General Chat

Stevo985

Yeah we’ve still got elderly relatives in Camborne but I’ve not called in on them for years.

The only photos I’ve got for a couple of family members are taken on my phone, from the Mevagissey FC year books in the museum. It would appear we were regulars in the footy team way back when!

They’d have been so proud of me, in my age group on Barry Island we only had 10 boys and I managed to be a reserve in one game!

There’s a few nice spots down there! Although I’m conscious that peak tourist season and known tourist spots, it must be an absolute nightmare for the locals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

we’ve still got elderly relatives in Camborne but I’ve not called in on them for years

Cambourne. Not on the list of such nice places. To be kind it's "down on its luck".

Tourist season was OK depending on what you wanted - I mean lots of lovely visiting folk for the clubs and pubs in summer was mostly great for... y'know..."meeting and getting to know".

But clogging up the beaches and water when you wanted to go surfing or water-ski-ing less so. Bimbling, lost down the narrow lanes. Grrr.

During a storm staying in Portmellon as a kid I can recall watching waves crash over a house across the road from the bay. Next day the road was basically an extension of the sea with the amount of sand and seaweed that had got thrown up.

Camborne is one of the most desolate places I've ever been.

• Like 1

Anyone wear a Fitbit ? Got one for Xmas and they are pretty cool. Wife bought me and Apple Watch at first but it was too complicated , so sent it back and got Fitbit . It’s good to see how much sleep you get and what kind of sleep. One thing I will say is that I’m not sure the BPM is that accurate but could be wrong. When resting during day I’m consistently around 60bmp , and in the morning when wake up less than that, but it’s not really that often it goes that low on the Fitbit. 

1st off - @Rugeley Villa is back! 'Ow you bin' man?

So I took a few days off social media, TV and the internet.

Has much happened in the last 2 days? Much going on in the US or Villa?

Honestly, most importantly I can't believe that I've missed Ruge's return to VT!

Edited by TheAuthority

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

1st off - @Rugeley Villa is back! 'Ow you bin' man?

So I took a few days off social media, TV and the internet.

Has much happened in the last 2 days? Much going on in the US or Villa?

Honestly, most importantly I can't believe that I've missed Ruge's return to VT!

I’m well thanks mate . Hope you and the family are ok . It’s no big deal , although I am being lined up to become one of the mods . In discussion with limpid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

You appear to think you've logged into Mumsnet

I wear one when I take Oscar to nursery. By the time I've been for Gins with the other girls, gone to Aldi, walked around to see Mum and then gone to post office it's time to pick him up again! It's nice to put your feet up at home after your 7000 steps.

• Haha 3

On 06/01/2021 at 21:02, Rugeley Villa said:

Anyone wear a Fitbit ?

Yeah, been wearing various model since about 2014 (though with the rate they've kept dying the last year I really ought to investigate another manufacturer).

One thing I will say is that I’m not sure the BPM is that accurate but could be wrong. 

Short answer: "It varies" as to how accurate it is (I appreciate this sounds fairly glib and doesn't really help).  If you're doing general  day-to-day stuff it'll be fine, start doing any sort of exercise, less so.

Long answer: 

Spoiler

I've got a finger pulse oximeter - the fitbit will usually be within a few beats of that at rest/when I'm standing still.  Though optical-based-wrist-located HR sensors can be crap when it comes to measuring HR on a bike (or even exercise in general if they're not super snug, and then even then your mileage will vary) - as it happens I'm going to dig out another HR chest strap this afternoon to compare to my garmin - the fitbit will manage to track in the same range as the chest strap in heavy exercise until I get to about 180bpm, then it'll top out whilst my chest strap will report me working much harder - so I'd like to see if it's the fitbit that's the issue or my chest strap is overreporting my HR (and I know which I'm inclined to expect to see is the case) - though I've just realised that the following activity wasn't recorded in "exercise" mode on the fitbit, so it wasn't measuring as often as it could have been.

This is two HR graphs from yesterday's session of a 15min warm up on the bike, 3 intervals of 3mins work, 4 mins recovery, then a 10min warm down.

Fitbit:image.thumb.png.133abdfa48621d78e581627803dba1d1.png

Garmin: image.png.c61be3d1cd411d8b2478772bf23cce4c.png

When resting during day I’m consistently around 60bmp , and in the morning when wake up less than that, but it’s not really that often it goes that low on the Fitbit. 

And it's fairly common to have a lowest HR value first thing in the morning, since you'll have been lying down for a few hours and your heart won't have had to battle against gravity to get blood to your head.

2 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

Yeah, been wearing various model since about 2014 (though with the rate they've kept dying the last year I really ought to investigate another manufacturer).

Short answer: "It varies" as to how accurate it is (I appreciate this sounds fairly glib and doesn't really help).  If you're doing general  day-to-day stuff it'll be fine, start doing any sort of exercise, less so.

Long answer: 

Reveal hidden contents

I've got a finger pulse oximeter - the fitbit will usually be within a few beats of that at rest/when I'm standing still.  Though optical-based-wrist-located HR sensors can be crap when it comes to measuring HR on a bike (or even exercise in general if they're not super snug, and then even then your mileage will vary) - as it happens I'm going to dig out another HR chest strap this afternoon to compare to my garmin - the fitbit will manage to track in the same range as the chest strap in heavy exercise until I get to about 180bpm, then it'll top out whilst my chest strap will report me working much harder - so I'd like to see if it's the fitbit that's the issue or my chest strap is overreporting my HR (and I know which I'm inclined to expect to see is the case) - though I've just realised that the following activity wasn't recorded in "exercise" mode on the fitbit, so it wasn't measuring as often as it could have been.

This is two HR graphs from yesterday's session of a 15min warm up on the bike, 3 intervals of 3mins work, 4 mins recovery, then a 10min warm down.

Fitbit:image.thumb.png.133abdfa48621d78e581627803dba1d1.png

Garmin: image.png.c61be3d1cd411d8b2478772bf23cce4c.png

And it's fairly common to have a lowest HR value first thing in the morning, since you'll have been lying down for a few hours and your heart won't have had to battle against gravity to get blood to your head.

Bit of an update. I’ve loosened it slightly and dropped it further down towards my hand and it seems more accurate in terms of when I’m resting . Woke up a couple of times last night and it was 55-56 which is about right for me when at full rest . 

We got a new toaster recently and it's so far given me two tales to tell.

I wondered if we put the old one at the end of our drive whether the scrap-men would take it. Then we went for a walk and someone on the next street had put the exact same toaster at the end of their drive. Ain't that weird? 

This morning, I popped bread in to the new toaster, pulled it down and noticed two inches of bread still sticking out the top.

Of all the things you might want to consider when buying a new toaster, "does the bread fit in it?" shouldn't have to be one of them.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

We got a new toaster recently and it's so far given me two tales to tell.

I wondered if we put the old one at the end of our drive whether the scrap-men would take it. Then we went for a walk and someone on the next street had put the exact same toaster at the end of their drive. Ain't that weird? 

This morning, I popped bread in to the new toaster, pulled it down and noticed two inches of bread still sticking out the top.

Of all the things you might want to consider when buying a new toaster, "does the bread fit in it?" shouldn't have to be one of them.

This is a rather muted version of “my wallet isn’t big enough to hold all my cash!” humble brag.

My brand new toaster can’t handle my massive bread!!

• Haha 1

What is it with my missus buying vibrators for other people. She bought her prude sister one for her birthday about 3 years ago and it’s still in the box apparently. Now I’ve just found out she’s bought one of her close friends one for her birthday, because her friend has never had or used one. Thing is I reckon her fella will use it just as much as she does as he’s into that type of thing . 

22 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

It should pop up more often.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Talking of well received gifts. I bought my nan a new kettle for Christmas and it's given her PTSD from the war. 

She said it reminded her of the kettle on the gas rings during the blitz and also the first unexploded bomb she saw in East London.

I felt bad, bit my sister and I had a bit of a giggle.

• Like 1

Â