Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not out of our control though. We can all do something (and before he pipes up I'm not commenting on what any poster here is or isn't doing for climate change)

It's a bit like saying you're not going to vote because it's out of your control. If everyone thought like that we'd be ****

Thats not what I meant. We can take personal responsibility but we dont set the policies. I feel very strongly about climate change, I have done for many years and i think its disgraceful that many people of a certain age couldnt give a **** about the future generations and the   way we are destroying the planet but you cant spend your life worrying about what you can do **** all about. 

• Like 1

Sure there's little things we can do.

For starters:

- Don't actively promote a "we're doomed and powerless so f**k it" attitude to those around you

- Don't read, listen to, or vote for people who are apologists / lobbyists for delaying action on climate

- Don't immediately condemn those who risk their liberty protesting climate action (XR, Insulate Britain, etc)

• Like 1

So what are the next logical steps on the visible effects of climate change on us?

Increased extreme weather events are I guess the first and most visible - I'd imagine we'll see some flooding in the UK at the end of the summer, but what else will act as a signpost to the trouble we're in? Will it be something like Bangladesh flooding and the huge refugee crisis that could kick off, or something with a big media impact like parts of Miami becoming uninhabitable? Are we looking to our food and energy bills as the most significant indicator over the next few years with shortages on some products?

What's first? What can we expect to see next?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63254878

Van Gogh's Sunflowers back on display after oil protesters threw soup on it

"One of Van Gogh's famous Sunflowers paintings has been cleaned and is back on display, after climate activists threw tins of what appeared to be tomato soup over it."

6cd83c67e02b0f7d7074074e7c2105b2.jpg?wid

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This kind of vandalism is completely counter productive to addressing the climate crisis and shows a profound ignorance of what art and Van Gogh in particular actually stand for. Whats next go and vandalize the cave paintings at lascaux to make a point? Pull down stonehenge?

These kind of antics are a distraction from the actual issue and I wish climate activists would reconsider this kind of protest.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

"One of Van Gogh's famous Sunflowers paintings has been cleaned and is back on display, after climate activists threw tins of what appeared to be tomato soup over it."

This kind of vandalism is completely counter productive to addressing the climate crisis and shows a profound ignorance of what art and Van Gogh in particular actually stand for. Whats next go and vandalize the cave paintings at lascaux to make a point? Pull down stonehenge?

These kind of antics are a distraction from the actual issue and I wish climate activists would reconsider this kind of protest.

Maybe they just prefer Pop-Art to Post-Impressionism?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Bloody Alaskan snow crabs ruining everyone's fun, they are so shellfish.

I'll get my coat

I'd normally click the laugh emoji but it's so **** depressing. 

Edited by maqroll

32 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd normally click the laugh emoji but it's so **** depressing. 

I hesitated when I hit enter as I feel quite helpless about it all. I drove past a new house build yesterday that is building on what was fields and woods, they've got giant boards up with the statement 'Creating green spaces for all to enjoy' - w4nkers. 

Edited by bielesibub
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/climate-crisis-un-pathway-1-5-c

Climate crisis: UN finds ‘no credible pathway to 1.5C in place’

Failure to cut carbon emissions means ‘rapid transformation of societies’ is only option to limit impacts, report says

———————————————

Many seem to be in uproar at recent demonstrations. But the science is damning and ecological collapse is not only inevitable, it’s already begun and is irreversible at this rate. I have nothing but admiration for these protestors and they will be vindicated, but not in the way they would like to be.

Edited by maltesemike
  • Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 21:28, ciggiesnbeer said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. They’ve tried all other avenues to raise awareness and nothing happens. The painting is protected by glass anyway, so it’s not damaged at all. Their point is that people are in uproar about what is effectively just a piece of glass, yet no one cares about the collapsing environment. The irony is real.

• Like 1

Just enjoy what you can for now because the planet for us is ****. It will survive after us and rebuild of course but for us we have caused it to turn into something that will wipe us out as a species and rightly so. We are a cancer to this planet. 

We vote people in that don’t give a shit about the planet. We ridicule those that do and as the poster above points out, more people in uproar over a **** painting instead of whats happening to the planet.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Just enjoy what you can for now because the planet for us is ****. It will survive after us and rebuild of course but for us we have caused it to turn into something that will wipe us out as a species and rightly so. We are a cancer to this planet. 

It won’t wipe us out. That’s massive hyperbole.

What it will do is render more of the equatorial and inland regions uninhabitable and result in sea level rise further reducing the remaining farmland available for human/animal use and a competition for the remaining resources, primarily that’ll be water, food, fuel and ‘living space’.

Current estimates are that we’re currently at a point where we need 1.6x the amount of resources the planet can provide. A correction in the numbers of humans is inevitable but humans as a species will still be around. The question is “what form does the population correction take?”  War? Disease? Starvation? Natural depopulation due to a lower birth rate over decades? It’s likely to be a combination of all of these.

What we need to be doing now is making best use of the arable land available to us (kill all the **** cows) to get the maximum amount of food, conserve fresh water, build wind and solar on a monumental scale to reduce our need for fossil fuels and help those parts of the world where it’s going to become a lot more difficult for humans to live to adapt too or we’re going to see migration on epic scales within our lifetime.

• Like 1

it's clear from that report that the majority of the global population wont care until it's too late

i'm just glad i don't have kids. it will (probably) not affect me too much but i feel for the younger generation. the 35 degree summer we just had will become a 40 degree summer. meat and dairy will probably be rationed too at some point...i can see that happening in my lifetime to be honest

• Like 1

Â