General Chat

Stevo985

On 08/01/2021 at 12:59, Paddywhack said:

We got a new toaster recently and it's so far given me two tales to tell.

I wondered if we put the old one at the end of our drive whether the scrap-men would take it. Then we went for a walk and someone on the next street had put the exact same toaster at the end of their drive. Ain't that weird? 

This morning, I popped bread in to the new toaster, pulled it down and noticed two inches of bread still sticking out the top.

Of all the things you might want to consider when buying a new toaster, "does the bread fit in it?" shouldn't have to be one of them.

Are you me? I could have written this exact post this week.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm revisiting the idea of moving to Pacific Mexico and teaching English as a foreign language. Lower cost of living. Better weather. No MAGAs. I'm going to take a long look at this. I have nothing tying me down. 

If you want to chat about teaching English as a foreign language, I would be happy to help with whatever questions I can answer. I've been doing it (or versions of it) since 2008.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you want to chat about teaching English as a foreign language, I would be happy to help with whatever questions I can answer. I've been doing it (or versions of it) since 2008.

I will definitely take you up on this. I'll shoot you a PM.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I guess the cartel will take care of that ;)

You do actually have to take some care deciding where to go.   A guy at work is from a bit inland in Jalisco, I think, and says his home town is risky.   His wife is looking to sell a house her family owns in Sinaloa very cheap before some just takes it by force and they get nothing.  This is coming from a guy who was shot in his own back yard at his son's birthday party in the US, so if he says it's bad, it's bad.

Probably the places that are safest are the bigger, more modern touristy areas, but they may be less likely to have large populations needing to know English who don't already speak it.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Me too. I've been doing it since 2010. All in foreign countries. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Where have you been (apart from Bulgaria, obviously!)?

I was in Istanbul for nearly 6 years. I started off in a secondary school, then as a teacher in an Armenian primary school. After that, I did a stint for Siemens there doing in house teaching. Then I started on my current path as a pre-school/elementary guide in kindergartens in Istanbul and here. Now I'm currently finishing my qualification as a full blown Montessori guide. The course was meant to be in Prague but COVID switched it all to online. 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 16:09, AVFC_Hitz said:

I felt bad, bit my sister and I had a bit of a giggle.

Why would you do that to your sister you mentalist?

• Haha 2

Just found (dead) the most evil looking spider I've ever seen in my life in my sink. So glad I found it dead and didn't encounter it live, it oozed malevolence. 

I'm pretty sure it was a false widow which can give a pretty nasty bite. 

On 12/01/2021 at 11:54, villa4europe said:

they're giving selfridges a clean, taking the discs off, cleaning them then putting them back on, £20m... whilst the works are being done this is how they'll wrap it

BAM bags £20m Bullring facade revamp | Construction Enquirer News

I'll do it for £10m, I've got a jet wash and I can hire a cherry picker. I won't even charge for that.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Phew, hopefully it was natural causes and not as a result of losing a fight with an even more bad ass spider still looking for a territorial fight...

Oh thanks a bunch.  Now I'll be searching everywhere for a black widow or funnel Web that's shipped in with my bananas. 

• Haha 1

Â