General Chat

Stevo985

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by how uncontroversial the non-binary gender discussion has been. I expected the worst. Good job, VT. 

I agree, but there's a couple of posters who spring to mind who haven't contributed yet. I wouldn't celebrate just yet

Edit: yeah what @Xann said

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I've had it possibly 30 years now, not in a particular severe way, in that it doesn't really bother me most of the time but I think thats because I've just learned to deal with it. It's why I play music a lot in the house as that seems to take my mind off it.

Ironic really music caused it and music is my solution

Exactly the same for me. Oddly, it sometimes stops completely, for days, weeks, or even months. But it always comes back. It's a sort of low level sound somwhere between whistling and sizzling. Used to be left ear only, but recently the right has started up too, and at any one time it could be either, both, or neither. Loud music caused it, loud(ish) music can mask it. 

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by how uncontroversial the non-binary gender discussion has been. I expected the worst. Good job, VT. 

The power of persuasion is quite strong. What I mean by this is that when @Xann posted

21 hours ago, Xann said:

On the brilliant/lunacy trip.

Kate Tempest has had a lifestyle change. No longer a 'she', but a 'they'.

my thoughts were kind of "she's [they're] brilliant...so all good".  I don't actually care one way or the other. The whole "celebrity" interest thing rates nil interest on my scale anyway, but if someone you admire does something, then it's easy to "support" or understand. If it had been someone I don't admire I might have thought "oh, cripes more attention seeking celebrity narcissism".

But the aspects that are controversial (not with regard to Kate) are around balancing rights - protecting women who were born women and identify as women from people who were born male and identify as female for nefarious purposes, versus protecting rights for people who are genuinely "in the wrong body". And then the second issue of protecting young people who may make choices around surgery that they come to regret over time, due to pressures from peers, the internet and so on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I've had it possibly 30 years now, not in a particular severe way, in that it doesn't really bother me most of the time, but I think that's because I've just learned to deal with it. It's why I play music a lot in the house as that seems to take my mind off it.

Ironic really music caused it and music is my solution

Me too, though for not as long. Background sounds mostly mean I don't notice it, but silence and it's pretty annoying. To an extent I can kind of tune it out most of the time, without getting rid of it.

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

But the aspects that are controversial (not with regard to Kate) are around balancing rights - protecting women who were born women and identify as women from people who were born male and identify as female for nefarious purposes, versus protecting rights for people who are genuinely "in the wrong body".

The problem is that in practical terms what everybody who wants to 'protect women' in this way wants to do is remove rights and protections that were granted by the 2010 Equality Act.

55 minutes ago, blandy said:

The power of persuasion is quite strong. What I mean by this is that when @Xann posted

my thoughts were kind of "she's [they're] brilliant...so all good".  I don't actually care one way or the other. The whole "celebrity" interest thing rates nil interest on my scale anyway, but if someone you admire does something, then it's easy to "support" or understand. If it had been someone I don't admire I might have thought "oh, cripes more attention seeking celebrity narcissism".

But the aspects that are controversial (not with regard to Kate) are around balancing rights - protecting women who were born women and identify as women from people who were born male and identify as female for nefarious purposes, versus protecting rights for people who are genuinely "in the wrong body". And then the second issue of protecting young people who may make choices around surgery that they come to regret over time, due to pressures from peers, the internet and so on.

They's name is Kae, don't deadname them you bigot!

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The problem is that in practical terms what everybody who wants to 'protect women' in this way wants to do is remove rights and protections that were granted by the 2010 Equality Act.

QED

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly the same for me. Oddly, it sometimes stops completely, for days, weeks, or even months. But it always comes back. It's a sort of low level sound somwhere between whistling and sizzling. Used to be left ear only, but recently the right has started up too, and at any one time it could be either, both, or neither. Loud music caused it, loud(ish) music can mask it. 

Yes, mine does either go away completely or I've learned to completely tune it out at a certain level. I find it gets worse the more run down I am. Lockdown has been great for it tbh as I've been sleeping better but I've had two shit nights sleep in a row (Thunder and lightning both nights) and today and yesterday its back with avengence

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Me too, though for not as long. Background sounds mostly mean I don't notice it, but silence and it's pretty annoying. To an extent I can kind of tune it out most of the time, without getting rid of it.

Yep, silence is annoying. It's why I often go to sleep with the telly on for an hour, usually a program I have zero interest in. But I also find that pink or white noise can help me sleep too

FYI @NurembergVillan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree, but there's a couple of posters who spring to mind who haven't contributed yet. I wouldn't celebrate just yet

Edit: yeah what @Xann said

My ignore list has doubled over the last few months.

I know it’s petty, but I don’t want to waste my time reading that type of shite anymore.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My ignore list has doubled over the last few months.

I know it’s petty, but I don’t want to waste my time reading that type of shite anymore.

I've never ignored anyone - does it alter the way a conversation between the blocked/unblocked has?  

I can't let words on a screen annoy me, I just skip passed if there's something I know I won't agree with. 

STOP CENSORING PEOPLE YOU COMMIE! 

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It's comedy from over the edge they span off.

They is dizzy :D

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I've never ignored anyone - does it alter the way a conversation between the blocked/unblocked has?  

I can't let words on a screen annoy me, I just skip passed if there's something I know I won't agree with. 

STOP CENSORING PEOPLE YOU COMMIE! 

Who said that?

• Haha 2

I see the value in muting/blocking but as an example lets say someone is an ardent trump lover, as an example. I find every single other post apart from Trump deflection is good to read. 
I think there is value in everyones posts. 

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I see the value in muting/blocking but as an example lets say someone is an ardent trump lover, as an example. I find every single other post apart from Trump deflection is good to read. 

I don't.

Mine, for example, are just awful.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is my approach most of the time. But there are some very obvious exceptions around at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â