Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Forget the Irelands, the Keanes, the Parkers etc.

Why am I going into yet another season worried about our right back position?

Everyone affiliated with the club, the fans, the players etc. know we have an excellent right back at the club...apart from one man. If we go into next season with Cuellar at right back ill be mightily dissapointed. I honestly really struggle to watch villa when he is there, it makes me cringe and actually upsets me to watch a player played so badly out of position.

I really hope this area of the team is sorted out. Id like to think MON isnt stupid, but at times, i do wonder.

Luke Young wants to be in London closer to his family his mind wasn't on football last season which is understandable. Cuellar did a decent job in his place, no he wasn't a box to box Brazilian wing back but neither was Young. I would love MON to go out and buy a quality right back but if he doesn't Cuellar is fine in that position.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone affiliated with the club, the fans, the players etc. know we have an excellent right back at the club...apart from one man. If we go into next season with Cuellar at right back ill be mightily dissapointed. I honestly really struggle to watch villa when he is there, it makes me cringe and actually upsets me to watch a player played so badly out of position.

I really hope this area of the team is sorted out. Id like to think MON isnt stupid, but at times, i do wonder.

Luke Young wants to be in London closer to his family his mind wasn't on football last season which is understandable. Cuellar did a decent job in his place, no he wasn't a box to box Brazilian wing back but neither was Young. I would love MON to go out and buy a quality right back but if he doesn't Cuellar is fine in that position.

MON buying a boxtobox wingback? :crylaugh:

Sorry but you don't know that. If his mind wasn't on football, why did he play around 10 games in a row very well and then when Collins returned was dropped? What because suddenly and co-incidently, the returns of Collins meant that Young weren't concentrating on his football?

He simply isn't preferred to Cuellar. Simple.

On a side note I'm sick of everyone wanking to certain players just because they had a good WC, particularly players from Germany. Apparently Chelsea fans think they can just buy off Schweinsteiger.

The thing is MON went out and paid good money for Warnock so he must be a fan of attacking fullbacks up to a point. I expect there was more to Cuellar being used in favour of Young than simply thinking Cuellar was a better right back.

The thing is MON went out and paid good money for Warnock so he must be a fan of attacking fullbacks up to a point. I expect there was more to Cuellar being used in favour of Young than simply thinking Cuellar was a better right back.

I suspect you are right about Young, something was going on as it's just illogical otherwise not to play him.

We need a settled back 4 with no squares in round holes to start with next season, that is a must. Without this we really are not going to compete. Cuellar is never going to be the answer long term as we need 2 attacking full backs.

I know imagine how stupid a manager must be to play a defence that was hard to score against and which helped a team become very hard to beat. Stupid Mon!!!

I know imagine how stupid a manager must be to play a defence that was hard to score against and which helped a team become very hard to beat. Stupid Mon!!!

To be fair BJ i dont think 'vivaashleyyoung' meant anything to do with the defence, was he not on about the midfield?

To be fair BJ i dont think 'vivaashleyyoung' meant anything to do with the defence, was he not on about the midfield?

No

No

Ah ok, my mistake.

No

Ah ok, my mistake.

I agree with vay by the way. not in quite such a scathing way. but as sound as Cuellar is defensivley, i really think we need to offer more going forward. Clearly luke Young isn't the solution (for whatever reason, we might never know) so I hope MON brings in a fullback he trusts to play there.

Sorry but you don't know that. If his mind wasn't on football, why did he play around 10 games in a row very well and then when Collins returned was dropped? What because suddenly and co-incidently, the returns of Collins meant that Young weren't concentrating on his football?

Precisely. Young did not put a foot wrong but MON simply prefers Cuellar. Why I don't know but its hadly surprising that LY apparently wants out when he is ousted from RB by a CB.

I like Cuellar and I think he has a great attitude but he is not 'fine' at RB. He drifts infield to much, he has no pace to deal with attacking wingers, he can't overlap effectively and his passing can be wayward. Conversely I think he is a top class CB and better than Collins.

As it is we now lose a fine RB and have to find another, probably a kid who will be happy to play second fiddle to Cuellar for a couple of seasons. Not ideal at all and an example of MON's very poor man management and I say that as a supporter of MON.

If todays tabloid gossip is to be believed - that RB will be Nedum Onuoha (as part of the JM transfer with Ireland + £15m too!)

That would be a great deal (if JM has to go)

In regards to LY - yes it's a shame he didn't play more last season as he's a good RB. However, I do not entirely put the blame on MON - we don't know what goes on behind closed doors and if you recall, Young had the misfortune to suffer a family berievement during last summer.

That may have totally affected him. MON and the club treated LY with respect and dignity, allowing him as much time as he needed to return. It would be understandable that LY's mind was not on football last season but with his family supporting them or recieving support.

By the time he was possibly ready to return, Cuellar had established himself in a effective defensive line-up. The old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' was very apt.

I expect, LY will sign for a London club so he can be nearer his family and wish him all the best.

I thought I'd copy the article from the Ireland thread and drop it in here..

MARTIN O’Neill is ready to strike a £30m deal with Manchester City for want-away James Milner.

The Villa boss accepts he is fighting a losing battle to keep Milner at Villa Park – but is ready to play hardball with City.

O’Neill is ready to do business and smash the record transfer sale at Villa, but only if City are willing to throw in Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha into the deal.

Villa value Milner at £30m and will want £15m cash plus the two City players who are surplus to requirements for Roberto Mancini.

City have tried to use the duo as part of a deal to tempt Everton to part with Mikel Arteta, but Villa boss O’Neill wants them to switch to Villa Park.

Onuoha’s future is ­virtually non-existent now that City have signed ­German ­international ­Jerome Boateng, while ­Villa are desperate to sign a right-back with Luke Young and Habib Beye both set to leave the club.

But O’Neill faces stiff competition from ­Sunderland to land former England ­Under-21 star ­Onuoha.

While the Villa boss has already ­rejected two bids in excess of £20m for Milner, he realises he is swimming against the tide.

Milner appears to have set his heart on a move to City, having being promised a contract which would more than double his £45,000-a-week deal at Villa Park.

But Ireland, who is valued at £9m, would be a welcome addition to the Villa midfield, which is crying out for an attacking ­influence from central areas.

From the Daily Star

If we do lose Milner then this is one of the best offers I could realistically see us accepting. RB sorted, Milner replaced, £15m on top. Make the call MON!

Precisely. Young did not put a foot wrong but MON simply prefers Cuellar. Why I don't know but its hadly surprising that LY apparently wants out when he is ousted from RB by a CB.

I like Cuellar and I think he has a great attitude but he is not 'fine' at RB. He drifts infield to much, he has no pace to deal with attacking wingers, he can't overlap effectively and his passing can be wayward. Conversely I think he is a top class CB and better than Collins.

As it is we now lose a fine RB and have to find another, probably a kid who will be happy to play second fiddle to Cuellar for a couple of seasons. Not ideal at all and an example of MON's very poor man management and I say that as a supporter of MON.

i wouldnt fault Cueller defensively, he was probably better than Luke Young at that this season. His faults lie when he has the ball and the fact that he can offer no attacking contribution.

cv, or that when he does attack, half of his passes end up in the stand.

Also it's limits the winger in front of him. If Downing/ Ash know that Cuellar is behind them - they might hesitate to try and take a player on because they'll have a niggling feeling that if they need to pass and move, Cuellar won't be there to receive the ball or might not get it back to the winger to complete an attack.