Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

I heard that Gosling is most likely going to Newcastle, but also has West Ham and Sunderland interested.

I don't think we really need to replace Salifou or Osbourne. They're both in the reserves which can be replaced by the best players in the Youth setup (I would imagine). Gosling's half decent but nothing special. Like a younger James Milner but without the drive, workrate and as much technical ability.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has got the same injury as Delph at the moment so it would be a risk in signing him but a risk worth taking as his contract wouldn't be that big and we have excellent physios and rehab programmes.

Why the hell do we want Gosling? We've got Delph we don't need another type like him. And by the sounds, the guy is asking more than he can bargain for... think he's been watching himself on football manager too much.

Regarding NRC, I can't believe the amount of people ripping into him are talking about. Get him in a 5 man midfield playing as the defensive midfielder and wham, your talking an interesting game!

We signed Keane or Ireland yet?

Oh, and I've said it yesterday but get Clint Dempsey in... and perhaps Landon Donovan?

A top 6 premiership team should have a defensive midfielder who can also play a little, and NRC can't . Fairplay, the guy can run around like a nutter putting blocks and tackles in but that just isn't enough at this level. We overpaid for NRC and I would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

oh yes, Mascherano is a brilliant footballer isnt he. you dont have to be an amazing footballer to play the role Reo-Coker does, he stops the opposition from walking through us, something that happens far too often with Milner and Petrov in the middle

Liverpool are not a top 6 club, :winkold:

And Mascherano isn't super technically but he is a class apart from NRC.

Mascherano's a much better footballer than NRC. His touch is better, his passings better and he reads the game better.

We do need more than Petrov in the middle in a 4-4-2, but NRC isnt the answer.

Did I read somewhere Gosling in talks with West Ham?

Anyway I say he is worth talking to at least might be a chance missed, but from the brief glimpses seen probably not worth a massive contract offer.

Isnt everyone in talks with West Ham at the moment.

A top 6 premiership team should have a defensive midfielder who can also play a little, and NRC can't . Fairplay, the guy can run around like a nutter putting blocks and tackles in but that just isn't enough at this level. We overpaid for NRC and I would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

oh yes, Mascherano is a brilliant footballer isnt he. you dont have to be an amazing footballer to play the role Reo-Coker does, he stops the opposition from walking through us, something that happens far too often with Milner and Petrov in the middle

Liverpool are not a top 6 club, :winkold:

And Mascherano isn't super technically but he is a class apart from NRC.

Mascherano's a much better footballer than NRC. His touch is better, his passings better and he reads the game better.

We do need more than Petrov in the middle in a 4-4-2, but NRC isnt the answer.

Mascherano is better than NRC but that is not the issue with NRC. It is that his position, like Mascherano's, is a waste of a player. You can teach a bit of defensive discipline to an attacking player if he is willing to learn. Milner is willing to learn, Ireland isn't and that is why I think Ireland will not be a direct replacement for Milner.

I think we need Ireland for his ability, which imo is not up for debate as he is class, but he is not suited to a cm role. It will be a clear indication of a change of style if we approach a player like Ireland. But the most important thing for me is to get the cm right, we have seen MON's eagerness to use Delph and that must spell clearly that he wants Milner and Delph as the pairing in the near future. I think MON wants

Downing-Delph-Milner-Young

Gabby-Keane(or a player in his mould)

OR

Ireland-Delph-Milner

Downing/Keane(or similar)-Gabby-Young

The second one excites me hugely and it dispels the need for a designated DM which for me is a good thing. It is all part of building the right squad and MON has shown his willingness to do this by signing players when they were needed(Harewood, Beye, Shorey, Sidwell) and then moving them on when we have gone onto better things. It also gives us options which we have not had in the past. 2 proven talents this window and we have reason to be very excited!

Mashcerano is the most overrated footballer in the world and I'm sick of hearing about him.

He's **** pony.

Totally agree.

I have yet to see anything about him to suggest he is any better than NRC.

Both aren't great at passing or shooting and both can tackle fairly well and chase a player well although NRC is better at that aspect.

I guarantee if Mascherano was called Bob Smith everybody would think he's rubbish. He has got to be the luckiest football player alive considering how much money he's earning and how he is captain of Argentina with the very limited ability he has.

According to the Guardian City are going to offer us 24 million for Milner, I also saw another story saying that Milner would not put in a transfer request, and would only leave once we've accepted a bid.

Mashcerano is the most overrated footballer in the world and I'm sick of hearing about him.

He's **** pony.

Totally agree.

Both aren't great at passing or shooting and both can tackle fairly well and chase a player well although NRC is better at that aspect.

I guarantee if Mascherano was called Bob Smith everybody would think he's rubbish. He has got to be the luckiest football player alive considering how much money he's earning and how he is captain of Argentina with the very limited ability he has.

:crylaugh:

Absolute rubbish. His anticipation and tackling ability is amazing, whilst when he wins the ball he barely gives it away.

Ridiculous to say he has his reputation due to his name.

I'm sure every team in the world, would take him if they were in a position to do so. Of course the guy has his flaws, but he's one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and 10x the player NRC is and I rate Nigel.

No way every team in the world would want him! He has commitment to his game but his game is overvalued, he has been shown up for his misgivings and it looks like Benitez's final gift to Liverpool is to pay 30m for him!

Who wouldn't want him then?

He's **** pony.

Totally agree.

:crylaugh:

Absolute rubbish. His anticipation and tackling ability is amazing, whilst when he wins the ball he barely gives it away.

Ridiculous to say he has his reputation due to his name.

I'm sure every team in the world, would take him if they were in a position to do so. Of course the guy has his flaws, but he's one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and 10x the player NRC is and I rate Nigel.

I agree Mascherano is overrated, but he's still a very very good player. Can't tackle...at least not as well as some people tend to give him credit for. However that said his reading of the game and positional sense is very very good and that sets him apart from more average players like NRC.

There are better DMs out there though, and IMO Hodgson would do well to grab 30m quid for him to spend on other players. I believe Lucas is a massively underrated player and I think if Mascherano leaves he will step up this season and find his way into the Brazil team (Felipe Melo seems to have gone backwards). IMO Benitez (FSW) tried too hard to make him into a new Alonso, which he will never be. FFS just let him do what he does best - win possession, play the simple ball.

No way every team in the world would want him! He has commitment to his game but his game is overvalued, he has been shown up for his misgivings and it looks like Benitez's final gift to Liverpool is to pay 30m for him!

Who wouldn't want him then?

United, Chelsea, Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Arsenal, Valencia, Inter, Roma, Milan, Bremen, Juventus. I say Inter because I do not think they need him at all but I think Benitez may bring him there, like I said as a gift!

He is good at what he does it not enough, he has won so little in his career and for such a brilliant player that is a must for every team why is that??

Well to be honest I'm not too impressed with Mascherano everytime I watch Liverpool play. He has a fairly easy job at Liverpool because Liverpool generally play quite defensively and he has Lucas with him to help.

If he was as good as people make out, then he would have helped out Argentina more in the world cup.