Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

The series isn't a patch on the original story. It has next to nothing to do with it, it's a bizarre film on top of a completely different thing written and structured in a really annoying way. I kinda don't like it at all and wish they'd not nicked the name.

I'd recommend reading the graphic novel. And even watching the film, which is basically a nuts and bolts direct adaptation with a change to the ending to make it less bizarre. Watch it knowing it's a deconstruction of various superhero tropes against a Cold War background and it's a good piece of work.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

will it appear on Netflix now like the previous seasons?

No. Channel 4 has the exclusive rights in the UK.

And they've decided to take the rights to a show that's incredibly popular with younger, tech-savvy demographics, and hold it back by 2 months. Good job, dickheads.

Image result for it's a pirates life for me gif

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

Same with "The end of the **** world", season 2 is on Netflix everywhere apart from the UK, where it will be released weekly on channel 4.

Who's going to bother waiting? I've watched it and it's a bit "meh" tbh. Should have left it after S1 finished. 

• Like 1

Finished "The Affair" last night, pretty happy with the way they ended it.

Also finished "Suits", in what was a shitty last season the last two episodes weren't too bad. It was always better with Harvey & Mike in tandem.

I'll miss this though...

spacer.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Same with "The end of the **** world", season 2 is on Netflix everywhere apart from the UK, where it will be released weekly on channel 4.

Who's going to bother waiting? I've watched it and it's a bit "meh" tbh. Should have left it after S1 finished. 

Not the case, it was released nightly last week. I quite enjoyed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Finished "The Affair" last night, pretty happy with the way they ended it.

Also finished "Suits", in what was a shitty last season the last two episodes weren't too bad. It was always better with Harvey & Mike in tandem.

I'll miss this though...

spacer.png

Aah the delightful Donna Specter.

Final season was like they had rushed the storyline.

Channel 4 have seen the error of their ways

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/11/rick-morty-season-4-uk-release-date-moved-next-week-fan-demand-11079687/

Channel 4 have confirmed that after public pressure to see the new series sooner rather than later, the new episodes will debut on 20 November on E4. That’s only nine days away!

Confirming the news, Ian Katz, Director of Programmes at Channel 4 said: ‘When we announced we would be airing Rick and Morty Series 4 on free to air TV in January we thought fans would be delighted. ‘Instead they told us – in their droves – that it wasn’t nearly soon enough, so we’ve listened and brought forward the UK premiere to November 20th on E4 and All 4. Enjoy!’

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Channel create a false outrage in order to drum up marketing for them acquiring the rights??? 

It’s possible I suppose, although R&M has built a pretty big cult following, so I can’t imagine it would do much to attract ‘new’ viewers? 

I don’t think the TV execs are that clever tbh and it was more of a backlash than a buzz. I think they have realised most people won’t wait and their viewing figures would most likely be a lot worse than expected had they stuck to a Jan release. 

I wonder if Disney+ will see the light? 🤔

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It’s possible I suppose, although R&M has built a pretty big cult following, so I can’t imagine it would do much to attract ‘new’ viewers? 

I don’t think the TV execs are that clever tbh and it was more of a backlash than a buzz. I think they have realised most people won’t wait and their viewing figures would most likely be a lot worse than expected had they stuck to a Jan release. 

I wonder if Disney+ will see the light? 🤔

I'm lead to believe the Disney+ delay is more to do with licensing deals. They have UK agreements in place (Netflix etc) and are just letting them run out. So it's unlikely they'll push up a release like C4 have with R+M.

Accepting that Watchmen isn't Watchmen, this week's episode was better.

But then it ruined it with more **** mystery box shit.

If this show had a different skin on it, and was structured differently to get rid of the mystery box rubbish, it might be a pretty good show. But it's got the Watchmen veneer and it's written maddeningly, so it's hampered across the board.

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm lead to believe the Disney+ delay is more to do with licensing deals. They have UK agreements in place (Netflix etc) and are just letting them run out. So it's unlikely they'll push up a release like C4 have with R+M.

I just think they should have launched in the UK at the same time, even if it was just the flipping Mandalorian and nothing else. I don’t see why they couldn’t have done it for 1/2 price or something until the UK is properly up and running? 

I still say it’s a daft thing to do in the digital age we live in and the piracy numbers will be through the roof. 

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Accepting that Watchmen isn't Watchmen, this week's episode was better.

But then it ruined it with more **** mystery box shit.

If this show had a different skin on it, and was structured differently to get rid of the mystery box rubbish, it might be a pretty good show. But it's got the Watchmen veneer and it's written maddeningly, so it's hampered across the board.

Obviously I disagree, but on the mystery box stuff - did you watch The Leftovers? 

S1 of that was very similar at the start. You got the main gist then things would be introduced with seemingly no rhyme or reason, then things would link back later on etc. 

That show was honestly one of my favourites of the last few years, it was bloody brilliant and Watchmen has a similar feel to it so far. 

It’s a shame you and @Designer1 don’t like it, I think it’s been absolutely ace so far. Each to their own I guess. 

9 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Obviously I disagree, but on the mystery box stuff - did you watch The Leftovers? 

S1 of that was very similar at the start. You got the main gist then things would be introduced with seemingly no rhyme or reason, then things would link back later on etc. 

That show was honestly one of my favourites of the last few years, it was bloody brilliant and Watchmen has a similar feel to it so far. 

It’s a shame you and @Designer1 don’t like it, I think it’s been absolutely ace so far. Each to their own I guess. 

Nope.

I don't like that kind of writing. It's spectacularly cynical and manufactured. It's basically taking an overall story and then chopping it up so that you drop in completely random stuff and coerce the viewer to keep watching to get the answers down the line. You can feel the cue cards of plot points and exposition scenes being rearranged on a table in a office somewhere.

I really, really don't like Lindelof's style.

Then positing it as a sequel to a masterpiece when it really doesn't have much of anything to do with it and is instead using it's reputation to ride on coattails but also seemingly to have a bit of a feel of being 'better' than the 'source' as well... Nah.

There's enough about it I like, I like some of the look of it and a few of the performances, and Looking Glass is a character that feels like is actually from the same world as Watchmen, and I like the soundtrack even if I feel it doesn't often fit. But I hate the structure of it, I hate the skank connections to the original work (and even some of those are in name only - that version of Laurie is simply not Laurie), and the mystery box stuff can get to ****.

• Like 1

Â