Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm at the point where I know we can't fix it, but I might not be alive long enough to see it get really dramatic.

What can I do individually to accelerate climate change?

Accelerate? Looking forward that Mediterranean lifestyle? 😂

In all seriousness, there’s nothing we as individuals can do except common sense stuff. Use less leccy, drive electric if you can afford it, eat less or no beef if you can but above all else use your vote to remove governments and those in parties that aren’t taking it seriously.

• Like 1

Climate change will wipe out society. We in the west look at it and think- 'well some equatorial regions will become uninhabitable, some folk will die, but it won't be the whole of humanity, and we're well placed to look after ourselves.'. Wrong. The pressures of massive, massive dislocation of people, migrations of refugees on a scale never seen by humanity, and pressures on resources such as water WILL lead to worldwide collapses of societies and governments. When governments cannot control even the most basic of systems of food growth and distribution and the provision of water, the destruction and death caused by the lack of infrastructure will decimate the human race.  

Any other argument or over politics, war, religion, art, science, or anything else is meaningless. Those things being fought over (including Ukraine, Taiwan et al) will simply not exist. I ignore all this on a daily basis, because otherwise I would simply be unable to function.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Nothing lasts forever. The Earth has a sell by date on it unfortunately. It’s common sense that at some point it will become inhabitable. 

It's been inhabited by life for 3.5 Billion Years. Humanity will have made it uninhabitable in a matter of centuries. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You need to convince people that directly felt pain now is worth paying for benefits they'll never see, or to mitigate a thousand small cuts multiplying.

You won't.

I agree, but would point out that Climate Change is visible now. It's causing deaths from fire, flood, extreme weather now. It's causing droughts now. It has lead to the reduction in wildlife populations by 70% since 1970. 

People who don't see it purposely ignore it.

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I agree, but would point out that Climate Change is visible now. It's causing deaths from fire, flood, extreme weather now. It's causing droughts now. It has lead to the reduction in wildlife populations by 70% since 1970. 

People who don't see it purposely ignore it.

Oh I agree you can see it's effects.

What I don't agree with is simultaneously that a lot of people don't see it - be that because it doesn't pointedly affect them day to day in ways they can attribute to climate change, or they've other things to worry about - and those that do see and understand it are not prepared to sacrifice things for it for a variety of reasons.

If we're to fix this, the choice to help or hinder has to be removed, to force people to address it and assist in addressing it. But nobody is going to vote for that. And the developing world isn't going to look at the West and accept they can't race to develop at any cost.

We're ****.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Population is 8bn roughly today. Could be 10bn by 2050

Planet is fooked.  

Naughty boy. You are not supposed to point out the number of people being a problem. It's just not polite.

There will be a peak and a falling away again.

Humans stop reproducing in ‘replacement’ numbers once they reach a certain level of wealth and education. China’s population is falling rapidly for example, Japan is going backwards as well. The west is maintaining a steady state only through immigration. Its Africa and South Asia that is still on a strong growth curve, they too will start a population decline when they reach a certain level of wealth and education.

On the other hand a declining/increasingly elderly population brings its own challenges.

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There will be a peak and a falling away again.

Humans stop reproducing in ‘replacement’ numbers once they reach a certain level of wealth and education. China’s population is falling rapidly for example, Japan is going backwards as well. The west is maintaining a steady state only through immigration. Its Africa and South Asia that is still on a strong growth curve, they too will start a population decline when they reach a certain level of wealth and education.

On the other hand a declining/increasingly elderly population brings its own challenges.

That’s true but the modelling doesn’t show a peak until between 2080-2100 at around 10-11 billion and then a gradual fall. It’s a bit of an inexact science but from what I’ve read the level of population the planet can support sustainably is somewhere between 4-5 billion we won’t reach that sustainable level until we’ll into the next century.

Extinction rebellion and their ilk could stop being hypocrites and do their bit with a mass suicide and reduce some of the population growth … but  I think telling populations they can’t breed is not going to be possible , so that population curve will continue to climb

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

… but  I think telling populations they can’t breed is not going to be possible, so that population curve will continue to climb

Nah, if you look at the population curves we are close to starting a massive decline in population.  

On an planetary scale, in 100 years our population starts to decline, in 1000 years we have much less population and in 10,000 or 100,000 years we definitely have a much smaller population.

Â