Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

It is a myth created on VT, it's a excuse to justify MON's dogmatic team selections and stubborn management. NRC has rarely had a bad game in his time at Villa.

Pretty much this. But I still think his time here is over given the fallout with O'Neill. Despite the rather laughable 'forgiveness' that he has experienced since.

Yeah exactly, it's a shame really because he has shown that he can be a big asset to this club especially in a 3 man midfield which is what we seem to have the most positive results in. :?

I think his type of player can lift the crowd and the players because of how competitive and direct he is. He wins the ball and then quickly offloads.

It's fustrating because we spent alot of money on him and it's not as if it's a buy that's gone wrong because he turned out to be crap, it's the fact he's not getting the chances to play.

My nan could look in a 3 man midfield. You can hide in a 3 man midfield.

Yes. Of course, I mean, we beat Fulham, Liverpool (especially Liverpool 1-3) away from home with basically 10 men. Infact the 10 men even won a penalty when Gerrard slid and tackled the thin air man and won a penalty.

I didn't say it was like playing with 10 men.

I'm saying you don't have to be as good to play in a 5 man midfield. Players like NRC can get away with it because their lack of footballing know how, skill etc isn't as obvious when playing in a stodgier formation, where they get more help.

Petrovs the same IMO. Pretty average for PL standards in a 4-4-2, but in a 4-5-1 would probably do much better.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A top 6 premiership team should have a defensive midfielder who can also play a little, and NRC can't . Fairplay, the guy can run around like a nutter putting blocks and tackles in but that just isn't enough at this level. We overpaid for NRC and I would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

Couldn't have put it better myself. He's above his level at Villa. We are top 6 club with aspirations of CL football. NRC will do a job at a lower Premier League club, but he's not good enough for us.

I like players with an engine that can put a foot in, but those players also need to have a little bit of footballing talent. NRC has none.

I think Dan Gosling would be a fantastic signing... 20 years old, has a lot of premier league (and championship at Plymouth) appearances under his belt, England u19 experience I believe, he is versatile and best of all he is free! Seems like he can produce performances in big games too - I can remember the goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup (when the tv blacked out) and he scored against Man Utd...got to FA Cup quarter finals with Plymouth.

I think we would be attractive to him as I he lived near to me in Devon and some of my mates reckon he wants to move a little nearer to home...No nearer Premier League side than Villa.

A top 6 premiership team should have a defensive midfielder who can also play a little, and NRC can't . Fairplay, the guy can run around like a nutter putting blocks and tackles in but that just isn't enough at this level. We overpaid for NRC and I would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

oh yes, Mascherano is a brilliant footballer isnt he. you dont have to be an amazing footballer to play the role Reo-Coker does, he stops the opposition from walking through us, something that happens far too often with Milner and Petrov in the middle

How come Nigel Reo Coker has become the answer to all the problems weve got, hes the epitomy of the "player that gets better the longer he cant get in the side"

lets face it people, we cant keep harping on about 1 performance at Anfield in nearly 3 seasons at the club....... IMO Reo-Joker is the biggest waste of skin ive ever seen pull a shirt on, the kid is shite !!

Well I just wrote about his performances last year so obviously you either can't read or don't want to read because noone is hanging about just one performance.

Like I said, we're also not going to bang on about a performance of over 2 years ago are we now... :?

It's the same as going "We should play Sidwell because he was brilliant for Reading in their first season"

lets face it, clubs arent beating our door down to take him are they !!!

Chindie - Your view about his ability is based solely on speculation and myth. You're ignoring factual evidence of his talents; there is many games where he has contributed heavily to the side and examples have been mentioned numerous times by different posters.

Surely you have noticed NRC's influence in the side? I find it difficult for you to be so dismissive of his ability with nothing solid supporting your view, I don't accept that, and I find it bizarre coming from a poster who has previously said on a different topic that it's about getting the results not technical style. What's the difference?

I never said NRC was our savior and that is simply not true either. However, I disagree with this concept that he doesn't have the footballing ability which quite honestly has been built on nothing but an active imagination.

NRC has been treated unfairly by MON for whatever reason, I don't think you can disagree or dispute that notion. How is it fair to judge his ability with his inconsistent playing time? For me, it isn't and that's a major frustration for supporters.

As you said this on-going debate is becoming tiresome and insipid, I won't discuss it further on this thread or any other.

avfc89, I've done all the stats before - he adds little that Petrov doesn't do better, is what I found with that, other than 'trying' and 'effort'.

Nothings based on imagination, myth or otherwise, do a search you'll find something I spent hours doing, around Christmas time I think.

Don't assume I'm based something on nothing, when I'm not, it makes you look foolish.

And indeed, lets waste no more on this waste of a wage.

oh yes, Mascherano is a brilliant footballer isnt he. you dont have to be an amazing footballer to play the role Reo-Coker does, he stops the opposition from walking through us, something that happens far too often with Milner and Petrov in the middle

Liverpool are not a top 6 club, :winkold:

And Mascherano isn't super technically but he is a class apart from NRC.

He'll be sold this summer, his contract runs out at the end of next season so unless MON wants to lose out on a few million then I see no reason why NRC will stay.
I don't think anybody can really argue with his decision to quit this summer or next, if he chooses either of them options of course.

Did I read somewhere Gosling in talks with West Ham?

Anyway I say he is worth talking to at least might be a chance missed, but from the brief glimpses seen probably not worth a massive contract offer.

Has anyone seen the type of players Avram Grant at West Ham is trying to get, a relatively(understatement) lesser team than us? I'm not saying they'll get them , but just look at the ambition and vision. God I wish we had someone like him in charge, they could work wonders with our resources and a club of our stature. Ok my covert MON bashing is done for tonight, I'll now wait until the signings start happening to judge.