Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Thought the first ep of His Dark Materials was pretty good.

Think they managed to build a world already and the casting seem very good.

Makes such a difference when there is a solid source material to build from compared to series that are thought out season by season.

Thought the tempo was good, no need to rush things. I actually thought the film was OK while not great, then again I've not read the books.

Episode 3 of Watchmen was a bit of an improvement, mostly because of the Laurie Blake character who is a bit of a pistol. If perhaps not a faithful take.

I choosing to watch this show as it's own thing and only inspired by Watchmen now. It's simply not Watchmen but i guess I'll keep watching if they can keep improving.

This was a 6.5/10 maybe.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Goliath, season 3.

Not up to its usual standard but still watchable. Seems like it's trying to be Twin Peaks this time round.

Watched the first 2 episodes of season 3. So far so good.

Watching Jack Ryan S02. 6/10 (Some of it can be a 7 at a push,  some of it can easily be a 2).  

It's enjoyable at times but it's all over the place. 

It's a bit obvious and very clunky on the storyline.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
Added a warning on the ebb and flow of the overall series score. It can dip, with a whip.

Finished Mindhunter season one. Slow start but really good by the end of the season, now onto season two.

Also started All or Nothing: A season with the Arizona Cardinals, brilliant so far. Worth a watch even if you're not an NFL fan.

• Like 2

Absolutely loving Watchmen. Jean Smart was excellent as Laurie Blake. 

I don’t get the ‘it’s not watchmen’ thing? They’ve introduced 2 of the main characters from the novel and I suspect we’ll see Dr Manhattan and Nite Owl soon enough. I think they are building a really credible, alternate present so far,  with plenty of links back to the original - I’m not sure how much more watchmen it could be, without being a straight up re-make?  

Anyone watching S2 of Castle Rock?

Thought the beginning of S1 was pretty good but it dropped off towards the end to the point that I didn't bother finish it.

Not sure if I should bother with S2

15 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Started a new Netflix one called Marianne last night. French horror. Only watched one episode but it was really really creepy. Would recommend based on that one episode alone! 

Yeah I recommended this earlier in the thread. It's terrific :thumb:

• Like 1

Watched Daybreak & Season 2 of the end of the f***ing world in the past few days. If you liked s1 of EOTFW you will like s2 as it is essentially more of the same and with only 8 20ish minute episodes you can easily watch it all in an evening.

Daybreak was enjoyable enough but a rather stupid yet another end of the world zombie(ish) show based on comics/graphic novel, Lots of Ferris Bueller fourth wall/narrator stuff going on so if you don't like that you will hate it but it is an easy enough watch if you like the genre

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Watchmen is still... not Watchmen. If anything that last episode was a bit fan fic. That version of Laurie is not one I recognise at all. And the reveal was just... Ugh.

I've given up after that last episode. It's a pity, but I'll just adopt my S.Darko approach and pretend it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

See is possibly the most preposterous thing ever made.

The whole premise is ridiculous and the writing is abysmal.

It looks good, but nothing makes sense. It was either extremely rushed or the people who made it didn't care.

So everyone is blind, but they all have perfectly fitting, color coordinated clothes, hair and jewelry.

They use war paint on their faces, do haka's that no one can see, build the most amazing things. Or that everything takes place during the time the sun is up, except the sneak attack that happens at night when it's dark.

And so on and so on

It takes suspension of disbelief to a whole new level

The whole world and society makes no sense and "the queen" is the most poorly written and acted character of all times.

My favorite part was when she addressed her 100% blind subjects and opened her speech with "Behold..."

That's some quality writing for ya.  I

It kinda works as a comedy thou.

Edited by sne

Season 2 of Britannia, something I never expected to see the light of day, is out.

I'm learning so much, for one thing I didn't know that emperor Claudius had tourettes.

It's hilariously bad, still better than See thou.

I've no familiarity with the Watchmen source material at all, so I went in to it with no context, but a couple of episodes were enough. It compares very unfavourably as I've watched it right off the back of finishing The Boys. 

• Like 1

Â