Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I watched the film "The Father" yesterday and wish I hadn't. I found it very upsetting and haunting 

Anthony Hopkins is brilliant he portrays a man suffering with Dementia the film is from his side not how it effects others. My old chap passed away two years ago (long story) but he suffered from Dementia. The film was too close too home when I realised what my Old chap must have gone through. 

Stay away from this film if you have lost some one recently through this terrible disease or watch and be prepared to bite your lip 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was pleased that Nigel Boyle got the screen time as the baddie, as he is a big villa fan and sneaked in a few villa references. He replied to a tweet of mine saying he was going to post the villa shirt that was in his office once the series had finished. 

I hope he hasn't got the hump about last night's public reaction. It was great to see a brummie actor in a big show. The fact that he is a villa man is the icing on the cake.

• Like 2

Working in the Criminal Justice industry it was a very realistic ending, I just think people wanted a more bombastic climax with a super sexy reveal. It's always going to be somebodyl ike a Buckells because of two things, you don't want ot draw attention to yourself by being flash and you don't want people thinking that you're capable of having pull over people. I thought it was quite good and the fact that it seems to have annoyed more than half of the viewership makes it better...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Over time I have come to realise that Jed Mercurio rarely if ever writes the ending I want. LoD on a scale of 1 to Dexter was OK. 

You’re in luck, Dexter hasn’t quite finished yet.

• Like 1

Binge watched LOD yesterday. 

Love the show, the characters, the premise of it all but was disappointed by the ending though. As others have said, it just feels as though they don't know when to end it. 

Spoiler

No way would Buckells have the power/influence to do everything that he was accused of. His role was of an incompetent senior officer who was basically mocked throughout the last few series. Not someone who was pretending to be incompetent. 

The real 'top man' scared people, had the influence to disband AC12 and remove Ted and was brutal in his actions. That didn't come off from Buckells. Even in the interview, he looked flustered and weak. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Binge watched LOD yesterday. 

Love the show, the characters, the premise of it all but was disappointed by the ending though. As others have said, it just feels as though they don't know when to end it. 

Hide contents

No way would Buckells have the power/influence to do everything that he was accused of. His role was of an incompetent senior officer who was basically mocked throughout the last few series. Not someone who was pretending to be incompetent. 

The real 'top man' scared people, had the influence to disband AC12 and remove Ted and was brutal in his actions. That didn't come off from Buckells. Even in the interview, he looked flustered and weak. 

Spoiler

Yep it didn’t fit his character at all. A couple of weeks ago, he was shaking like a leaf when the solicitor got murdered. Now he was meant to be cocky and arrogant about it. Just no. 
then as soon as they flipped it and mentioned the final murder he’s back to a bumbling idiot. 

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:
  Hide contents

Yep it didn’t fit his character at all. A couple of weeks ago, he was shaking like a leaf when the solicitor got murdered. Now he was meant to be cocky and arrogant about it. Just no. 
then as soon as they flipped it and mentioned the final murder he’s back to a bumbling idiot. 

So many unanswered questions:

Spoiler

Who planted the files in Buckells boot which led to him getting arrested? If he's a criminal mastermind, surely he wouldn't have left them there himself

Who were the criminals killed in the attempted kidnap of Lakewell during the transfer? They were just shot dead by the police and nothing else mentioned about them? Same when they tried to do the same with Jo Davidson. The OCG seem to have an infinite amount of black Range Rovers but very poor marksmen! 

Who arranged and signed the fake production order to get Davidson moved from prison? Buckells was in prison at that point. 

Like you say, why was Buckells shaking like a shitting dog when Lakewell was killed in prison?

How did Jo Davidson get into witness protection? She didn't seem to provide any worthwhile information when interviewed. She certainly never knew it was Buckells who was the top man as she was openly dismissive of him. 

What was the point of the Thurlwell character? Never in the show and now dead, but they used an actor like James Nesbitt in the photos (I appreciate he knows Jed Mecurio so may have been a favour). Seems a pointless extra character to add in. 

Why was Carmichael so unwilling to talk and do anything about historic police corruption? 

Why wasn't more made of Chief Constable Osborne, who would be the only person who could shut down a department like Ac12?

I think there will another couple of seasons. Its a cash cow for BBC. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

pPZBjyC.jpg

I think that's very generous to the first 6 seasons.

At its best it's a solid 7 out of ten for me.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 22:36, Stevo985 said:

It's all the little things that they overlook that annoy me too.

Like how **** long it would take them to walk through the train!

Yes, that one irks me all the time too. Let's say it takes you an average of a minute to walk through one carriage. Well, 1000 minutes is between 16 and 17 hours. Yet they are here there and everywhere in the blink of an eye.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Reveal hidden contents

Who planted the files in Buckells boot which led to him getting arrested? If he's a criminal mastermind, surely he wouldn't have left them there himself

Who were the criminals killed in the attempted kidnap of Lakewell during the transfer? They were just shot dead by the police and nothing else mentioned about them? Same when they tried to do the same with Jo Davidson. The OCG seem to have an infinite amount of black Range Rovers but very poor marksmen! 

Who arranged and signed the fake production order to get Davidson moved from prison? Buckells was in prison at that point. 

Like you say, why was Buckells shaking like a shitting dog when Lakewell was killed in prison?

How did Jo Davidson get into witness protection? She didn't seem to provide any worthwhile information when interviewed. She certainly never knew it was Buckells who was the top man as she was openly dismissive of him. 

What was the point of the Thurlwell character? Never in the show and now dead, but they used an actor like James Nesbitt in the photos (I appreciate he knows Jed Mecurio so may have been a favour). Seems a pointless extra character to add in. 

Why was Carmichael so unwilling to talk and do anything about historic police corruption? 

Why wasn't more made of Chief Constable Osborne, who would be the only person who could shut down a department like Ac12?

So was peaky blinders but that's on its way out

That said that might give them more reason to keep LoD going, they won't want to lose both of their big shows (is LoD that big abroad? PB supposedly does a lot of business on BBC worldwide which actually makes them a lot of money) 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think this might be the most impenetrably confusing scale anyone has ever suggested for anything.

I thought that, I'm guessing that Dexter is the shit end of the spectrum (though I never really see it as that bad) but I'm not sure where 'OK' lands on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought that, I'm guessing that Dexter is the shit end of the spectrum (though I never really see it as that bad) but I'm not sure where 'OK' lands on it.

You are all imprisoned by conservative thinking that has a beginning and end, with a numerical scale. On my scale of endings 1 is represented by The Good Place, a perfect ending. At the other end is the shit show that was the original run of Dexter. Along that scale is various numbers, emotions, other shows and at the 7/10 mark is OK. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

The files in the car, wasn’t that confirmed as Davidson who planted those? 

Agree about the rest, and defo at least 1 more series 

On 26/04/2021 at 23:17, mikeyp102 said:

Just watched this and the first two episodes, I agree they haven’t set the scene well.

Re shadow and bone (apologies for quoting myself) 

Just finished the series. It got better, but they still haven’t done well on building the world. No idea who’s fighting who, apart from light vs dark 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Re shadow and bone (apologies for quoting myself) 

Just finished the series. It got better, but they still haven’t done well on building the world. No idea who’s fighting who, apart from light vs dark 

Just finished a couple minutes ago. It did get a bit better but it's really rather uninteresting. 

As mentioned the world building is non existent, things just kinda happen and it all feels a bit rushed. It lacks dept and the characters are, I don't know what they are or what their motivations are tbh.

In classic Netflix style it's also a bit too polished.

5.5/10 maybe

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

**** me, only just watched the final LoD episode. More of the same from the last episode. Paint yourself in a corner then resolve it all in about an hour and a half of tedious, "no comment" strewn interviews that explain things with tedious leaps of logic.

I won't be watching any more shit written by that guy.

Line of Duty has the opportunity of wrapping everything up in a tight little bow and making it all worth if they do a final 7th season with what is left to explain.

Annoyingly, it seems like they’re stuck in TV show politics.

Â