Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

42 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Nah, if you look at the population curves we are close to starting a massive decline in population.  

On an planetary scale, in 100 years our population starts to decline, in 1000 years we have much less population and in 10,000 or 100,000 years we definitely have a much smaller population.

Is it not too late then?

The population growth is slowing. The biggest rise was from post WW1 for the 50-60 years after. The rise of the western developed world. Nowadays, its the developing nations growing massively - Ethiopia, Tanzania, Indonesia, Philippines and Nigeria especially. 

Russia and Nigeria had the same population in 2005. Today, Nigeria is ahead by about 70m people. By 2050 it could be over 250m ahead. 

Edited by Xela

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Is it not too late then?

The population growth is slowing. The biggest rise was from post WW1 for the 50-60 years after. The rise of the western developed world. Nowadays, its the developing nations growing massively - Ethiopia, Tanzania, Indonesia, Philippines and Nigeria especially. 

Russia and Nigeria had the same population in 2005. Today, Nigeria is ahead by about 70m people. By 2050 it could be over 250m ahead. 

It’s no coincidence those are also some of the poorest nations on the planet. 

If we actually want to slow population growth the only way to go about it is to get serious about reducing global poverty. 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 14:59, desensitized43 said:

Not a question of politeness.

3D7651AE-02A8-40D5-A00D-81FE77EA5453.thumb.png.95d5a319cf6f6b15810508a31347e3aa.png

There’s no one who can tell me that level of growth is sustainable.

I was being smartass... tis a trope as we must only talk about CO2 and evil meat eaters. Population is the driving factor but must not be discussed, least one wants to head into agenda21 land or other smelly places. Or... that is who you will be associated with for pointing out population being a problem.

It's obvious that the actual problem is the number of people and the standard of living that they will all, quite reasonable, expect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Is that you volunteering yourself and your family for the greater good? 

If the villa keep playing like they do then yes . On a serious note , as my original post was tongue is cheek ,  there’s probably some truth in it. Population growth is a major factor. The planet cannot sustain the predicted numbers. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

To save the planet we need to start culling the population it’s quite simple. We cull animal populations for similar reasons.

We kind of are already. Birth rates are already declining precipitously across the world. World population is still increasing of course but at some point it will level off.

Edited by legov

1 hour ago, legov said:

We kind of are already. Birth rates are already declining precipitously across the world. World population is still increasing of course but at some point it will level off.

Was talking to my missus about this in bed this morning. She was on about Elon Musk saying that the world is under populated. I’m not even sure he said that, but seems odd he would say that . 

Was talking to my missus about this in bed this morning. She was on about Elon Musk saying that the world is under populated. I’m not even sure he said that, but seems odd he would say that . 

I reckon Elon Musk is clearly some kind of weird alien life form slowly working towards humanities destruction so wouldn't surprise me if he did say it. 

3 hours ago, Xann said:

It's almost like we need some sort of collective responsibility.

Don’t we just? I mean the population level is a serious problem sure, but the suggestion that we need to focus on that to solve our issue now is a big distraction. There is a lot of things we could do NOW but people shy away from personal responsibility.

A conscious decision about the impact of our food and where it comes from is a good place to start. We sit down to do that three times a day at least and there’s nothing that comes closer to making a real difference to the predicament we are in. But it ain’t happening because quite frankly, most are just selfish to make a change to their eating habits.

He was claiming the decline in birth rates would be the biggest problem facing humanity in 20 years time.

He’s being alarmist but it is something humanity will eventually have to grapple with. The expectation of the UN is that in 2100 the world population would be 10.4bn and brith rates would be at 1.84 per woman. If that holds then in 2500 the world population is at 2bn and in 3000 it’s at 225m.

There’s quite a lot of economic problems that come from a shrinking population (mostly about ever smaller numbers of young people looking after larger numbers of elderly people) and it’s quite possible my kids will live to see 2100, so it’s not a completely abstract problem. At the moment the West deals with population decline via immigration but that’s less of an option if the population is declining everywhere.

Also, it’s quite striking how rapidly the population growth trends have been revised down in the past twenty years or so. It’s quite possible in another decade we might be thinking the world population will be peaking in 2050, etc.

But any problem that won’t wipe out humanity for millennia probably can’t be considered our biggest threat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I reckon Elon Musk is clearly some kind of weird alien life form slowly working towards humanities destruction so wouldn't surprise me if he did say it. 

I did say there’s probably a lizard under that skin 

1 hour ago, maltesemike said:

There is a lot of things we could do NOW but people shy away from personal responsibility.

It's too expensive to save the World.

Yet the economy is artificial. We make it up, and it's failing the vast majority.

It's suicidally stupid to proceed with the current model. Yet....?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

To save the planet we need to start culling the population it’s quite simple. We cull animal populations for similar reasons.

Ain't you eard of the starving millions, ain't you eard of contraception? You really want a program of sterilisation? Take control of the population boom!

Had to sleep with 2 bedroom windows open last night the bedroom was so hot.

Yesterday we were walking round a garden centre in short sleeve shirts with sunglasses on. 

It's pretty much November for gods sake. I remember Bonfire night celebrations as a kid wrapped up like The Michelin Man with the frozen grass crunching underfoot. 

The next 2 weeks looks like being pretty warm still taking us up to mid November. 

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the warmest year on record unless winter is unleashed in spectacular style late November and December. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â