Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

As true now as it was when Gaiman wrote it.

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly George is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next.

https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Yes, it was 12 years ago, but the point stands.

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

As true now as it was when Gaiman wrote it.

https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Yes, it was 12 years ago, but the point stands.

I get he's not a slave and has other things to work on but I'm not so sure some of Gaiman's points do stand (he's one of my favourite authors though). When you buy part of a series there is an expectation (or implied term) that the rest of the series will at some point become available. 

How many people wouldn't have bought the first few books if they knew they'd never get the end of the story? It's like watching a the early Marvel films but knowing they'd never be an Avengers or Endgame movie, paying for New Hope knowing they'd be no Return of the Jedi or reading the Fellowship knowing they'd be no Return of the King. 

Or another way to look at it is would anyone pay for a copy of American God's if they knew the last two chapters weren't included? 

He wouldn't be as rich and famous today and have the chance to do the side projects if GoTs wasn't as popular as a book and then TV series, which I don't think it would be if people knew he'd never finish it. Especially if they knew the TV ending had been phoned in and the books were people's hopes of fixing that. 

• Like 1

So I saw that season 2 of See was out so even thou I thought season 1 was awful I decided to see if See seasons 2 was any better. Turned it off after 30 minutes or so.

I will not be sticking around to see where season 2 of See goes. Utterly ridiculous premise that they fail to make believable. Garbage.

On 04/09/2021 at 11:12, sne said:

So I saw that season 2 of See was out so even thou I thought season 1 was awful I decided to see if See seasons 2 was any better. Turned it off after 30 minutes or so.

I will not be sticking around to see where season 2 of See goes. Utterly ridiculous premise that they fail to make believable. Garbage.

I am pretty much the same although I did finish the episode. I can't even remember what happened in season one so I don't know why I even bothered trying season 2. It had the potential to be so much better than it is 

• Like 1

After all the hype and a ton of my friends practically begging me lol to watch it, I started Vikings yesterday and I must say I wish I had started it way sooner. Only 3 episodes in but I am hooked and can't wait to see where it goes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

After all the hype and a ton of my friends practically begging me lol to watch it, I started Vikings yesterday and I must say I wish I had started it way sooner. Only 3 episodes in but I am hooked and can't wait to see where it goes.

I'm a little jealous. I have 5 or 6 episodes left and I don't want it to end.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 13:00, TheMelvillan said:

The BBC have put both series of 15 Storeys High on iplayer after Sean Lock's sad passing.

I would highly recommend it. It is dark, strange, maudlin and very funny. Lots of familiar faces in little cameo roles. Written by and starring Lock who is very funny in an understated way

Confused, I can't see this on my iPlayer.  Did they only put it on for a couple of days?

On 09/08/2021 at 16:38, PieFacE said:

Anyone watched 'Power'?. Just finished episode 1 and am unsure. 

I managed to get through the first season and didn't see what the fuss was about.

Horiffic script and acting

• Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 12:30, Chindie said:

It's this, and more so. The whole thing suddenly becomes half arsed, you can feel it become rushed and theres a palpable sense of the production just going 'whats the quickest way we can finish this?'. Where previously theres nuance and characters doing things that make sense, and long running conflicts that literally have been seasons in the making, it pivots to a simple formula - this happens because the plot needs it to to get to the end as fast as possible. Characters it spends literally years developing, suddenly become completely different characters overnight, with sledgehammer like subtlety. Conflicts that have run from literally the first scenes just end perfunctorily in an episode. It goes from something that, for all the tits and violence, had brains behind it, to completely stupid with the belief you won't notice if they chuck enough CGI at it. But you do notice it, because the CGI was set dressing, the thing that sold the whole show was it's characters and it's intrigue, and that goes in the bin in the stupidest way possible.

Because all that takes time and effort, and nobody in the production wanted to spend that time and effort any more.

Rushed is exactly the word for it.

There are things that happen in one episode in the final season that previous seasons would have stretched out to a full season. And I mean that in a good way

eg

Spoiler

Danaerys going mad and the end to the white walker storyline

The fact that the entire show built towards a climax of one of those storylines and then it was over in a flash is just inexcusable

• Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 22:27, Chindie said:

Grand Designs this week is maddening. Monstrosity built by massive, massive clearing in the woods who has the same concept of money as Citeh do in the football world.

Watched this last night, the guy was a total prick. Built it because he had nothing better to do, and had little to no interest in it until the work had ground to a halt. Looked like a shite modernist version of Stone Henge, and it was just totally soulless on the inside.

£125k on a kitchen too. **** words removed. 

On 03/09/2021 at 05:04, Rodders said:

I watched GoT for the first time last year so perhaps I benefited from not being invested in the same way as if I'd watched it as it was going on week by week, but I didn't notice the drop off too much really. I found the cult storyline a bit annoying and the younger daughter's storyline with the religious weirdos all a bit odd, but it wasn't too bad. Even season 8 being a shambles wasn't that much of a shambles and still had it's moments despite being an incoherent mess with that baffling odd final episode.

Agreed, the cult and the face swapping guy storylines were tedious. The romance between the Worm and whats her name was annoying too. In fact, I could take or leave most of  the Essos plot lines. 

Â