Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Waaaaaaay late to the party, but I have finally caught up with all of Black Mirror.

Can’t add much to the conversation that hasn’t already been discussed. The pick of the Channel 4 episodes are (from memory) The Entire History of You, Be Right Back, White Bear, White Christmas. The pick of the Netflix episodes are Shut Up and Dance, San Junipero, Hated in the Nation, Hang the DJ. I don’t think there’s any real surprises in those choices.

I was apprehensive about the later ones from what I read going in, particularly the fifth season. But honestly I don’t think I disliked a single episode. Some are more routine than others, a bit perfunctory by the show’s high standards. Some I wanted to dig further into the premise. But they’re all entertaining in their way, something to like about each one.

Since going over to Netflix, there’s definitely more episodes that end positively, even if they’re occasionally Pyrrhic victories. I don’t know if that’s Netflix influenced or if Brooker’s world view has slightly softened.

I would mention Bandersnatch but I’m aware there was a separate thread for that so I’m choosing the option not to comment about it in here. At least I think I’m the one choosing.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

Watched the first 3 episodes of Chapelwaite starring Adrien Brody and it's actually kinda promising. Drama/horror story set in 1850 Maine based on a Stephen King short story Jerusalem's Lot. 

It's a slow burn eerie kinda vibe rather than any jump scares and the settings and themes are familiar but done well.

Should add that if you have an issue with seeing worms this one probably isn't for you. 

• Thanks 1

Watched the first three episodes of Nine Perfect Strangers on Prime this weekend. Really good cast, some good laughs and a real sense of foreboding. I hope it doesn’t end up disappointing because so far it’s been excellent. 

Edited by choffer

Finished watching the episodes released so far for The North Water and have to say one of the best shows I have watched this year and eager to see more.

Colin Farrell is exceptional,good action and drama,and some distinct Moby Dick vibes.

Don't know if available in UK yet? If not I highly recommend it when it is.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Finished watching the episodes released so far for The North Water and have to say one of the best shows I have watched this year and eager to see more.

Colin Farrell is exceptional,good action and drama,and some distinct Moby Dick vibes.

Don't know if available in UK yet? If not I highly recommend it when it is.

Cheers biggy, that sounds right up my street. 

Not available here but I'll find a way.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 23:02, Mark Albrighton said:

Waaaaaaay late to the party, but I have finally caught up with all of Black Mirror.

Can’t add much to the conversation that hasn’t already been discussed. The pick of the Channel 4 episodes are (from memory) The Entire History of You, Be Right Back, White Bear, White Christmas. The pick of the Netflix episodes are Shut Up and Dance, San Junipero, Hated in the Nation, Hang the DJ. I don’t think there’s any real surprises in those choices.

I was apprehensive about the later ones from what I read going in, particularly the fifth season. But honestly I don’t think I disliked a single episode. Some are more routine than others, a bit perfunctory by the show’s high standards. Some I wanted to dig further into the premise. But they’re all entertaining in their way, something to like about each one.

Since going over to Netflix, there’s definitely more episodes that end positively, even if they’re occasionally Pyrrhic victories. I don’t know if that’s Netflix influenced or if Brooker’s world view has slightly softened.

I would mention Bandersnatch but I’m aware there was a separate thread for that so I’m choosing the option not to comment about it in here. At least I think I’m the one choosing.

gone through them all twice, and would happily go a 3rd. loved them all

need to do another season for sure

• Like 1

Thought I'd tie up a loose end by watching Killing Eve at the weekend.  One of those ones I never really fancied at the time despite the rave reviews.

Well stone me, it's superb!  Jodie Comer is absolutely mesmerising!  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Thought I'd tie up a loose end by watching Killing Eve at the weekend.  One of those ones I never really fancied at the time despite the rave reviews.

Even though you know it will end with her killing you with a cheese grater , you’d still bring her back to your hotel room and smoother her in Toblerone from the mini-bar 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Loved the first season but it went downhill pretty soon afterwards unfortunately (imho) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m really disappointed with the second season of Ted Lasso so far, it’s dreadful compared to the first. The Christmas episode last week was embarrassing.

I've yet to start it. Please say this isn't true!!!

I’m really disappointed with the second season of Ted Lasso so far, it’s dreadful compared to the first. The Christmas episode last week was embarrassing.

I've been enjoying it. I do agree it isn't up to the quality of the first season though and I'm wondering if that's because there's no antagonists for Ted to overcome? That was such a big focus in the first series and I think it's missed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, darrenm said:

Just started watching Game of Thrones again so I know what's going on this time.

Episode 1 is just pure exposition. Even then it's not enough.

I've watched the first 4 series a few times and would often rewatch them before a new one came out, but having seen the farce that is the last couple of series, I don't think I could bring myself to even watch the good ones again, knowing where it's going. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

I've yet to start it. Please say this isn't true!!!

I hope I’m in the minority and other people are enjoying it. It might be partly because I binged watched the last season but we’re having to wait a week between episodes this time.

I hope I’m in the minority and other people are enjoying it. It might be partly because I binged watched the last season but we’re having to wait a week between episodes this time.

I'm waiting till I have the whole season to smash through. Can't be going back to waiting a week between episodes of anything. That's from the Dark Ages.

• Like 3

Â