General Chat

Stevo985

Things going crazy again around here with wildfires.   We had a big lightning storm come through the area a few days ago (a rare occurrence in these parts) in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave and it sparked a bunch of fires because the vegetation is so dry.  One of my employees, who lives on the coast side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, got an evacuation order late yesterday for his community and has no idea if his house is still standing.   The same area got hit a couple of years ago, but not so close to dwellings.   There are definitely houses burning now.   This is for the most part highly vegetated mountainous terrain, not densely populated and includes Big Basin Redwoods State Park, home to some truly majestic trees that are hundreds of years old and now potentially in danger.

That's just the fires between us an the coast.   There are others around the SF Bay Area and the rest of the state.  Visibility is poor, air quality is poor.   I work in a hospital, with far better air filtration than normal businesses or residences, and the air smells like smoke and my throat is feeling scratchy.

Until the last couple of decades you didn't really see a lot of big fires in the northern part of California.   One of the effects of global warming has been the spread of the fire risk to north and to higher elevation.   It's now a yearly occurrence.   I'm just waiting for Trump's accusation that it's all because the Democrats who run California have been doing a horrible job of managing the forests (not enough raking of the forest floor, dontcha know).

• Sad 1

On 19/08/2020 at 13:54, il_serpente said:

Things going crazy again around here with wildfires.   We had a big lightning storm come through the area a few days ago (a rare occurrence in these parts) in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave and it sparked a bunch of fires because the vegetation is so dry.  One of my employees, who lives on the coast side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, got an evacuation order late yesterday for his community and has no idea if his house is still standing.   The same area got hit a couple of years ago, but not so close to dwellings.   There are definitely houses burning now.   This is for the most part highly vegetated mountainous terrain, not densely populated and includes Big Basin Redwoods State Park, home to some truly majestic trees that are hundreds of years old and now potentially in danger.

That's just the fires between us an the coast.   There are others around the SF Bay Area and the rest of the state.  Visibility is poor, air quality is poor.   I work in a hospital, with far better air filtration than normal businesses or residences, and the air smells like smoke and my throat is feeling scratchy.

Until the last couple of decades you didn't really see a lot of big fires in the northern part of California.   One of the effects of global warming has been the spread of the fire risk to north and to higher elevation.   It's now a yearly occurrence.   I'm just waiting for Trump's accusation that it's all because the Democrats who run California have been doing a horrible job of managing the forests (not enough raking of the forest floor, dontcha know).

I'm so sorry. 

Ever since since I first visited California I'd hoped one day to be rich enough to retire there. Now though, it's on fire for 3 or 4 months of the year.
My in laws and nieces and nephews are in Davis near Sacramento. Every day we've been saying, "You can come here, just drive" (we're in Colorado now.) 

I hope they don't have to evacuate but seriously: Isn't every year worse and worse in living memory? What has to happen before the bozos in charge realize?

• Like 2

On 19/08/2020 at 20:54, il_serpente said:

Fake news, Trump has already told you ain't no such thing as global warming. 

16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm so sorry. 

Ever since since I first visited California I'd hoped one day to be rich enough to retire there. Now though, it's on fire for 3 or 4 months of the year.
My in laws and nieces and nephews are in Davis near Sacramento. Every day we've been saying, "You can come here, just drive" (we're in Colorado now.) 

I hope they don't have to evacuate but seriously: Isn't every year worse and worse in living memory? What has to happen before the bozos in charge realize?

It does seem like each year gets worse.   Even if radical policies to address climate change were adopted, it's too late to reverse the trend with fires, I'm afraid.  Towns in forested areas are pretty much all at risk going forward.  A lot of people, my wife and I included, have had visions of retiring to areas like that and now have to seriously recondiser.

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

It does seem like each year gets worse.   Even if radical policies to address climate change were adopted, it's too late to reverse the trend with fires, I'm afraid.  Towns in forested areas are pretty much all at risk going forward.  A lot of people, my wife and I included, have had visions of retiring to areas like that and now have to seriously recondiser.

I hope you are correct and the Redwoods do survive. Thousands of years of growth would never be replaced. 

All I can say is Colorado seems pretty sweet so far (2 weeks in.)

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I hope you are correct and the Redwoods do survive. Thousands of years of growth would never be replaced. 

All I can say is Colorado seems pretty sweet so far (2 weeks in.)

What part of Colorado, and how long are you there for?  

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

What part of Colorado, and how long are you there for?  

Denver - got a job just before the lockdown and unless something unforeseen happens it's permanent. It's a perfect move for us at this point in our lives with a toddler. We now have a back yard!

We also have family in Santa Fe (5&1/2 hours away) a town we love and where we work there in the summer - it's also closer to my wife's family (California) We still own our apartment in Manhattan but we'll rent it out for 2 years and then see where the market is.

Loving Denver so far. My sister in law in in Davis, CA however -  fires are 20 miles from their house :-((

Stay safe yourself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The redwoods actually need the fires in order to propagate. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

But isn't there a tipping point? Some fire good, too much fire and things get irreparably damaged?

For the redwoods? I don't believe so.

For everything else? Definitely.

• Thanks 1

Â