Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Nope.

I don't like that kind of writing. It's spectacularly cynical and manufactured. It's basically taking an overall story and then chopping it up so that you drop in completely random stuff and coerce the viewer to keep watching to get the answers down the line. You can feel the cue cards of plot points and exposition scenes being rearranged on a table in a office somewhere.

I really, really don't like Lindelof's style.

Then positing it as a sequel to a masterpiece when it really doesn't have much of anything to do with it and is instead using it's reputation to ride on coattails but also seemingly to have a bit of a feel of being 'better' than the 'source' as well... Nah.

There's enough about it I like, I like some of the look of it and a few of the performances, and Looking Glass is a character that feels like is actually from the same world as Watchmen, and I like the soundtrack even if I feel it doesn't often fit. But I hate the structure of it, I hate the skank connections to the original work (and even some of those are in name only - that version of Laurie is simply not Laurie), and the mystery box stuff can get to ****.

In fairness to Lindelof he only used that technique in S1 of The Leftovers, S2/3 were a linear narrative. If he follows a similar pattern with Watchmen, I’ll be well chuffed. 

I’m just in a totally different place to you on the rest of it - I think it’s great and it gives me the Watchmen feels. 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Spamming the thread, but I’m liking this His Dark Materials adaptation too, it’s started really well imo.

It's been pretty much perfection.

I didn't even mind them making quite a large change in the second episode.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

In fairness to Lindelof he only used that technique in S1 of The Leftovers, S2/3 were a linear narrative. If he follows a similar pattern with Watchmen, I’ll be well chuffed. 

I’m just in a totally different place to you on the rest of it - I think it’s great and it gives me the Watchmen feels. 

I'm genuinely at a loss how it feels like Watchmen. It's nothing like the original. The only similarity is using a superhero story to poke political ideas, normal people in costumes being heroes (and even that is closer to where Watchmen's story begins - cops in masks) and some names. Otherwise it has none of what made the original's unique tone - a murder mystery that develops into a greater mystery, a deconstruction of superhero tropes, a mockery of various heroes, political questioning, all against a backdrop of impending doom.

Watched His Dark Materials.

I never read the series. I know they're beloved, I know they carry a little more literary cache than its peers, I know it has obvious religious criticism tones.

I kinda didn't get it.

It suffers from a couple of issues that fantasy, and especially YA tinged fantasy, struggles with. Firstly, you don't settle into the world. Where a book can slowly layer the details of it's world, a TV series hurls you into it and asks you to swim. In HDM we get a short opening scene setting crawl, and that's kinda it. We, mid episode, get an extended revelation scene whose details are so unknown that the viewer walks away with only the broadest idea of things - there's a blasphemous theory. Shortly after this we get a scene with a completely different set of characters who we know basically nothing about. I'm not even sure what they're called, and they use titles that I didn't get.

The other thing, and this is more of a minor one perhaps, is the tropey stuff. The soul as a visible entity is a fine enough idea but having them be animals is a bit... ugh. I will be surprised if the forms of these soul animals don't say something of their true nature. And then it's the naming things that's a bit cringey. Apparently something that is a big deal in this world is called Dust. A gang that seem to be abducting kids are called Gobblers. It's a bit... silly. Hard to take seriously. 

Otherwise it's well made, nicely shot, a cracking cast (bonus points for James Cosmo)... It's intriguing enough but I don't have that connection to it to love it, and it kinda has the hallmarks of fantasy I dislike.

Silicon Valley episode 2 was great, back to form for me. First episode was ok but this one was up there for laughs (mainly Gilfoyle based of course).

The Gavin Belson stuff isn't quite hitting for me although its funny, he's gone from a hardened business man to something of a caricature over the course of the show, but its still great on the whole.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals was fantastic, couldn't stop watching it last week and over the weekend.

Now onto All or Nothing: A Season with the Los Angeles Rams which is equally as good!

I think all of them are great tbh even when it came round to the panthers who to me are a bit of a nothing team I still really enjoyed it, I like how each one of them tweaks the format slightly and gives you a different kind of look (from memory the cardinals owner features heavily in series 1, the rams owner doesn't) jerry world in series 3 is incredible too

Im not sure how or why the NFL are capable of putting together such great tv series, the documentary stuff is awesome too (Americas game, a football life) and then sky with the PL is pretty shit, the production value simply isn't there (compare Americas game to time of our lives or the PL years or a football life to that history's best player series sky did a few years back) I think the man city all or nothing shows it can be done but I also think football would require an interesting team and not a random one, I will happily watch the panthers but would I watch all or nothing Bournemouth? probably not

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm genuinely at a loss how it feels like Watchmen. It's nothing like the original. The only similarity is using a superhero story to poke political ideas, normal people in costumes being heroes (and even that is closer to where Watchmen's story begins - cops in masks) and some names. Otherwise it has none of what made the original's unique tone - a murder mystery that develops into a greater mystery, a deconstruction of superhero tropes, a mockery of various heroes, political questioning, all against a backdrop of impending doom.

I can’t really explain why it feels like Watchmen to me, it just does. 

It feels credible, it looks and feels like what I would expect the future to be, 30 odd years after the original - again I can’t quite articulate why, but for me it just works. 

I like the new characters and I like the way we the story is being told. 

Same with Laurie - I can totally see that she’d end up like that 30 years later and I think her character is excellent in it so far. 

I’m not 100% sold on Jeremy Irons’ take on Ozymandis just yet, but I’ve still enjoyed his performance. 

I just think it’s ace and it fits my vision of that future world 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Silicon Valley episode 2 was great, back to form for me. First episode was ok but this one was up there for laughs (mainly Gilfoyle based of course).

The Gavin Belson stuff isn't quite hitting for me although its funny, he's gone from a hardened business man to something of a caricature over the course of the show, but its still great on the whole.

This weeks was very funny. 

The scenes with Jian Yang were the highlight for me, he’s been my favourite character since Erlich left and I start laughing before he even says anything! 

I’m going to be gutted when this ends, it’s absolutely top drawer. 

• Like 4

As we are waiting for shows to finish before we start watching them, after a scour of Netflix for an interim watch we plumped for Gotham.

I'm sure I've seen some of you lot rate it...I'm not a fan of comic book stuff in general but the first two episodes have got me suitably interested.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think all of them are great tbh even when it came round to the panthers who to me are a bit of a nothing team I still really enjoyed it, I like how each one of them tweaks the format slightly and gives you a different kind of look (from memory the cardinals owner features heavily in series 1, the rams owner doesn't) jerry world in series 3 is incredible too

Im not sure how or why the NFL are capable of putting together such great tv series, the documentary stuff is awesome too (Americas game, a football life) and then sky with the PL is pretty shit, the production value simply isn't there (compare Americas game to time of our lives or the PL years or a football life to that history's best player series sky did a few years back) I think the man city all or nothing shows it can be done but I also think football would require an interesting team and not a random one, I will happily watch the panthers but would I watch all or nothing Bournemouth? probably not

:crylaugh:

Aren't you a fan of theirs @Milfner

Edited by rjw63

28 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

As we are waiting for shows to finish before we start watching them, after a scour of Netflix for an interim watch we plumped for Gotham.

I'm sure I've seen some of you lot rate it...I'm not a fan of comic book stuff in general but the first two episodes have got me suitably interested.

I didn't rate the first series too much but I was told to stick with it and I'm glad I did. Season 3 and 4 in particular were brilliant and its worth watching for Robin Lord Taylor alone.

• Like 2

Enjoying Watchmen tbf I have never read the comics or graphic novel’s or whatever the nerds call them so couldn’t careless/don’t notice whether or not it feels like Watchmen.

His dark materials has been good but I must admit I am completely confused at times having never read the books.

The new Rick & Morty was pretty dam good not the best episode ever but I am just so glad it’s finally back on!!

13 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

His dark materials has been good but I must admit I am completely confused at times having never read the books.

To yourself and others who have said similar (@Chindie being one I think), I'd say the confusion fits pretty well with how I remember feeling when reading the book.

That said, they have introduced elements of the magisterium/dust that took much longer to come to light in the books. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this over the series and if they still manage to surprise people.

So far I think they've done a great job at pitching it as a series that the whole family can enjoy.

One thing I will say, and this goes for the books too, is stop going on about f***ing Roger, we get it...

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 2

Watched episode 1 of The Mandalorian. Really enjoyed it, though it was over far too quickly. Nice twist/reveal at the end. Good to see the classic swipes back, had a Rogue One feel, loved that he didn't take his helmet off and the great scene with IG-11.

Bring on episode 2!

Â