Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is off road parking the norm in Norway. One of the issues that I think the UK has, one of the many. We have terraced atreets without off road parking. Cars parallel parked bumper to bumper. Unsure how the government will incentivise the installation of charging points for all of those.  

Yes, it's true that one forthcoming problem appears likely to be pavements covered in cables going from car to house.

Meanwhile, Cardiff Uni have a brand new purpose built building to showcase re use and remanufacture…

Just, er, just let that sink in for a minute.

I read the whole article hoping that eventually they would reveal the building was recycled in some way, made of old sea containers, or beer bottles or some such. Nope. Brand new. A brand new building, dedicated to promoting recycling. Couldn’t have been any empty buildings hanging around South Wales I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Is off road parking the norm in Norway. One of the issues that I think the UK has, one of the many. We have terraced atreets without off road parking. Cars parallel parked bumper to bumper. Unsure how the government will incentivise the installation of charging points for all of those.  

I don't even know what that mean. Are you saying you are parking on the pavement or on the shoulder of the road?

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't even know what that mean. Are you saying you are parking on the pavement or on the shoulder of the road?

image.jpeg.b017df1f8d80d87bead64a37dd318304.jpeg

Hopefully once all those are electric cars their owners won’t all be running cables from the livingroom window across the footpath to the car 😆

Edited by LondonLax
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So a lot of older houses do not have gardens, so nowhere to park and therefore its parking in the street, most of the time all parts of the side of the road are taken up with cars. 

Well, maybe you should subsidize 1 m2 from the municipality to landowners to establish charging points, assuming the landowners can cover the digging costs themselves. I dunno.

But yes, that would be a practical issue.

But I think with time charging at home will be done less and less. Might as well have charging stations, just like you got petrol stations. On the new cars a 0-50% battery takes about 10-12 minutes.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Yeah the solution should definitely be communal charging points rather than every home having their own chargers. If I had one at the moment I'd probably just end up charging it at the supermarket once a week.

It won't work for people who drive hundreds of miles a day but they're very much an exception.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Meanwhile, Cardiff Uni have a brand new purpose built building to showcase re use and remanufacture…

Just, er, just let that sink in for a minute.

I read the whole article hoping that eventually they would reveal the building was recycled in some way, made of old sea containers, or beer bottles or some such. Nope. Brand new. A brand new building, dedicated to promoting recycling. Couldn’t have been any empty buildings hanging around South Wales I guess.

Is that a BREEAM certified building?

I think with self driving cars there will also be a reduction in the need to own a car yourself and just call up the self driving ‘taxi’ from a central car park of pool cars for your journeys. Sort of like having a lease car with an AI chauffeur on call. 

Presumably if you wanted to own the car you could still do that but have it stored in a dedicated charge car park off site and call it to drive up to your house when you need it. 

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is that a BREEAM certified building?

I don’t know the building beyond what I’ve read up today.

But I’s expect a new build of that size and purpose to be BREEAM excellent.

I’ve worked on a couple lately where the brief has said they ‘aspire’ to be BREEAM excellent, but do not require the certificate at the end of the build. Which is a very long winded way of saying ‘not BREEAM’.

• 2 months later...

Five takeaways from the IPCC’s 2021 climate science report

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has published its first update on the physical science of climate change since 2013. Here are the key messages

1. We are set to pass 1.5C warming by 2040

The warming of recent decades has not been seen for millennia, is happening rapidly and almost everywhere on earth and has reversed a long-term global cooling trend. We need to go back around 125,000 years to find evidence of warmer global surface temperatures, spanning multiple centuries.

2. Human activity is driving extreme weather

While AR5 concluded that human influence on the climate system is “clear”,  AR6 said there is “high confidence” that human activities are the main drivers of more frequent or intense heatwaves, glaciers melting, ocean warming and acidification. 

3. We know more about regional climate impacts

Climate models have improved since the last IPCC report, enabling scientists to analyse current and projected temperature and hydrological extremes at a regional level and understand what global climate impacts will look like in different parts of the world. 

4. We are closer to irreversible tipping points 

The report sounds the alarm about the possibility of irreversible changes to the climate, often called tipping points.

For example, forests could start to die as temperatures rise, becoming less able to absorb carbon dioxide, leading to further warming. Or Antarctic ice sheets could become destabilised, leading to rapid sea level rise.

5. Methane emissions are an important lever

For the first time, the IPCC has dedicated an entire chapter to “short-lived climate forcers” such as aerosols, particulate matter and methane. 

Methane levels are now higher than at any point in the past 800,000 years and are well above the safe limits outlined in AR5. Methane, which is released into the atmosphere from abandoned coal mines, farming and oil and gas operations, has a global warming impact 84 times higher than CO2 over a 20-year period. It is responsible for almost a quarter of global warming. 

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2021/08/09/five-takeaways-ipccs-2021-climate-science-report/

This Is Fine Dog GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The methane released from oil and gas is nothing compared to what's going to be released from underneath the antarctic.

I think we're **** tbh. We might not have reached the tipping point yet, but we're not reacting anywhere near quickly enough. We're trapped in a horrible game theory, where countries don't want to move too quickly, because it puts them at a serious economic disadvantage, so we're slowly marching into the abyss. but at least stock prices will keep going up until the bitter end.

• Like 4

it's hot in Maine today and it's only 7:25 AM. 

Really hot in Seattle though. My cousin has lived there for 30 years and he's driving to Maine next week. I bet he decides to move back east. **** sad, because the Pacific NW was always very temperate.

On 09/08/2021 at 12:56, Davkaus said:

so we're slowly marching into the abyss. but at least stock prices will keep going up until the bitter end.

I hope so. I really want that 911 Turbo before i'm too old. 

Â