Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be honest I'm not too impressed with Mascherano everytime I watch Liverpool play. He has a fairly easy job at Liverpool because Liverpool generally play quite defensively and he has Lucas with him to help.

If he was as good as people make out, then he would have helped out Argentina more in the world cup.

What about 08/09? Mascherano was playing with Alonso most of the time, not Lucas. Liverpool were pretty offensive-minded back then.

As for Argentina, what did you expect him to do, try to contain three opposing midfielders at once? (Ozil, Khedira, Schweinsteiger)? Without Veron/Bolatti the Argentinian team looked terribly unbalanced with the two extra players in central midfield replaced by wingers (Di Maria, Maxi).

As I said before I do think Mascherano is slightly overrated but he's still a quality player and IMO suffered from tactical limitations especially in the Germany game.

Dempsey would be a good sign at a reasonable price, but we shouldn't overpay for him. He's a bit one dimensional, and I'm not sure of the role he'd play on this team. I don't think he's particularly creative either.

If we sign an American, I think a real shot in the dark (and this probably won't happen, so don't jump down my throat) is Benny Feilhaber who is currently at AGF Aarhus. He's a brilliant passer, extremely creative in the center midfield, only 25 years old, and I think has a decent amount of potential still left. He looked really good in the World Cup as well; his presence changed the Slovenia, Algeria and Ghana matches.

Dempsey would be a good sign at a reasonable price, but we shouldn't overpay for him. He's a bit one dimensional, and I'm not sure of the role he'd play on this team. I don't think he's particularly creative either.

If we sign an American, I think a real shot in the dark (and this probably won't happen, so don't jump down my throat) is Benny Feilhaber who is currently at AGF Aarhus. He's a brilliant passer, extremely creative in the center midfield, only 25 years old, and I think has a decent amount of potential still left. He looked really good in the World Cup as well; his presence changed the Slovenia, Algeria and Ghana matches.

Good shout. He played well against Ghana. (Feilhaber, I mean)

As I said before I do think Mascherano is slightly overrated but he's still a quality player and IMO suffered from tactical limitations especially in the Germany game.

When you take Mascherano and Veron and leave Cambiasso probably the most in form holding midfielder in the world at the time you know he has slight technical limitations :).

When you take Mascherano and Veron and leave Cambiasso probably the most in form holding midfielder in the world at the time you know he has slight technical limitations :).

Agree, Cambiasso is better. That said Mascherano is still very good.

And Cambiasso isn't Usain Bolt, he can't run all over the pitch covering for 3 other (invisible) midfielders at once.

Good shout. He played well against Ghana. (Feilhaber, I mean)

Dempsey has to be the single most selfish player ever to have graced the game. He never passes the ball and will shoot on every single occassion, even if he is 35 yards out and has 3 better options. He scores a few goals, and gets publicity because of this, but if he learnt to pass he would set up so many more than he scored.

Basically, he is not a team player... next time you watch Fulham make a note and see how he plays... I would not like him in the Villa team. Far too selfish.

Are you serious? This is the same player who failed to make it at Derby the season they were the Premier league whipping boys? I have relatives in California who know him and his family well, it was acknowledged at the time he struggled with the game here. Granted he wasn't helped by playing for a very poor Derby team, but unless he's improved ten fold which he didn't seem to have at the world cup, he's not good enough to add anything to Villa's team.

If we're taking an American on potential I really think Altidore is worth it. He's still young and improving quickly. And despite some profligacy @ the WC he was a big handful. In a poor Hull City side last season in half a season he managed more assists than all bar a few strikers managed in the entire season. Yes I know we need goals but I think he would get goals in a better side than Hull. He's no Heskey if that's what people are afraid of.

I agree BOF, he reminds me of the Heskey from Leicester, power, pace and a bloody handful, the player us fans wanted to replace Yorke. Heskey's game has changed due to his move to Liverpool being a foil to Owen, at Leicester he was the main man.

I'd like us to look at Slovakias Marek Hamšík. Young, plenty of experience for his age, captain of his country and an amazing talent.

Napoli themselves only qualified for the Europa League.

Agree, Cambiasso is better. That said Mascherano is still very good.

And Cambiasso isn't Usain Bolt, he can't run all over the pitch covering for 3 other (invisible) midfielders at once.

Well having Maxi and Di Maria on was always going to leave Mascherano pretty much at the mercy of any midfield especially with how quickly the Germans counterattack but anyway scooting well off the thread topic.

I'm of the please don't leave Milner bunch, can't see us replacing him in saying that, if we are offered 30m i really can't see us turn it down though as much as it pains me to say, sell the fringe players and make maybe 40-45m all up and buy a decent striker, a creative middle man maybe a right back and probably 2 or 3 "squad" players MON will never use :|.

What about Dan Gosling to help add a bit of depth to the midfield? Just been released by Everton because they forgot to actually offer him a contract!

Free transfer, young, English, decent technical player and a bit of potential. Might be someone we'd look at?

I'd like us to have a look at Anan aswell from Rosenborg, but figure there'll be a few higher profile clubs keeping an eye on him after the World Cup.

Can't see Hamsik moving to us Dante, he's been linked with the top clubs for a year or two now.

I'd like us to look at Slovakias Marek Hamšík. Young, plenty of experience for his age, captain of his country and an amazing talent.

Napoli themselves only qualified for the Europa League.

Look very good last season, if I recall though he was touted for bigger and better things than us. Napoli have a few players I'd happily see here, Camilo Zúñiga and Wálter Gargano to name two I'd hope were attractable at our level.

If we're taking an American on potential I really think Altidore is worth it. He's still young and improving quickly. And despite some profligacy @ the WC he was a big handful. In a poor Hull City side last season in half a season he managed more assists than all bar a few strikers managed in the entire season. Yes I know we need goals but I think he would get goals in a better side than Hull. He's no Heskey if that's what people are afraid of.

I was impressed with him also, always seems to be involved a lot in the action. Could do as job for us me thinks....

And while I often read unfair and less than complimentary descriptions of Birmingham as a city, I'd be fairly certain it still has a clear edge over Naples.

I was impressed with him also, always seems to be involved a lot in the action. Could do as job for us me thinks....

I was impressed with him aswell. Asamoah Gyan was another who stood out for me. He's certainly improved since the last World Cup, and he looked a bit of talent back then. Sunderland fancy him for £7m according to one of the rags this morning.

Mashcerano is the most overrated footballer in the world and I'm sick of hearing about him.

He's **** pony.

Hes really not.

Was Makelele crap as well, because Masherano is Makelele but quicker.

Liverpool finished just below us but with shed loads of injuries along with Lucas and Masherano in midfield.

Now Lucas is absolute shite, so i doubt they did ok with two shit CM's

And while I often read unfair and less than complimentary descriptions of Birmingham as a city, I'd be fairly certain it still has a clear edge over Naples.

:lol:

For everything you hear about Naples though, they do host the world's premier Pizzafest.