General Chat

Stevo985

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Help, I'm seeking off topic solace. 

I don’t really post in on topic anymore, far too reactionary for me (although one of the off topic threads got moved into on topic after I had posted so I guess I’ve made an appearance there by accident). I’ve been in other football recently, the seductive allure of discussing Steve Bruce was just too much. It was kinda like finding an old pair of slippers you’d thrown out and just trying them on again to see if there was indeed any life left in them for old time’s sake.

But on topic.....I’m tired just thinking about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t really post in on topic anymore, far too reactionary for me (although one of the off topic threads got moved into on topic after I had posted so I guess I’ve made an appearance there by accident). I’ve been in other football recently, the seductive allure of discussing Steve Bruce was just too much. It was kinda like finding an old pair of slippers you’d thrown out and just trying them on again to see if there was indeed any life left in them for old time’s sake.

You could be me. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I get dragged into it sometimes but try not to! I need to check myself sometimes and remind myself that its just a game and everything in it is beyond my control. 

• Like 1

Ok, following on from a WhatsApp 'debate' i've had with some mates tonight...

There has always been a stigma about grassing/snitching. Whats your thoughts on it? Never justifiable? Not a problem? Ok in some circumstances?

Just want to get a feel for the room... 

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Common experience - not going in there for a couple of weeks, resetting the threads, enjoying it for a few minutes, and then remembering why I stay away.

Definitely not venturing anywhere near it until after (hopefully) the Southampton match.

Other Football is fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

There has always been a stigma about grassing/snitching. Whats your thoughts on it? Never justifiable? Not a problem? Ok in some circumstances?

Morally essential in some circumstances, opposite in others. Depends what it's about really.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

We’ve snitched up car thieves that lived across the road and would do similar again without hesitation.

Other stuff, it’s complicated innit.

I think it has to come down to your own perception about what the transgression was.

I'd grass in a murderer. In the bad old days of lockdown 1.0, I wouldn't have grassed up someone that went for a second walk in a day.

There's a huge grey area that is mostly influenced by how much of a nob the other person is.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it has to come down to your own perception about what the transgression was.

I'd grass in a murderer. In the bad old days of lockdown 1.0, I wouldn't have grassed up someone that went for a second walk in a day.

There's a huge grey area that is mostly influenced by how much of a nob the other person is.

Never against the rules anyway :P

(Though given how zealous the enforcement was, they'd probably have arrested said citizen anyway)

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

What have you done Alex.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit of a broad question.....if it’s grassing up a colleague for a misdemeanour in order to get ahead then no, if it’s grassing up your neighbour for killing and chopping up his missus then yeah, probs justifiable 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Do parents tell their kids not to tell on other kids at school? Or is that just in US family sitcoms? That’s where the idea of the no snitching etiquette takes root isn’t it?

My niece has known snitches get stitches since she was about 3

hasnt stopped her though

its everywhere now, ingrained in hip hop, tv, films, even the likes of the simpsons with Johnny tight lips, then you have the sopranos and the godfather etc with rats 

• Thanks 1

As for snitching, depends what it is, used to live opposite a coke dealer, drove my ex nuts but didn’t bother me, or was crazy obvious, we even worked his system out (take away boxes by unmarked drivers) they were quiet and brought no trouble to the street, she wanted to snitch and I said no, unfortunately I was on a stag do the weekend they smashed his front door down

grew up on a council estate and you knew people were in to this and that but by and large it wasn’t on your doorstep so nobody was that bothered, can remember a busy body do gooder got a couple of kids asbos and the vilification was aimed at her and not them

mate cheating on his missus that’s a pull to one side and have a chat especially if he has kids but grassing is a big no

thieving and shop lifting is a no, drugs is a no, drinking driving is a “stop being a prick” 

beyond that I don’t think my mates are actually involved in much else

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My niece has known snitches get stitches since she was about 3

hasnt stopped her though

its everywhere now, ingrained in hip hop, tv, films, even the likes of the simpsons with Johnny tight lips, then you have the sopranos and the godfather etc with rats

Thinking about it with my niece that came from “don’t be a tattle tale” because she would be playing with her brother and every five minutes was moaning about him not let her play with this toy or that toy or coming up with bullshit for attention like that he pushed her etc

22 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What have you done Alex.....

Ha! Nothing, it was just a conversation with mates. Couple of my mates were dead against 'grassing' of almost every kind. Me? I'd do it no problem. Just depends on your own sliding scale of what you deem acceptable or not acceptable. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Xela said:

what happens in the Soi cowboy stays in the soi cowboy is my motto

i think as others said , if I knew someone had committed a murder then there is an obligation to snitch on them ... if someone did a job cash in hand to avoid tax then meh , someone else can grass them up 

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

if someone did a job cash in hand to avoid tax then meh , someone else can grass them up 

I'll start grassing them up when the Megacorps start paying their fair share of tax, until that point its fair game for us all.

• Like 1

Â