Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Finished watching Tokyo Vampire Hotel and I ended up thinking that it was very good, hard to describe but somehow over the top and silly, but also quite profound and moving at the same time. As said before more like an episodic film than a traditional TV series, not for everyone but something I could imagine becoming a cult favorite in the future. Someone posted Alexander Berlinplatz on youtube, so thinking of watching that.

• Like 1

Great start to the new season of Ray Donovan.

Spoiler

The bit near the start when he bashes that bloke, threatens to break his arms, then goes back and says sorry “I didn’t handle that well” had me creasing 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 22:33, Chindie said:

Watched His Dark Materials.

I never read the series. I know they're beloved, I know they carry a little more literary cache than its peers, I know it has obvious religious criticism tones.

I kinda didn't get it.

It suffers from a couple of issues that fantasy, and especially YA tinged fantasy, struggles with. Firstly, you don't settle into the world. Where a book can slowly layer the details of it's world, a TV series hurls you into it and asks you to swim. In HDM we get a short opening scene setting crawl, and that's kinda it. We, mid episode, get an extended revelation scene whose details are so unknown that the viewer walks away with only the broadest idea of things - there's a blasphemous theory. Shortly after this we get a scene with a completely different set of characters who we know basically nothing about. I'm not even sure what they're called, and they use titles that I didn't get.

The other thing, and this is more of a minor one perhaps, is the tropey stuff. The soul as a visible entity is a fine enough idea but having them be animals is a bit... ugh. I will be surprised if the forms of these soul animals don't say something of their true nature. And then it's the naming things that's a bit cringey. Apparently something that is a big deal in this world is called Dust. A gang that seem to be abducting kids are called Gobblers. It's a bit... silly. Hard to take seriously. 

Otherwise it's well made, nicely shot, a cracking cast (bonus points for James Cosmo)... It's intriguing enough but I don't have that connection to it to love it, and it kinda has the hallmarks of fantasy I dislike.

I did read the books, and I agree with this entirely. I struggled to get through episode one and won't bother with the rest. It's a series best left in my childhood, I think, it all feels very silly revisiting it now

Well this episode of Watchmen was pretty much pure backstory and flashbacks and if you like me are not invested enough in the characters of the TV-show then it get's pretty boring.

Shame since the ep before was a clear step up.

Series is still a meh for me.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Well this episode of Watchmen was pretty much pure backstory and flashbacks and if you like me are not invested enough in the characters of the TV-show then it get's pretty boring.

Shame since the ep before was a clear step up.

Series is still a meh for me.

I watched the first episode last night after reading all the comments on here over the last few weeks.

Still don't know what to make of it. Not sure I can be arsed to watch the rest of the season.

On 20/11/2019 at 22:40, Chindie said:

The BBC continues to butcher it's Discworld adaptation, the Watch. More weird casting choices, more completely changing characters for... no reason, more completely misunderstanding characters.

Sigh. All I want is a faithful adaptation of the books, with a decent budget. Apparently this isn't allowed.

Leaked still?

Relaterad bild

On 24/11/2019 at 23:27, villakram said:

True Detective, season II.

Not anywhere near as fresh as the first season, but tells an interesting self contained tale. Worth ~8hrs of ones time.

3 is much better although still short on the 1st season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Just started Gotham, 2 episodes in and it seems harmless fun. I have Pennyworth ready to watch too but not heard much about it. Can anyone here recommend it?

Gotham is a bit of a roller coaster. First season is a bit meh but it definitely steps it up a level or two in the next couple of seasons. I'm a pretty big Batman fan, but I have no enthusiasm to watch Pennyworth. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Just started Gotham, 2 episodes in and it seems harmless fun. I have Pennyworth ready to watch too but not heard much about it. Can anyone here recommend it?

Get past season 1 of Gotham and it's damn good fun and incredibly entertaining. 

Â