Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

It would be great to be able to say 'you know what, those last couple of seasons of GoT are unfairly maligned, actually it was really quite good if you think about it like X' or something, but nope, they really are just dumb and spoil what went before. It was always going to be difficult to make dragons be something other than completely stupid I guess.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

5 episodes of Money Heist dropping today on Netflix.  That's my evening sorted.

I believe the final 5 are released on the 3rd December.

Ep1 done, marvellous. Will prob do the lot today too. Its hokum but its soo ooooof entertaining. Been in love with Toyko since it began.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

So Wheel of Time.  

Should I expect violent, grim, hopeless, with loads of bewbs GoT style fantasy or a LoTR less graphically violent, good ultimately triumphing type?

Think the show will be more LoTR in tone, at least to begin with. There is tons of really grim stuff happening in the series and some naughty stuff too but it's usually not explicit or described in detail in the books.

For example the Dumai's Wells battle later in the series is about as gory and horrible as anything, remains to see how the chose to do the show. There is enough stuff to make it a horror show if they want to, the eveil is really, really evil. Obviously they won't go all in on that stuff.

There is more magic than in both LoTR and GoT. The series has all the usual fantasy tropes but it's also heavy on politics, intrigues and personal plots and vendettas. 

I really hope they go down the grim, realistic route even thou there is tons of fantastical elements. If they don't then I fear it will be a bit flat.

• Thanks 1

And the thing is, it's not even that it was constrained by time and they just couldn't get their vision across, as shown by the "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet". They were rushing shit, not thinking it through, making characters do dumb things to advance the plot, and didn't even consider the characters' motivations or how they should behave. It was just full speed ahead to Star Wars (Or not, unlucky, dickheads), and to hell with the legacy of GoT. I said it a few pages ago, but I'll never watch it again. The first 4 seasons are some of the best TV I've seen in many years, but it makes me too angry knowing what they did to it just to wrap it up so the writers could move on.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And the thing is, it's not even that it was constrained by time and they just couldn't get their vision across, as shown by the "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet". They were rushing shit, not thinking it through, making characters do dumb things to advance the plot, and didn't even consider the characters' motivations or how they should behave. It was just full speed ahead to Star Wars (Or not, unlucky, dickheads), and to hell with the legacy of GoT. I said it a few pages ago, but I'll never watch it again. The first 4 seasons are some of the best TV I've seen in many years, but it makes me too angry knowing what they did to it just to wrap it up so the writers could move on.

The big problem was that they didn't know what the ending was so they didn't know how to get there. Same as G RR Martin. They just reverted to standard Hollywood writing where you assume the audience are brain dead, the "bad" guys die and the "good" guys all survive miraculously and live happily ever after. What made GoT great was that it didn't follow the normal TV show script, unexpected things happened and main characters died.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To be fair its more likely that they wrapped it up so that HBO didn't have to spunk out a few hundred million more dollars 

I blame the money men as much as the writers, it'd gone up to $15m an episode come the end 

Wonder if various actors starting making noises about their contracts too

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair its more likely that they wrapped it up so that HBO didn't have to spunk out a few hundred million more dollars 

I blame the money men as much as the writers, it'd gone up to $15m an episode come the end 

Wonder if various actors starting making noises about their contracts too

It was an expensive show, but HBO were making money hand over fist and didn't want it to end, the writers confirmed they'd been told they could have more episodes or even more seasons, but they (Weiss and Benioff) wanted to end it. HBO wanted more, GRRM thought too much was being cut and wanted more, but the writers wanted out so they could go and work on other projects.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

GRRM just needs to get his finger out of his arse then so we can have our proper ending.

The last couple of books in the Wheel of Time series had to be finished by Brandon Sanderson using the notes and scripts left by Robert Jordan who passed away before he managed to finish the series.

Thankfully he left a lot of notes than Sanderson with the help of Jordans wife used to finish it. He did an OK job but Jordan would have done it a lot better and some of the tone and character gets lost.

GRRM feels like he might end up the same sadly.

Just now, sne said:

The last couple of books in the Wheel of Time series had to be finished by Brandon Sanderson using the notes and scripts left by Robert Jordan who passed away before he managed to finish the series.

Thankfully he left a lot of notes than Sanderson with the help of Jordans wife used to finish it. He did an OK job but Jordan would have done it a lot better and some of the tone and character gets lost.

GRRM feels like he might end up the same sadly.

As long as he's actually making the notes!  He's not exactly a picture of health.

• Like 1

Currently watching Clickbait on Netflix.  It's about a guy who is abducted and filmed with various statements about how he abused women and when the stream hits 5 million views he'll die. 

Genuinely astonishing what happened to Game of Thrones. 

Even as disastrous as the end was I can't believe it disappeared so quickly.

Biggest show in the world for about seven years, then just nothing...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

GRRM just needs to get his finger out of his arse then so we can have our proper ending.

If he knew how to finish it he would have written the last two books already. It's not like he hasn't had enough time. 

47 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If he knew how to finish it he would have written the last two books already. It's not like he hasn't had enough time. 

He knows how it ends. Just not how to get the characters where they need to be. I suspect that is he ever does get the next book published, the next one will come along much more quickly. At this point though, he's famous, loaded, can spend his days working on fun side projects and visiting conventions. I can't blame him for not wanting to spend his seventies locked in a room hammering out another volume.

When he didn't finish it during lockdown, I gave up all hope.

Â