General Chat

Stevo985

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mr Peel gets off very lightly whenever people discuss pervs at the BBC.

This is his time in America? He was always up front and honest about that. 

Edited by Seat68

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is his time in America? He was always up front and honest about that. 

Yeah, up front and honest is fine. But he was 26, she was 15, he later said he’d thought she was 16. That’s not an awesome defence. Then there was Nevin, she was in school and he was 30. It’s a bit ropey. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, up front and honest is fine. But he was 26, she was 15, he later said he’d thought she was 16. That’s not an awesome defence. Then there was Nevin, she was in school and he was 30. It’s a bit ropey. 

I agree. Its a difficult one for me as he was a huge part of the musical side of my life and without question a real hero of mine. I have pictures of him hanging in my house. How can I over look his past but have the same issues with Jimmy Page. I do though, but thats a reflection on me. There is no excuse to say it was a different time. He used his power to groom Jane Nevin. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

He used his power to groom Jane Nevin

Not according to Jane Nevin, he didn't. 

Seriously, we may as well just lock up every single male (and probably a few female) rock musician right now, because you can guarantee that every last one of them is 'guilty' by the lights of current thinking. 

We are in great danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we try and draw an absolute equivalence between (a) bottom-pinchers like Dave Lee Travis, (b) advantage takers with (frankly, predatory) teenagers, like every rock musician, ever, and (c) the true evil bastards like Savile. 

Not being as bad as Savile isn't the most compelling defence of a nonce, to be honest. And I have to say, putting the blame on the teenagers isn't something I expected to read. I don't think I've ever seen a 13 year old that looked legal.

Standards have changed, and we shouldn't judge people too harshly by modern standards. I also don't think that people's work should be tarnished or cleansed from history because of unrelated personal acts. But I'm not buying "they were all at it then". Any older posters on here that recall thinking it was ok to shag 13, 14, 15 year olds?

Edited by Davkaus

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not according to Jane Nevin, he didn't. 

Seriously, we may as well just lock up every single male (and probably a few female) rock musician right now, because you can guarantee that every last one of them is 'guilty' by the lights of current thinking. 

We are in great danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we try and draw an absolute equivalence between (a) bottom-pinchers like Dave Lee Travis, (b) advantage takers with (frankly, predatory) teenagers, like every rock musician, ever, and (c) the true evil bastards like Savile. 

She was 15. He was a successful DJ. I overlook a lot and this doesnt change my opinion of him but in my opinion he groomed her. It just wasnt known by that name. 

Every case is different, and hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was discussing this with my missus - who is as feminist as they come - and even she says that she knew girls of 15 who were very promiscuous and knew exactly what they were doing, going after older blokes. Now, I know all the counter-arguments, and yes, of course said blokes should know better, and listen to their consciences, but realistically... it happens. I think attitudes have changed for the better nowadays, and nobody should use ignorance as an excuse. My point is also that once you start a witch hunt, it never ends. It's like Germany in 1945 - the victorious allies decided to hang the top few dozen Nazis, imprison a few hundred, and then turn a blind eye to the tens of thousands of Germans who were guilty of crimes against humanity. Why? Because somebody had to be left to run the country, and to punish the guilty on such a scale would ultimately be counterproductive to building the peace. The thing was to try and ensure it didn't happen again. Where do you draw the line? Of course some of the kids involved were victims of grooming, even if it wasn't seen that way at the time. And, yes, sadly, 'letting it go' means that justice may not be done, and the guilty go unpunished. But I still maintain that it's better to identify the most serious offenders (the Saviles and Glitters), and educate the rest (and their modern day equivalents) into a more responsible attitude. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure if I had a 15 year old daughter in a relationship with a 30 year old bloke that’s previously shagged other school kids, I’d just accept that ‘it happens’.

People did though, a chemistry teacher in our school was going out with a fifth year in secret, in became official when she was in the sixth form. When she left school, they got married

And by "in secret" I mean snogging in a cloakroom during lunch hour. The whole school knew, nothing was done, parents must have been OK with it and that was the end of the '70s

Societal acceptance of such behaviour has definitely changed

Back then there was a group called PIE, the Paedophile Information Exchange who were pretty open about the changes they wanted to see in the law, they even recieved Government money (I think) and were linked to Liberty and a Gay Rights campaign. Yes there were lots of people that objected to them but there were also a lot of people in and around all three political parties and the civil service that had connections or were even members.

None of that would happen now, society has changed (for the better)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure if I had a 15 year old daughter in a relationship with a 30 year old bloke that’s previously shagged other school kids, I’d just accept that ‘it happens’.

Of course not, and neither would I. But that doesn't invalidate my argument. 

On 27/11/2020 at 16:40, It's Your Round said:

I used to know a few and wasn’t too bad myself, but that was in a previous life. Don’t know if he can help but you could try asking @danceoftheshamen

Hey i am guilty. Dance music is my passion..been playing out all over since 1990 right up to when Covid hit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/11/2020 at 12:46, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Weird question of the day. 

Anyone know any DJ's (Dance music) ? 

Sure.

The majority have hung up their cans after having kids, going bald and raising familes. 

A couple still had residencies until Covid hit.

• Thanks 1

Seems my post match comment in the match thread about my West Ham mates being full of shit got screen captured and quoted on the West Ham forums this morning

Awkward  in the WhatsApp group today :)

I've tried to blag it by saying I know who  that tonyh29 is, and he's a top bloke  , but don't think they are buying it :)

• Haha 2

Â