General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Here's a long ramble.

I read about Tommy Ball recently, the Villa player murdered at his home in nearby Perry Barr. Then I listened to a podcast about Willie Clarke, Villa's first black player in 1901, who lived just off Witton Road before moving to Nechells.

It made me realise that most of the Villa players probably lived very close to Villa Park in the late 19th and early 20th century. Obviously they wouldn't have been driving their sports cars from Four Oaks to Villa Park everyday, where I assumed they trained? Did they even train?

Then it made me think about how the players travelled to away games in those early years. It wouldn't have been so bad for the first few seasons as all the teams were from the Midlands and the North West so were relatively close. But what about when teams from the North East and London joined the league? Woolwich Arsenal having to travel up to Newcastle. There were no motorways, so did they sit on a rickety old bus for 10 hours, play the match, and jump back on the bus? Did they stop over in hotels instead? I just couldn't picture any of it.

Then I realised they probably took the train.

I'm not very busy at work today.

In 1953, Derek Tapscott signed for Arsenal.

He got a knock on the door, where he was living at home with his parents, a guy was there with a letter from Arsenal requesting an interview and a trial. The guy also had a train ticket for him.

He put on the good family shirt he shared with his dad and headed off to London. Arsenal signed him, put him up in digs and kept him there.

So his dad never had a shirt for a couple of weeks until they had the money to buy another one and post it back home on a train.

• Haha 1

I won the draw again today to go and watch the football on the weekend.

But as before, I’ve had to decline. So some other bugger can have my place.

I’m sorely missing the stupid chit chats and jokes and singing whilst a game goes on behind us.

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I won the draw again today to go and watch the football on the weekend.

But as before, I’ve had to decline. So some other bugger can have my place.

I’m sorely missing the stupid chit chats and jokes and singing whilst a game goes on behind us.

Half of Crosby have suddenly been going to see Marine play all their life

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Half of Crosby have suddenly been going to see Marine play all their life

One of our ex players, Modou, he’s playing for them at the moment and I’m absolutely chuffed for him. Great guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

One of our ex players, Modou, he’s playing for them at the moment and I’m absolutely chuffed for him. Great guy.

The goalkeeper ran straight from the game in the last round, in full kit, to the Co-Op up the road to buy the beers for the team!

• Like 3

First day in the office, in Solihull, since mid March today. I have to go in to drop off a load of laptops, the thing is I am really looking forward to it. Since march I have interacted with 5 people outside of my immediate family and I don’t mind saying, it was getting to me. 

I decided i needed to do a bit of genital husbandry just now so i reached for my tube of Nads hair removal cream. It was the first time i had used the cream since my orchiectomy.

I had forgotten how much this cream a) stinks and b) stings. It was definitely a case of great balls of fire (or ball, in my case). It was effective though and was absolutely the preferred alternative to dragging a razor blade across my sack, especially with my eyesight and trembling hand 😳

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I decided i needed to do a bit of genital husbandry just now so i reached for my tube of Nads hair removal cream. It was the first time i had used the cream since my orchiectomy.

I had forgotten how much this cream a) stinks and b) stings. It was definitely a case of great balls of fire (or ball, in my case). It was effective though and was absolutely the preferred alternative to dragging a razor blade across my sack, especially with my eyesight and trembling hand 😳

Perhaps you should start a new thread entitled "Enter at Your Own Risk"

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Xann said:

For once quite pretty.

Clapham Junction.

Schoolboy error, you should have gone to the city end of the line and taken a photo there so I could point out that the song wasn't written about there

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Schoolboy error, you should have gone to the city end of the line and taken a photo there so I could point out that the song wasn't written about there

There's quite a big Kink in the line - he might not have caught the setting Ray

How strange, had not really thought about it.

Only caught the snap because I fell asleep, missed Clapham Junction, woke up in Vauxhall, got off at Waterloo, then returned to Clapham Junction.

You've not seen my phone Bicks. For a recognisable pic you've got to within 5 meters or sky :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Oh you’re talking about the kinks.

So I’ve been humming “up the junction” for the past 25 minutes for nothing then.

You squeezed that in nicely. 

• Haha 1

Â