General Chat

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's fine to not get it, if you and almost everyone you know see yourselves as a binary man/woman, and it's all you've ever known, it can seem a bit weird or confusing. But just be respectful and call people what they want to be called, it's easy.

I think within the hopefully not too distant future, transphobia will be as widely frowned upon as homophobia, and a lot of people will be quite embarrassed. 

I absolutely don't mind calling "them" (formerly "her"), whatever "they" like in person - so as not to be rude.  But it's very difficult in written word to type that way.  

I also don't like that "They/them" is a grouping word, used for a singular person, it's odd to type. 

I'm not transphobic or gayist, as they say ( ;)), I do struggle to be told what to and not to say though.  The only way I can I can say retard now is through a south park gif :lol:  (that's not true). 

But yea, best of luck to the fella "one of us! one of us!" :lol:  

:P  

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

My youngest told us a few months ago that they see themselves as non-binary and would like to be they/them instead of she/her.

No issue for me, and it wasnt exactly a surprise.

The only thing I struggle with is remembering how to refer to them 🙂 but it's getting easier as time goes by.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

My youngest told us a few months ago that they see themselves as non-binary and would like to be they/them instead of she/her.

No issue for me, and it wasnt exactly a surprise.

The only thing I struggle with is remembering how to refer to them 🙂 but it's getting easier as time goes by.

If you don't mind me asking - how old.. are they?  And why? 

Today was my missus' birthday. So I got her a card and a sort of expensive painted hair brush. The hair brush was symbolic as it was just a physical gift before the day of spa pampering and hair cut I also got her. She was so enamoured with the hairbrush she thought it was the main present. A 'kin hairbrush. 

Should I cancel the appointment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Today was my missus' birthday. So I got her a card and a sort of expensive painted hair brush. The hair brush was symbolic as it was just a physical gift before the day of spa pampering and hair cut I also got her. She was so enamoured with the hairbrush she thought it was the main present. A 'kin hairbrush. 

Yea, and buy shit loads of the same hair brush.

good mythical morning agree GIF by Rhett and Link

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If you don't mind me asking - how old.. are they?  And why? 

They are 16. They have never really had any interest in either sexes from a romantic point of view and over the last few years their dress has become very gender neutral. They are not gay, or have any intention of changing sex but just don't see themselves as either female or Male.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

They are 16. They have never really had any interest in either sexes from a romantic point of view and over the last few years they dress very gender neutral. They are not gay, or have any intention of changing sex but just don't see themselves as either female or Male.

Soooooo... do they sit down to piss or stand? 

NOT INCLUDING LAZY PISS SESSIONS! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

If it's refundable then of course.  You already clearly done good and earned all of the sex.  Might as well have a few quid extra in your pocket too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

They are 16. They have never really had any interest in either sexes from a romantic point of view and over the last few years their dress has become very gender neutral. They are not gay, or have any intention of changing sex but just don't see themselves as either female or Male.

Would you still refer to them as your daughter?  Genuine question.

Gay and androgynous friends refer to themselves as he/she. The gay guys interchange. "Look at HER" squawked in mock surprise is a comedy standard.

'They' makes me think schizophrenia.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I also don't like that "They/them" is a grouping word, used for a singular person, it's odd to type.

I'm always quite surprised by this.

The singular they is not a new innovation - the novelty is merely in its specific relation to someone identifying as non-binary.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm always quite surprised by this.

The singular they is not a new innovation - the novelty is merely in its specific relation to someone identifying as non-binary.

Yep, usually when the gender of the person is not known and you don't want to assume.

I do it at work all of the time.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep, usually when the gender of the person is not known and you don't want to assume.

I do it at work all of the time.

Quite so. "When the new team member is appointed, somebody will need to ask them whether they need a parking spot". It's less clumsy than "... ask him/her whether he/she needs a parking spot". 

On the other hand, it does still feel a bit weird to say: "Mary says they would like a cup of tea". 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

It tends to be 'my youngest child/kid'.

It's a bit of a minefield (especially at this early stage) but as I said before, it's something I'll get used to because it makes them happy.

‘The nipper’ ‘one of the kids’ ‘my youngest’ ‘the spare’ ‘the one in Uni’

I quite like the change in language, not least, as I have no need to know the marital status of women, which is something I’m surprised is still a thing. Although apparently the ‘Mrs’ does deter some males from trying it on, though not all. So a gentle tweek to the way we speak can kill multiple wildfowl with one stone. The minefield needs some leeway from both parties, it is quite a new way of talking so don’t feel like you have to get it right first time every time. Equally, if some grammar Nazi jumps on your first error in a heavy handed way, you can gently tell them to ease up a little.

We have friends at various points along the rainbow. As I don’t have a pressing urge to shag or be shagged by any of them, whether they have a penis and what they like to do with it is kinda irrelevant. In the nicest possible way, I couldn’t care less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

‘The nipper’ ‘one of the kids’ ‘my youngest’ ‘the spare’ ‘the one in Uni’

I quite like the change in language, not least, as I have no need to know the marital status of women, which is something I’m surprised is still a thing. Although apparently the ‘Mrs’ does deter some males from trying it on, though not all. So a gentle tweek to the way we speak can kill multiple wildfowl with one stone. The minefield needs some leeway from both parties, it is quite a new way of talking so don’t feel like you have to get it right first time every time. Equally, if some grammar Nazi jumps on your first error in a heavy handed way, you can gently tell them to ease up a little.

We have friends at various points along the rainbow. As I don’t have a pressing urge to shag or be shagged by any of them, whether they have a penis and what they like to do with it is kinda irrelevant. In the nicest possible way, I couldn’t care less.

Bullshit. When I had more hair, less of a waist a friend of mine proposed me. He was a ridiculously good looking man. I dined out on that for a good ten years. I was married so had to knock him back, but my life it does the ego wonders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Bullshit. When I had more hair, less of a waist a friend of mine proposed me. He was a ridiculously good looking man. I dined out on that for a good ten years. I was married so had to knock him back, but my life it does the ego wonders. 

A yes, now that scenario is a reversy Percy. That is someone hitting on you, at which point, if you are in the market then it does become valid to work out the ins and outs.

We have had similar situations here. I’m very average, but the wife of one of the guys likes to think she’s a bit of a catch and on a couple of occasions has been more than flirty. But I’m just not interested. Two reasons, one I’m just not that kinda guy. Second, if I was, it wouldn’t be with some attention seeking butterfly collecting wife of a long standing mate, preoccupied with her own tits.

Similarly, my missus was given a free hover mower (no, I don’t think that is a euphemism). Turned out her work colleague had thought it was the start of something wonderful. Well it was for me. I got a free hover mower.

• Like 1

Â