Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, sne said:

Oh how I hope they have not messed this one up, could be epic if they get it right.

Looks decent, I'll be going in as blind as possible and hope for the best. Itching for a really good fantasy adventure series since GOT finished.

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Looks decent, I'll be going in as blind as possible and hope for the best. Itching for a really good fantasy adventure series since GOT finished.

Based on a book series of 14 books spanning 12000 pages with 2782 named characters. 

Read the first books in the 90's when I was a teenager and the last one came out in 2013 :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Based on a book series of 14 books spanning 12000 pages with 2782 named characters. 

Read the first books in the 90's when I was a teenager and the last one came out in 2013 :D 

Nice, can see why you're hoping they haven't messed up, good luck, hope it's even better then the books.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Nice, can see why you're hoping they haven't messed up, good luck, hope it's even better then the books.

Yeah book adaptations are tricky. Still sad about that horrible attempt they did with The Passage a few years back. Changed a bunch of stuff that all made it worse with writers who thought they could do better than the author. Cancelled after one season despite have a excellent source material to build from. Hacks.

Same with The Strain, and that even had Guillermo del Toro himself working on it but it still became garbage after a few eps.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah book adaptations are tricky. Still sad about that horrible attempt they did with The Passage a few years back. Changed a bunch of stuff that all made it worse with writers who thought they could do better than the author. Cancelled after one season despite have a excellent source material to build from. Hacks.

Same with The Strain, and that even had Guillermo del Toro himself working on it but it still became garbage after a few eps.

Fantasy and Sci-Fi are so hard to get right, especially when you know you're working with an adaptation that you know is going to be dissected by hardcore fans of the original source material. I'm not a reader so I should be easier to please but I rarely get past the first few episodes with most from these genres, however, when something does click its so entertaining. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've been meaning to read the wheel of time for a decade, now I'm not sure whether to rush towards it or not bother!

I'd say read it, but it's a lot of content to get through. Show and books will differ quite a bit I imagine.

Amazon will be throwing out various editions of the books to promote the show and you should have no trouble finishing the first book and a half that season 1 is based upon before the show starts in November.

12000 pages in total thou, it's a commitment :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

One of the good things about rewatching Game of Thrones I haven't spent the first season wondering who each character is. 

I'm on season 3 now. Everything makes perfect sense and it's much more enjoyable than the first time when I spent every episode wondering who this random new person was.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm on season 3 now. Everything makes perfect sense and it's much more enjoyable than the first time when I spent every episode wondering who this random new person was.

Its way better. You know that people will mainly get their cummupence. 

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

that season 4 episode 2 one, 'The Lion and the Rose' was one of the most satisfying episodes of TV I'd seen. GET IN THE **** BIN YOU PRICK. 

One of the best characters on TV, superbly acted, the guy retired but I think he's back, would be a shame if he walked away because he's excellent 

Thinking about him and the quality of him both in terms of writing and acting makes me think just how far they fall away from it at the end, even dinklage, the early series genuinely has some great acting talent and Emilia Clarke 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

One of the best characters on TV, superbly acted, the guy retired but I think he's back, would be a shame if he walked away because he's excellent 

Thinking about him and the quality of him both in terms of writing and acting makes me think just how far they fall away from it at the end, even dinklage, the early series genuinely has some great acting talent and Emilia Clarke 

I watched GoT for the first time last year so perhaps I benefited from not being invested in the same way as if I'd watched it as it was going on week by week, but I didn't notice the drop off too much really. I found the cult storyline a bit annoying and the younger daughter's storyline with the religious weirdos all a bit odd, but it wasn't too bad. Even season 8 being a shambles wasn't that much of a shambles and still had it's moments despite being an incoherent mess with that baffling odd final episode.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I watched GoT for the first time last year so perhaps I benefited from not being invested in the same way as if I'd watched it as it was going on week by week, but I didn't notice the drop off too much really. I found the cult storyline a bit annoying and the younger daughter's storyline with the religious weirdos all a bit odd, but it wasn't too bad. Even season 8 being a shambles wasn't that much of a shambles and still had it's moments despite being an incoherent mess with that baffling odd final episode.

Basically when it morphs from an unpredictably, intriguing political fuelled drama full of corruption, deceit and violence to an overblown cliché ridden Hollywood style production full of last second dragon saves and teleporting characters.  That's when they ran out of source material and the drop off occurs.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 4

Â