Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Finished S1 of Godfather Of Harlem. 

Superb stuff. Definitely my favourite series of the year so far. Really looking forward to the next one.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I thought that. Seems the masses haven’t ‘got it’. I’m sure Jed Mecurio and the cast are feeling disappointed with the reaction as I know Martin Compton was quite vocal about hoping the ending lived up to expectations. I don’t think it did really. I was a bit underwhelmed. 

Nah, it was nothing to do with getting it. I got it just fine. it just wasn't very good

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Line Of Duty just seems like one of the programmes that they don't know how to end, or the writer knows how to end it but keeps getting paid loads of money for a new series and it gets more and more convoluted.

It was clear at the end of the last season that they had got to the end of anything they'd originally planned, and they falsely extended it by creating the fourth man with all that dot dot dot bollocks.

And that was just proved this season because 

Spoiler

They obviously didn't have a good plan for who the fourth man would be and didn't know where to take the story to incorporate it. Buckles made sense to an extent, but the fact he had already been arrested and was in jail, and that he was basically just a guy who passed on messages so seemingly had no real power, meant it was just a huge anticlimax.

I have a feeling they were planning for that moment where they put him in a catch 22 in the interview to be a huge magical moment. But it was all just a bit meh. Nobody really cares about Buckles so you're not invested enough for it to be a big payoff

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I was pleased that Nigel Boyle got the screen time as the baddie, as he is a big villa fan and sneaked in a few villa references. He replied to a tweet of mine saying he was going to post the villa shirt that was in his office once the series had finished. 

I hope he hasn't got the hump about last night's public reaction. It was great to see a brummie actor in a big show. The fact that he is a villa man is the icing on the cake.

It is great that he's a villa fan, but **** me he's not a very good actor :D 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that one irks me all the time too. Let's say it takes you an average of a minute to walk through one carriage. Well, 1000 minutes is between 16 and 17 hours. Yet they are here there and everywhere in the blink of an eye.

Exactly. In the episode where Sean bean's character goes to First Class for that summit, it shows him walking through the train and being mobbed in carriages. First class is at the front of the train. It would have taken him a week to walk all that way. It really really annoys me :D 

I know they have a train within the train that goes underneath, but it shows them walking all the time. If it didn't mention that the train was 1000 carriages long I'd assume from the show that it was about 10

• Like 1

Sorry, one more LOD comment. Some of the absolutely best bits of LoD down the years have been the interviews. For the two big interviews of this series to be reduced to 90% "no comment" really annoyed me. It's like they gave up

• Like 1

The last series had nothing on the earlier ones

This is the type of scene that made LOD quality 

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It is great that he's a villa fan, but **** me he's not a very good actor :D 

I thought that too but then if he was asked by the writers to play the part of a dull and uninteresting character then he delivered exactly that.

Then again, I'd agree with you that he's no Larry Olivier or Sir Ian McKellen 😉

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Finished S1 of Godfather Of Harlem. 

Superb stuff. Definitely my favourite series of the year so far. Really looking forward to the next one.

Season 2 has just started. You'll probably have to "acquire it" if you know what I mean.

On 03/05/2021 at 09:51, mottaloo said:

I was pleased that Nigel Boyle got the screen time as the baddie, as he is a big villa fan and sneaked in a few villa references. He replied to a tweet of mine saying he was going to post the villa shirt that was in his office once the series had finished. 

I hope he hasn't got the hump about last night's public reaction. It was great to see a brummie actor in a big show. The fact that he is a villa man is the icing on the cake.

☹️ only at the end of series 4 

I watched Murder Amongst Mormons yesterday, decent four part series that probably could have been two parts. 

Spoiler

Mark Hoffman’s forgery skillz were very impressive, if only he’d not decided to blow his associates up, he would have got away with it.

• Like 2

Anybody tried a Funimation subscription? I'm tempted as the have a few things I want to watch (Attack on Titan being the latest). Is it worthwhile? 

21 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Anybody tried a Funimation subscription? I'm tempted as the have a few things I want to watch (Attack on Titan being the latest). Is it worthwhile? 

Don't have a sub, but I would say the same about any other subscription service - if you're signing up for one thing only, it's probably not worth it. 

I believe the AoT anime is due to end next year? With the manga having finished last month. So, if you got a sub, you're kinda commiting yourself for that long. 

The list of shows available is pretty gargantuan, though. I know some people moan about the quality of funimation dubs, but for the top shows they're usually pretty good in my experience (if you watch with dub that is). 

I see it does have Martian Succesor Nadesico - man, I liked that show way more than it deserved. Comfortably top 5 anime series ever for me. 

Spoiler

Evangelion 

Berserk 

FLCL

Ebichu 

Nadesico

• Like 1

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I watched Murder Amongst Mormons yesterday, decent four part series that probably could have been two parts. 

Reveal hidden contents

Mark Hoffman’s forgery skillz were very impressive, if only he’d not decided to blow his associates up, he would have got away with it.

Yeah I thought it was a great story.  Netflix are great at that kind of thing, I rewatched the Ted Bundy one the other day too.  Man he was a scary bastard.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hogso said:

Don't have a sub, but I would say the same about any other subscription service - if you're signing up for one thing only, it's probably not worth it. 

I believe the AoT anime is due to end next year? With the manga having finished last month. So, if you got a sub, you're kinda commiting yourself for that long. 

The list of shows available is pretty gargantuan, though. I know some people moan about the quality of funimation dubs, but for the top shows they're usually pretty good in my experience (if you watch with dub that is). 

I see it does have Martian Succesor Nadesico - man, I liked that show way more than it deserved. Comfortably top 5 anime series ever for me. 

Hide contents

Evangelion 

Berserk 

FLCL

Ebichu 

Nadesico

I've seen a few things on there that I'd like to watch with AoT being the latest (I've seen series 1 and loved it). Also shows like

Rage of Bahamut

Full Metal Alchemist 

Devil May Cry 

And a few others I can't even remember. I'll be honest, I haven't heard of half the ones you mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I've seen a few things on there that I'd like to watch with AoT being the latest (I've seen series 1 and loved it). Also shows like

Rage of Bahamut

Full Metal Alchemist 

Devil May Cry 

And a few others I can't even remember. I'll be honest, I haven't heard of half the ones you mentioned. 

AoT is a wild ride. If you loved season 1 and haven't seen any more of it yet, oh boy, are you in for a wild ride. 

It's one of those rare pieces of media that makes you think 'wow what a moment that was'...and then it tops it. Then it tops it again. And again. And again...good stuff. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hogso said:

AoT is a wild ride. If you loved season 1 and haven't seen any more of it yet, oh boy, are you in for a wild ride. 

It's one of those rare pieces of media that makes you think 'wow what a moment that was'...and then it tops it. Then it tops it again. And again. And again...good stuff. 

Yeah loved season one. It's been on my list to finish for about 3 years now I think. Only other show I've enjoyed as much is probably Baki (even the dodgy season 1).

Â