Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I don't think I could commit to naming a favourite character.  There's so many great ones.

That's one of it's (many) strengths - the ensemble cast and their characters are all so brilliantly written and acted that picking an absolute favourite is very difficult.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That's one of it's (many) strengths - the ensemble cast and their characters are all so brilliantly written and acted that picking an absolute favourite is very difficult.

I agree that it's a massive strength but I said in the death pool thread that it can also be seen as one of the shows weaknesses at the start because it can be overwhelming, there's no Tony Soprano in this, it's not instant but mcnulty fades in to the cast at some point and you start to get your head around what the show is but TV in general pushes you towards not understanding why mcnulty isn't always on screen

I think it was Chindie who said it as well that the show doesn't really define goodies and baddies either and make you want to root for one or the other

It is genuinely unlike a lot of other shows and then it does it all with such quality too

Edit - I though Treme did the same too and to a lesser extent the duece where Franco is a little bit more central and the cast is smaller, criminally underrated shows

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think it was Chindie who said it as well that the show doesn't really define goodies and baddies either and make you want to root for one or the other

Yeah that's another good point - it's absolutely grounded when it comes to morality. The characters are never caricatures, they all have depth and a zillion shades of grey.

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

No takers for Ziggy Sabotka as favourite Wire character???  

See there's a great example - what a **** prick that character was and yet you just have to admire the writing and acting 😃

• Like 2

A new series of A House Through Time started last night on BBC2. David Olusoga as I reminded daily is on my wife's laminated list. Regardless, this series is in Headingly in Leeds, love the detail and depth they research. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

See there's a great example - what a **** prick that character was and yet you just have to admire the writing and acting 😃

Absolutely - James Ransone was fantastic in the role of the odious prick! 

I actually quite liked Ziggy despite his faults and failings! 

• Like 1

I've actually just started on Better Call Saul. I just finished a 2nd run through BB and enjoyed it in different ways to the first run through. One of which was finding Saul much more entertaining.

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Having finished BCS to date recently I actually think it’s superior to BB.

I've heard this before and it's what put it on my to do list in the first place. I have this prejudice about spin-offs, by default, being worse than what they spun off from, and that's probably mostly true. But it does seem BCS is an exception.

• Like 1

Â