm getting disrespected just because i dont think like some of you guys. You all must be great at a party worrying about the world.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but you do have control over it. we all do. climate change is real but your posts sound like "well it's too late now" or "our kids are smart and they'll sort it out"

there are small changes you can make on a daily basis that contribute. walk to the corner shop or use some dairy free products where the alternative tastes identical

so if you aren't a climate change denier, then you simply don't care...which is arguably worse

I do my bit, it don't mean we have control over it. 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't any disrespect, stop hiding behind this "oooh I've got a different opinion and everyone is attacking me". You're allowed to have a different opinion, but people are allowed to disagree with you when you express it. You can't just say something and then throw your toys out of the pram when anyone challenges you.

All I'm saying is thank god there are people in the world who don't think "No point in worrying about any of this, our kids will sort it out". Basically who cares if we **** the planet up, we won't be around to deal with it.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in

I don't have a huge input in "f**** the planet up". You just think because it's not a priority in my life, I'm one of the bad ones, that's disrespectful. Your also Judging me from comments on a forum, you don't know me, that's hypocritical.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't have a huge input in "f**** the planet up". You just think because it's not a priority in my life, I'm one of the bad ones, that's disrespectful. Your also Judging me from comments on a forum, you don't know me, that's hypocritical.

I didn't say you were one of the bad ones. Why are you making things up? I was referring to this:

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

you need to enjoy life, an stop worrying about things that haven't happened, or how you can do your bit for diversity. Our future kids will manage, they are smarter than us and they may even have a better life.

Which very much reads as "we can't do anything about anything so **** it, our kids will deal with it"

All I'm saying is thank goodness not everyone thinks like that or we'd all be ****.

I have GMB on in the background. They had a climate protestor on and some old "broadcaster". The climate protestor said his bit. First thing the broadcaster said?

"... if we even are in a climate crisis..."

Why do people still think like this? It's akin to thinking the earth is flat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I thought the ever obvious destruction of the planet and the need for everyone to acknowledge and change their habits in small ways wouldn't be such a hot topic.

Seriously!  It's so obvious we all need to start doing our part - however small - because the planet is getting seriously **** up.

I find it fascinating how peoples' views generally fall on the same side with regards to, let's say, lockdowns, vaccines, trans rights, global warming, benefit claimants etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Seriously!  It's so obvious we all need to start doing our part - however small - because the planet is getting seriously **** up.

I find it fascinating how peoples' views generally fall on the same side with regards to, let's say, lockdowns, vaccines, trans rights, global warming, benefit claimants etc.

I find it fascinating how you think there should  only be one view!

Â