Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

7 hours ago, sne said:

Didn't quite feel like Watchmen to me. But since it's 30 years after the events in the comic things will be different.

Wat? I thought this was a remake of the comic/film. Do you need to understand the source to watch this?

Very interesting (and promising) first episode of Watchmen. Agree with @sne that it doesn't feel like Watchmen yet, but I'd imagine more strands will start to pull together as the story progresses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coda said:

Wat? I thought this was a remake of the comic/film. Do you need to understand the source to watch this?

It's a sequel 'inspired' by the original comic (not the film, which is very slightly different in some ways). Basically the events of the comic have happened (in the 80s if it really sticks to things) and this is picking up the world as our would be today after that.

I haven't yet watched it, but it'll probably help to know a bit about the comic beforehand. The original plot is fairly easy to summarise (full spoilers for Watchmen comic/film follow. Seriously, the whole plot is in the spoiler. Don't read if you ever plan to read it or watch the film)

Spoiler

In an alternative take on the US where masked vigilantes exist and they won the Vietnam War, tensions are rising between the US and USSR as the US has the world's only true superhero - Dr Manhattan, a scientist given god like powers in an accident - who is so powerful he balances the power dynamic too heavily to the US. Meanwhile, masked vigilantes are outlawed and only a few remain active. One of them, Rorschach, becomes aware that old heroes are being killed and becomes convinced there's a conspiracy afoot. He tries to uncover this with the help of his former friends. Ultimately they discover that their former colleague, Adrian Veidt, the hero once known as Ozymandias who heads up a corporation and is known for his great intellect, has concluded that the only way to save the world from nuclear destruction is to unite it against another threat. His company creates a series of alien-esque bioengineered monsters which attack various cities worldwide causing mass devastation. Knowing his old friends would try to stop him, Veidt had set about killing them, and in the case of Dr Manhattan, manipulating his increasing distance from humanity to get rid of any chance of him being stopped. He succeeds and his friends accept his choice for the greater good, except Rorschach, who demands they kill him to stop him speaking out, which they do, not knowing that he has already sent his diaries to a conspiracy paper, on the final page.

The movie ditches the alien thing and replaces it with Dr Manhattan being the threat, using bombs made to look like he had attacked the earth.

I'm yet to be convinced that the Watchmen branding isn't just a skin on a different idea to sell the network on it in all honesty but we'll see.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now seen the first episode.

It's... Good. It's not Watchmen though. It has some nods and winks and there's images nicked from the comic everywhere, and it has touches from the world that was set up by the comic at the end, but... It's not Watchmen. Watchmen is a very specific thing to me, and nothing has ever quite got it since. Even the prequel comic anthology they did a few years back, even the good stuff in that, wasn't really the same. And this isn't either on the first episodes showing. 

It's not bad but it is very much doing the laying mysteries to keep you coming back rubbish Lindelof first got known for. You're walking into a world with no establishment, motivations, etc aren't at all clear, they just are. It's themes are slammed home immediately. It's well made, acted, has some nice design... But it didn't blow me away at all. Also thought the soundtrack didn't fit at all - I love Reznor and Ross in everything but it doesn't fit in at all.

On the face of it, I think my fears that this is a different idea with a Watchmen skin on it are sadly going to be correct. I'll keep watching the Watchmen, but it's not Watchmen.

So far.

• Like 1

started the new top boy

got german subtitles on for the missus, I need them for myself! she finds it hilarious how they all talk, its a good show, slow burner rather than unrealistic fast paced action all the time, not sure if that's thanks to stretching it out

also started a german show of a similar ilk called skylines, heavily focused on hip hop music, for me its shit, the focus on the music doesn't work because german hip hop is wank, knocked it on the head half way through episode 2

Edited by villa4europe

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

started the new top boy

got german subtitles on for the missus, I need them for myself! she finds it hilarious how they all talk, its a good show, slow burner rather than unrealistic fast paced action all the time, not sure if that's thanks to stretching it out

also started a german show of a similar ilk called skylines, heavily focused on hip hop music, for me its shit, the focus on the music doesn't work because german hip hop is wank, knocked it on the head half way through episode 2

Stick with Top Boy, the series bubbles along nicely and improves as it builds up. 

almost watched Skylines but heard the soundtrack on the trailer and chuckled so didn’t bother! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Stick with Top Boy, the series bubbles along nicely and improves as it builds up. 
almost watched Skylines but heard the soundtrack on the trailer and chuckled so didn’t bother! 

have you seen dogs of berlin? that might give you a fix for german gangster stuff, that's the opposite of what I said about top boy though, it feels far fetched but just about gets away with it

following recommendations on here I watch wu tang an American saga, that's very good, plus I started godfather of harlem which is solid if unspectacular 

back to too much TV

• Like 1

Thought the 1st episode of Watchmen was decent it certainly has potential. I’ve never read the comics or whatever and I didn’t really rate the film although it’s been years since I watched it so any changes or differences to the comic or film I didn’t notice

watched the first episode of Paul Rudd's show Living with Myself - seems like it could be fun - conceit being he ends up getting himself accidentally cloned. Also starring Aisling Bea - although the set up episode was more or less all Rudd tbf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

watched the first episode of Paul Rudd's show Living with Myself - seems like it could be fun - conceit being he ends up getting himself accidentally cloned. Also starring Aisling Bea - although the set up episode was more or less all Rudd tbf.

I’ve watched the first two episodes and it’s really good. 

Rudd is excellent in both roles! 

Watched the first 2 episodes of 3 part mini-series The War of the Worlds from BBC.

Will not bother with the final one I think.

It's not terrible but with an hour and a half run time it's a bit long to just sit through.

Here's hoping the other upcoming War of the Worlds series with Gabriel Byrne that starts this weekend is a bit better.

Production notes from watchmen

"this has **** all to do with watchmen" 

"you're right, let's throw in an out of place 3 second clip of Dr manhatten so that everyone gets it" 

Did nothing for me at all, forget wanting the next episode I checked with 20 mins to go how long was left, really flat and off, surprised by the story they want to tell and not convinced by the way they want to do it, action scenes weren't great, there was some cool stuff in there (the locked gun for example) but it's a bad start 

Agree with the final image, that and the eggs bit just seemed cheesy to me

I have to say 13 reasons why is a fantastic show. It really addresses issues of bullying depression suicide and gets its message across well.

Well done to the producers I think a show like this was needed. I have spoken to people who feel that show has helped them.

On 21/10/2019 at 19:44, Designer1 said:

Very interesting (and promising) first episode of Watchmen. Agree with @sne that it doesn't feel like Watchmen yet, but I'd imagine more strands will start to pull together as the story progresses.

I agree. 

I thought it was excellent, without being out and out amazing. 

I’m of the opinion that it will tie in more and more with the ‘original’ as it goes along, I don’t think it will just be limited to the nods and winks we saw in the first episode (although I admit, I am a sucker for nods and winks - like that shot at the end, which I personally liked)

I’m interested to find out if this world is based on the source material (the graphic novel), the film or a different interpretation of what happened. 

Solid start, and I’m still expecting it to be great. 

10 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I’m interested to find out if this world is based on the source material (the graphic novel), the film or a different interpretation of what happened. 

The graphic novel iirc - hence the raining squid scene.

• Thanks 1

Â