General Chat

Stevo985

Tomorrow will be the first non weekend day off I have had this year. Of those weekends I have worked over half of them and the week averages 60 hours. Its not a pissing contest but I am ready for this. 
That said I have a week booked in august, September, October and December. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Is it hard to emigrate to Canada?

I looked into this a while back as we were looking to move to Vancouver but never went through with it for family reasons. From what I remember it was relatively straight forward, points based off stuff like education, career and finances and the younger you were the better. Also depends if you're going for permanent residency or a work permit (set nimbers of those available). 

Of course you could just marry a Canadian. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I looked into this a while back as we were looking to move to Vancouver but never went through with it for family reasons. From what I remember it was relatively straight forward, points based off stuff like education, career and finances and the younger you were the better. Also depends if you're going for permanent residency or a work permit (set nimbers of those available). 

I think she's available:

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Is it hard to emigrate to Canada?

if you have a job offer I think its relatively straight forward

if you're under 30 then google the international experience Canada program

after that its a federal skilled worker application, they have a similar system to oz and NZ in that its a point scoring system based on education, French language skills but then also where what you do scores on their job shortage list, if you're a doctor you get more points than a post man, if your job is low on that list then you can kind of forget about it

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I've got about 5 weeks of annual leave to take before the end of the year. Looking forward to getting away for a few days in the UK. Not sure where yet but fancy a return to the IoW

They have found real dinosaur bones there now as well. Some creature similar to a T-Rex

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if you have a job offer I think its relatively straight forward

if you're under 30 then google the international experience Canada program

after that its a federal skilled worker application, they have a similar system to oz and NZ in that its a point scoring system based on education, French language skills but then also where what you do scores on their job shortage list, if you're a doctor you get more points than a post man, if your job is low on that list then you can kind of forget about it

Qualified Management Accountant?

On 14/08/2020 at 07:44, Rds1983 said:

Lucky I did 🙂

On 13/08/2020 at 20:22, Xela said:

I've got about 5 weeks of annual leave to take before the end of the year. Looking forward to getting away for a few days in the UK. Not sure where yet but fancy a return to the IoW

Ive got loads of al left. Have until march 2021. Was meant to use most for wedding but thats obv cancelled now.

Think employers are going ti be in a pickle with employees leave

We were told we needed to take half our allowance before the end of August (to stop the inevitable nobody working at all in December). 
For me personally it was fine as I took a longish holiday in Feb. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

We were told we needed to take half our allowance before the end of August (to stop the inevitable nobody working at all in December). 

I know that employers can tell employees when to take holiday (with the requisite notice) but that sounds a little iffy.

Indeed it sounds quite inconsistent with (the thoughts behind) carrying over statutory annual leave in to the next two holiday years - as per the temporary law change introduced by the Government.

Edited by snowychap

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know that employers can tell employees when to take holiday (with the requisite notice) but that sounds a little iffy.

Indeed it sounds quite inconsistent with carrying over statutory annual leave in to the next two holiday years - as per the temporary law change introduced by the Government.

I’m not sure how much resistance there was behind the scenes. Our business has had some eye watering losses so I think the general feeling is go along with things that help protect the business in the short and medium term. I wouldn’t have minded “chipping in” if I hadn’t naturally complied anyway.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Indeed it sounds quite inconsistent with (the thoughts behind) carrying over statutory annual leave in to the next two holiday years - as per the temporary law change introduced by the Government.

Does that law change apply to public service employees as well?

If it does we certainly have not been told about it. Usually you 'may' be allowed to carry a maximum of 5 days leave at your managers disgression. With most managers in the nhs that ive experienced they dont allow you to carry any as they hide behind 'service needs'

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure how much resistance there was behind the scenes. Our business has had some eye watering losses so I think the general feeling is go along with things that help protect the business in the short and medium term. I wouldn’t have minded “chipping in” if I hadn’t naturally complied anyway.

If that were the feeling, though, surely some sort of call to all pitch in together and do this as it was good for all would be a better course of action?

It's not that it isn't understandable why the business would want or need that kind of thing to happen - how they go about it says a lot about what they think of their staff (and should say a lot to their staff about what they ought to think back).

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does that law change apply to public service employees as well?

If it does we certainly have not been told about it. Usually you 'may' be allowed to carry a maximum of 5 days leave at your managers disgression. With most managers in the nhs that ive experienced they dont allow you to carry any as they hide behind 'service needs'

I'd assume so, Dem. It was about statutory holiday not contractual holiday.

I think it was announced at the end of March. How/whether it made it in to legislation (surely they weren't lying!), I don't know. I can have a look at the link for you.

Edit: This is the Gov announcement -

Workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave entitlement due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry it over into the next 2 leave years, under measures introduced by Business Secretary Alok Sharma today (Friday 27 March).

Currently, almost all workers are entitled to 28 days holiday including bank holidays each year. However, most of this entitlement cannot be carried between leave years, meaning workers lose their holiday if they do not take it.

There is also an obligation on employers to ensure their workers take their statutory entitlement in any one year – failure to do so could result in a financial penalty.

The regulations will allow up to 4 weeks of unused leave to be carried into the next 2 leave years, easing the requirements on business to ensure that workers take statutory amount of annual leave in any one year.

...more

And this is a commentary on it by a legal firm:

On 27 March the Government amended the Working Time Regulations 1998 (WTR) to allow carry forward of up to four weeks accrued holiday leave. This will allow leave to be taken sometime in the following two years but only where the holiday leave was not taken in this current holiday year as a result of the effects of coronavirus on the worker, the employer or the wider economy or society.

...more

So it looks like they did amend the regulations.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

Â