Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I got around to watching Departure at long last , it passed the i’ll watch one more episode and go to bed oh ok one more episode then bed test even if some of the plot was a bit far fetched ... rumours of a season 2 ... let’s hope so

Blasting through the final season of The Man In The High Castle and it's really quite good.

3 eps to go, hopefully they manage to tie it all together.

Spoiler

They've actually managed to make the oh so trendy "multiverse" thingy work in this story.  I usually hate mutliverse/timetravel stuff since it's always so poorly done.

I made it half way through the recap at the start realised I couldn't remember half of it, questioned whether or not I actually enjoyed it and then decided not to bother

ive also slowly moved away from goliath because I weren't too fussed with season 3

Started on mini-series The Capture, so far it's OK.

Bit annoying they keep saying "Mam" constantly, like in every sentence, constantly, all the time.

But i guess this is correct English cop lingo, James Bond uses it in his movies. If not quite as excessive.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Just finished S3 of The Crown. Rather good, I thought - nice balance between hagiography and hatchet job. The guy who played Harold Wilson was outstanding. 

Must admit I thought two things watching it, well three things.

1) Like you say the dude playing Wilson was class

2) All other actors were mediocre compared to the previous serious

3) I miss Claire Foy

What is the Crown like to watch? I know it has good reviews, but for some reason I've just instinctively taken against it. I'm not a rabid anti-monarchist, though they are an anachronism obviously, but I dunno. I take it it's more than just privileged posh farts conversing with each other?

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

What is the Crown like to watch? I know it has good reviews, but for some reason I've just instinctively taken against it. I'm not a rabid anti-monarchist, though they are an anachronism obviously, but I dunno. I take it it's more than just privileged posh farts conversing with each other?

It basically takes major moments in her reign that she was involved in and dramatises them as part of a wider plot or theme - so the first 2 series basically dealt with her early reign and the political crises of that time against a backdrop of Prince Philip being a clearing in the woods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Rabid republicans would probably hate it, for 'humanising' the RF and eliciting our sympathy. Rabid monarchists would hate it for showing their character flaws and questionable behaviour. So they probably got it about right for what is, let's not forget, fictionalised drama rather than documentary. I enjoyed it (probably helped that I lived through the era covered!) 

Currently going through Better call Saul on Netflix

Spin off prequel from Breaking Bad which i've just finished watching and thought it was great.

I'm finding it enjoyable but its yet to reach the heights of BB.

53 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Currently going through Better call Saul on Netflix

Spin off prequel from Breaking Bad which i've just finished watching and thought it was great.

I'm finding it enjoyable but its yet to reach the heights of BB.

I think everyone knows it’s a spin-off :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Enjoying Ken Burns Country Music series on BBC4. Really well researched.

Yeah. As always with Burns, the photo researchers have done a great job. 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 10:53, Chindie said:

It basically takes major moments in her reign that she was involved in and dramatises them as part of a wider plot or theme - so the first 2 series basically dealt with her early reign and the political crises of that time against a backdrop of Prince Philip being a clearing in the woods.

We actually went back to the second series of the Crown last night as both of us had completely forgotten it.

It highlighted one of the issues the series has which I can only imagine the third series continues. That problem is trying to make it look like the Royals are actually important. You'll lose count of the scenes of the Queen at a desk pouring over a dispatch box of indeterminate papers like she has much choice but to sign them.

Similarly you get daft scenes such as where Anthony Eden visits her during the Suez Crisis to explain that he expects the country to go to war. The Queen then reveals she is aware there may have been an agreement to conflict already under false pretences and Eden confesses the plan, which he ends with a forceful question of whether he has the Crown's support. The Queen then stares at him, conflicted, before saying of course, and the government always will. The problem with this scene is the drama is completely artificial. If that conversation took place as the show had it, the Queen's response is completely without drama because she is an impotent force - it doesn't really matter what her thoughts are, she's obliged to agree.

It's a problem the entire show has. She's ultimately an unimportant figure whose only use to the political wrangling the show portrays is that she often had a privileged view of it. Outside of that is a family drama crashing from one scandal to another, with great performances and tons of money thrown at it.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

We actually went back to the second series of the Crown last night as both of us had completely forgotten it.

It highlighted one of the issues the series has which I can only imagine the third series continues. That problem is trying to make it look like the Royals are actually important. You'll lose count of the scenes of the Queen at a desk pouring over a dispatch box of indeterminate papers like she has much choice but to sign them.

Similarly you get daft scenes such as where Anthony Eden visits her during the Suez Crisis to explain that he expects the country to go to war. The Queen then reveals she is aware there may have been an agreement to conflict already under false pretences and Eden confesses the plan, which he ends with a forceful question of whether he has the Crown's support. The Queen then stares at him, conflicted, before saying of course, and the government always will. The problem with this scene is the drama is completely artificial. If that conversation took place as the show had it, the Queen's response is completely without drama because she is an impotent force - it doesn't really matter what her thoughts are, she's obliged to agree.

It's a problem the entire show has. She's ultimately an unimportant figure whose only use to the political wrangling the show portrays is that she often had a privileged view of it. Outside of that is a family drama crashing from one scandal to another, with great performances and tons of money thrown at it.

Oh, it's a soap opera, nothing more, nothing less. Very successfully selling to middle-aged women from the USA and indeed around the world - the Downton Abbey audience. Social media is full of them, now somewhat bewildered by references to things they've never heard of, such as Aberfan, Welsh nationalism, Harold Wilson, miners' strikes, etc., all impatient to get back to the romances and costumes. 

Edited by mjmooney

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, it's a soap opera, nothing more, nothing less. Very successfully selling to middle-aged women from the USA and indeed around the world - the Downton Abbey audience. Social media is full of them, now somewhat bewildered by references to things they've never heard of, such as Aberafan, Welsh nationalism, Harold Wilson, miners' strikes, etc., all impatient to get back to the romances and costumes. 

I'm quite interested in seeing the third series mostly because that period of British politics is fascinating. Wilson, and a Labour government after a parade of toffs, Britain coming to terms with a changed world where it isn't an eminent power and where society is changing... Quite what the Royals add to that I dunno.

But series 2 first. More of the Duke of Edinburgh being a spoilt dickhead.

Edited by Chindie

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Finished Giri/Haji

Something a little bit different and really enjoyed it. Thought the smaller characters, such as Rodney, Abbott and latterly Roy were really well done and offered a little light relief. 

Definitely. I thought it was set up a bit like a Shakespearean tragedy, with its associated comedy characters. Not sure I'd include Rodney among them, he actually had some depth, but Abbott was pure cartoon character. 

Not sure about the 'ballet' scene, though. 

• Like 1

Â